Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Gnomeo and Juliet I really enjoyed- and I was opposed to watching it walking in. However it was delightfully silly in places and good fun.

However last night I trekked to Leicester to Watch True Grit with Mini-Bolt. Awesome film with superb performances all round.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Van Dom

Megamind.

Like Tordelback, I loved it. Lots of good laughs, nice twist on the superhero/villain thing,and just good fun all around. Even my 3 year old sat quietly in his seat for the whole thing and only asked once if it was "nearly over" that was a first (he usually asks that question about fifty times from about minute 3 onwards).

I didn't know Will Ferrel was the voice actor until the closing credits. Damn, another Will Ferrel movie that I loved, the guy can do no wrong for me. The last movie I watched before this was The Other Guys and that had me in stitches as well.

Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Van Dom on 16 February, 2011, 10:34:08 AMDamn, another Will Ferrel movie that I loved, the guy can do no wrong for me.

I can cure you of this affliction quite easily: Bewitched.

Van Dom

Quote from: Professah Byah on 16 February, 2011, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: Van Dom on 16 February, 2011, 10:34:08 AMDamn, another Will Ferrel movie that I loved, the guy can do no wrong for me.

I can cure you of this affliction quite easily: Bewitched.

Haven't seen it!!! Better not!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

House of Usher

Last film I watched (this evening) was a Mexican film called Leap Year.
STRIKE !!!

The Big Man

I watched The Haunting In Connecticut yesterday and I'd really like those 90 minutes back. The extras on the DVD were a lot better than the film. Modern horror film-makers are so bloody lazy with their insistence on using sudden music stings and fast cuts to tell the audience when to be scared.  >:(
"Is there a problem here ?"

House of Usher

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 February, 2011, 10:17:13 AM
Gnomeo and Juliet I really enjoyed- and I was opposed to watching it walking in. However it was delightfully silly in places and good fun.

I'm curious to know: in the end, does Gnomeo commit suicide by poison, having killed Paris in a knife fight, and does Juliet do herself in with Gnomeo's dagger upon seeing his lifeless corpse? Just wondering.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 February, 2011, 10:55:13 AM
I'm curious to know: in the end, does Gnomeo commit suicide by lawnmower, having killed Paris in a Fishing Rod fight, and does Juliet do herself in with Gnomeo's pointy hat upon seeing his lifeless corpse? Just wondering.

This is what the wife and I concluded after some speculation.  Cheery stuff.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: The Big Man on 18 February, 2011, 10:45:57 AM
I watched The Haunting In Connecticut yesterday and I'd really like those 90 minutes back. The extras on the DVD were a lot better than the film. Modern horror film-makers are so bloody lazy with their insistence on using sudden music stings and fast cuts to tell the audience when to be scared.  >:(

Agreed. I've pretty much given up on US horror, but therre have been some real gems from Europe in the last few years - Rec & Rec 2, Rare Exports, Martyrs, Frontiers... the French in particular are producing some truly disturbing stuff lately.

Tiplodocus

The ending to Gnomeo and Juliet...

[spoiler]After chatting to a statue of William Shakespeare about the tragic ending of his play(a phoned in performance by Patrick Stewart), Gnomeo heads back to Verona Drive where all hell is breaking loose. The Blue Gnomes are seeking vengence as they believe Gnomeo was crushed by a truck and have unleashed a Terrafirminator Lawn Mower on the Red Gnomes.  The lawn mower goes mental and starts destroying all in it's path.  

It's heading for Juliet when Gnomeo arrives on the back of a plastic pink flamingo. He leaps to save her... and fails.

There is a massive explosion and the gigantic water feature on which Juliet was fixed is destroyed, half the garden levelled.  Miraculously none of the gnomes are hurt. Not even Gnomeo and Juliet who were slap bang at the heart of the explosion.  

Everybody gets up and for some reason agrees to live happilly ever after.  

They don't even go to the abandoned garden that was set up as a possible home for them in reel two.  There's no reason given as to why they survived the explosion (just luck) or why everyone decides to live together (they just do).  

They then make some jokes along the lines of "See, I told Shakespeare we could come up with a happier ending" and do a very poor song and dance number in which dead characters (Tybalt) come back to life.[/spoiler]

The credits list about 8 writers (Shakey is notably absent from the list) none of whom could even be arsed to apply the slightest bit of logic or thought to the ending.

As a parent, you often get dragged along to films taht you don't want to see. Pixar have totally raised the bar over the last dozen years so when you end up at something as cack-handed as this, it really grates.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SmallBlueThing

Disney's The Black Hole.

First time since original cinema release in 1980, this was. I only got a copy because I'd read they were gearing up for a remake, and I figured they may well follow the same pattern they did with Tron, and make it unavailable to the paying public beforehand. So, Ebay was my friend.

As a ten year old, I remember this as being alternately boring and terrifying in equal measures. It was the one sci fi movie I didn't beg my mum to take me to see multiple times- once was enough. Though I also remember having and loving the action figures- which lived in my Star Wars figure box quite happily for years and probably dissappeared when I flogged them all to Polly Lewis's little brother so I could buy a BMX. Never rented or bought it on VHS and didn't even know it was available on DVD.

It was only when I read about the possible remake that I started thinking about it again. A quick check revealed it was only 95 minutes long, so I thought I may as well get it.

Oh bejeezus. Yes, the script is toss. Yes, the acting is an exercise of watching nominally "good" actors give up the will to live gradually over the course of an hour and a half- though Tony Perkins comes out more or less intact and Roddy MacDowell is consistently great as the voice of VINcent. And yes, the science is just ridiculous... but, bloody hell!

The visuals! So many gorgeous, terrifying and terrifyingly beautiful pictures! The ship- the Cygnus- is all girders and horrifyingly bleak industrial gubbins... then the lights come on, and suddenly it's a glorious caged lantern in space. The actual effects are wonderful- there's barely a shoddy shot, barring a couple of obvious matte lines. It's still hard to work out just how did the floating robots.

But it's the incidental nastiness that impresses- there's some very vivid imagery that seems designed to scare the hell out of little boys. Despite having no conscious memory of most of the film, every single image turned out to be burned into my brain at a depth of thirty years- and every one popped up as the movie unfolded. Too much to go into here, but the visuals in conjunction with the sound design are just so impressive- The humanoid reveal, Maximillian screaming like a baby as he meets his end, the jaw-dropping meteor sequence and most especially the ending, [spoiler]with the merging of Maximillian and his creator (Actor Maximillian Schell, in Maximillian's shell, in Maximiliian's Hell) to stand like a demonic spider atop a humanoid-infested rocky outcrop in a literal Inferno, while the "goodies" follow an angel to... somewhere else.[/spoiler]

Breathtaking in it's attempt to be a cross between 2001 and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Unbelievable that they got so much right- so much resonates over thirty years. But also amazing that so much is so wrong. A better script, a more convincing cast- it could have been a kid's Alien.

But, just pure mentalist brilliance, of a kind, I thought.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 February, 2011, 09:30:49 PM
Disney's The Black Hole.

Did you say Disney's The Black Hole?  I'm truly shocked.  ;)

I don't think I've seen this film since I saw it in the cinema, but I still have vivid memories - possibly due to having numerous bubble-gum cards to remind me of the highlights.  Must track down a copy. 

Emp

Up to me to lower the tone a bit....with Knucklehead.

A complete load of unoriginal tosh.....but highley enjoyable (if you dont expect much)and/or have kids to amuse.

Mardroid

The Black Hole has a great sound track too.

I remember my mum won the record. (I can't remember how or why she entered the competition.) Very atmospheric music.