Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I remember the theatrical release of Daredevil being excrement but seeing the original cut, it is a vast improvement. The Electra/Murdock stuff was badly handled but when he's Daredevil the film works really well, surprisingly so, and the costume is on-the-nose. It's an under-rated, maligned film -a lot due to going with the wrong cut for theatrical release- but it's got more going for it than Superman Returns. As has been noted it's got a more original ending, handled in an unpretentious way, than most other superhero flicks whose endings bore me to tears ie. Iron Man 1 & 2, Batman 1 & 2.

The non-metal/incidental music works really well too- strikes a great character tone.

Dandontdare

I agree with most of the DD comments, a pretty good film, but both DD and Eleektra were pretty charisma-free characters; and no I didn't understand why growing up in the Bronx meant you should dismiss your guards and take on a superhero one to one (or why the Kingpin had to be black for that matter).

Colin farrell ws the ebst thing in it as Bullseye, though when he said "I want a costume" I was hoping for the traditional balck and white mask, not just a long leather coat. And why was DD's costume an odd purple colour rather than striking scarlet?

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 March, 2011, 10:31:56 AM
...or why the Kingpin had to be black for that matter...

I imagine that was more a specific desire to cast MCD for his sheer mass and signature easy turn from charm to menace and back again than any decision about race.  He was good in the role, I just got no clue from the movie as to who, why or what Fisk was.  

I can't agree that it was anything resembling a good film, but there were good solid elements, hidden somewhere under the ghastly music, strobe-lit fight scenes and pouting. 

Professor Bear

There's no reason for the Kingpin to be white.  His race has nothing to do with the character, it never has.

I liked the Daredevil movie and think it's just as good as the first Spidey outing.  Yes, it's a little overblown and melodramatic and wallows relentlessly in misery, but these things are what the comic book is known and revered for, from Frank Millar's iconoclastic but borderline-parody noir, to more recent runs like Bendis and Brubaker's that treat the thing like a telemovie about breast cancer but without the upbeat ending - just more misery leading into more misery leading into more misery and stories about THE PAIN and THE ANGST of being a super-lawyer by day and a radar man who looks like Satan and punches supervillain drug lords in the head by night, though only if he's not fighting zombie ninjas, being king of the zombie ninjas, hanging out with Thor and Iron Man, or beating up genocidal space-robots with a club on top of a mountain of skulls.

The movie is aimed at teenagers.  Most forget that, and the trappings (wangst, moping, soundtrack) are entirely appropriate for something that's just supposed to be flashy and kill an hour or two of their time so they aren't out doing knife crimes for their next fix of Red Bull.  Director's cut is much better, all the same.

For those not willing to watch Elektra, which I imagine are many, at least check out the 'Making of' featurettes if you can.  Some of the actors - particularly the lass who plays the poisonous lass - are so hilariously vacuous that I'm not sure that the documentary is some kind of Spinal Tap-style meta-joke I'm incapable of comprehending.  God Bless Terence Stamp for keeping a straight face as Stick, though.  Dude's a trooper.

Keef Monkey

Just watched Martyrs. It'll probably be a while before I know exactly how I feel about that one, but I know I don't feel particularly happy.

mogzilla

ridley scott's robin hood... not too bad a film but could have been called anything as it was a sort of prequel that felt all the gang shoehorned in there for bums on seats puposes only...

a bit of a let down after alien,black hawk down and the hovis ad.

The Adventurer

Quote from: mogzilla on 31 March, 2011, 07:26:43 PM
ridley scott's robin hood... not too bad a film but could have been called anything as it was a sort of prequel that felt all the gang shoehorned in there for bums on seats puposes only...

a bit of a let down after alien,black hawk down and the hovis ad.

They way I hear it, the move was suppose to be called Nottingham, and it was suppose to be from the Sherif's perspective. But that changed during the preproduction/script writing phase. Which is why its such a hodgepodge of a movie.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

mogzilla

i would ve liked that hte sherrif was probably the best character in it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 March, 2011, 10:48:22 AMI can't agree that it was anything resembling a good film, but there were good solid elements, hidden somewhere under the ghastly music, strobe-lit fight scenes and pouting.  

Quite, and I've yet to see a moment as interesting in any other super'ero flick as interesting as DD standing atop a roof saying to himself 'I'm not the bad guy, I'm not the bad guy...'. He is Marvel's 'Batman' after all and it dramatised that 'moral' conflict in a simpler, better way than the Nolan flicks.

Hoagy

I just watched Choke. By the first ad beak I thought, the writing is really good. So, on checking Wiki about it, it turns out its based on Chuck  of Fight Club writer's book Choke. And Sam Rockwell fast becoming the laid back, US version of Gary Oldman, he's great in it.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Krombasher on 01 April, 2011, 02:11:10 AM
I just watched Choke. By the first ad beak I thought, the writing is really good. So, on checking Wiki about it, it turns out its based on Chuck  of Fight Club writer's book Choke. And Sam Rockwell fast becoming the laid back, US version of Gary Oldman, he's great in it.

Really enjoyed that movie, I reckon Sam Rockwell's massively underrated as he's brilliant in everything he does.

chris_askham

I saw Where The Wild Things Are the other night, which was pretty strange.

I was originally going to watch it with my 7 year old daughter, but she found the first 20 minutes or so too freaky and wanted to watch something else, so not really a kids film I don't think (which is pretty bizarre considering it's based on a picture book). I think the themes of the film are too incomprehensible for kids, and the monsters aren't funny or cute enough.

In fact, the monsters are down right scary. There's is something deeply unsettling about all of the Wild Things. They're dangerous, unpredictable and violent. Wild things, basically. I really enjoyed the film, but it was too much for my 7 year old. And if she was any older, she would probably dismiss it as being too childish without attempting to watch it(kids today...!). Maybe I'll try again when she's 20 or so, and can maybe appreciate Spike Jonze.

Professor Bear

I took girls aged 4, 6 and 10 to that film and they loved it.  Found it a bit bleak myself, but then again that ties into Max's isolation after alienating himself from his mum and not being able to entirely separate the eventual shape of his imaginary world from the influence of his guilty conscience (the only female presence on the island being a calming and rational voice who lives in isolation, for example).

Dandontdare

I'm currently watching Excalibur on ITV2 - I've loved this movie a long time! (Adolescent crush on Helen Mirenn notwithstanding)

I really love versions of classic stories that can be constantly retold (King Arthur, Robin Hood, Romeo & Juliet, Alice in Wonderland etc) and this is my favourite of all the Arthur films.

PS:
Fvourite Robin: the one with Sean Connery as an old Robin, or the TV Robin of Sherwood
Favourite Romeo & Juliet: Baz Luhrman's version
Favourite Alice: Jan Svankmajer's 1988 animated freakfest

Emp