Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

I'm not sure how valid the claims that Travis hasn't been pushed aside will turn out to be.
"Keeping up with progress via the Internet"? I'm doing that!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

JOE SOAP

As the director, if you're not in the edit-suite, you're not on the film.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I think it's a bad sign that the Director they hired to direct the Film is then cut out of the editing room. Your Director has his own image of the Film he's been commissioned to shoot while on the other side the writer and Producers have THEIR own version of the Movie. That's the problem.

The Producers tend to have a monetary view of the Production ie:Box office receipts while the writer or Director may have more Artistic goals set. You can see that some sort of conflict is inevitable but usually they can sort something out but it seems this has ended in the Nuclear option-Fire the Director.

Either Peter Travis didn't understand the world of Judge Dredd at all, something I find hard to believe since he doesn't strike me as someone who'd just do the first Film offered to him and think of the Pay check or they really had totally different views of the material to begin with. How come it took them so long to figure out they weren't 'right' for each other? Either some very poor communications were taking place or they really didn't get on and that does not bode well for the DREDD Film. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

MattJW

But, creative differences or not, we have heard lots of good things about this Dredd film. The footage is in the can and it just needs to be pieced together. It's not like the director was fired halfway through, with someone else coming in to carry on shooting, a la Superman II (still a good film) and The Wolf Man.

As already noted, Blade Runner was tinkered with by the studio but I love the theatrical cut.

As long as Travis's work has created good scenes and visuals, things should be alright, providing the producers etc cut it in such a way that the movie retains artistic merit.

There is always the chance that a good director will come in to film a few bits and pieces to add to the film.

PreacherCain

Oh dear.

Is this a case of a director trying to fix a bad script or producers trying to fix a bad director?  Or a bit of both?

weehawk

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2011, 12:42:46 PM
QuoteIt's not like this is studio intervention. It's been their vision from the start.

I was hoping Dredd would be 2012's District 9. Really hope that it doesn't turn out to be 2012's Conan the Barbarian[/i]...

Well, I actually very much liked this year's Conan The Barbarian. Maybe not a "great" film, but not the abomination it was made out to be, either. I feel certain a director's or extended cut will make more justice to it. The film felt like an 80's Marvel comic of Savage Sword of Conan written by Roy Thomas or Michael Fleischer. That's how the film worked for me.

So, anyway, I, personally, could think of worse for Dredd than to turn out like CTB(2011).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: weehawk on 08 October, 2011, 05:56:26 PMSo, anyway, I, personally, could think of worse for Dredd than to turn out like CTB(2011).

There's optimism for ya.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I still feel that the more control Alex Garland has the better the film will turn out. He has a good track record and is clearly eager to make a good film.

Pete Travis' previous films are shit.

clavell

This is always a bad sign, especially if they end up doing reshoots, but there's a bit of hope. It usually means the direstor hasn't covered all the "marketable points" they want - like a comedy sidekick, a love interest, and a heart warming message. That would mean there is actually a good film to be had from what was shot. We'll just have to wait for the bland theatrical cut to fail, then get a rushed DVD, then finally a "director's cut". Either way, it does't look like they expect a good box office, and are trying to "fix" the film.

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

radiator

QuoteI still feel that the more control Alex Garland has the better the film will turn out. He has a good track record and is clearly eager to make a good film.

Pete Travis' previous films are shit.

Agreed. I'd be a damn sight more worried if it were Garland, Macdonald and Reich (who between them have created some of my favourite films) getting sidelined.

I haven't seen anything Travis has worked on previously (except for the episodes of Cold Feet he directed), so can't comment on his work, though a lot of people seem to really hate Vantage Point.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 08 October, 2011, 06:28:11 PMPete Travis' previous films are shit.

Omagh is not a shit film.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 October, 2011, 06:36:03 PM

Omagh is not a shit film.
[/quote]

OK, granted, I haven't seen that one, but Vantage Point and Endgame are awful. So considering his best film is a tv movie (according to IMDb) I stand by my previous point.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: clavell on 08 October, 2011, 06:33:10 PM
This is always a bad sign, especially if they end up doing reshoots, but there's a bit of hope. It usually means the direstor hasn't covered all the "marketable points" they want - like a comedy sidekick, a love interest, and a heart warming message.

That doesn't apply to this film and the director doesn't 'cover' those points, the script does which would be Garland's job. The problems are probably the style and tone of what Travis was shooting in accordance with the script and how he intended for it to cut but that was what he was hired to do.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 08 October, 2011, 06:38:41 PM
OK, granted, I haven't seen that one, but Vantage Point and Endgame are awful. So considering his best film is a tv movie (according to IMDb) I stand by my previous point.

Not really, TV movie or not it's only a matter of budget that separates them -it got a cinema release internationally- Omagh is a better feature script to work from than the others so maybe the problems are down to Garland?

dracula1

Really enjoyed Vantage Point,...Travis handles high octane action really well. Hope they let him complete his job and vision on DREDD.