Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: James Stacey on 07 May, 2011, 08:08:24 PM
13 Assassins. I was expecting some over styalized House Of Flying Daggers type affair and got a solid old school samurai epic. Takashi Miike isn't Kurosawa but he gives it a bloody good go. Some of the characters seemed to be lifted from Seven Samurai but I'll forgive him that. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.
Not seen this yet, although I'm planning to. However, it is a remake of a sixties samurai film and I'm guessing there are some pretty stock characters in there.
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

Endhiran. Take a bit of Frankenstein, mix it with a pinch ofBicentennial Man, add a smattering of Terminator and crumble in a couple of ounces of The Matrix before baking in the Bollywood oven at Gas Mark THX 1138 and serving with a liberal dollop of The Sound of Music and you have Endhiran, a film about a robot. With songs.

It's a pile of utter pap, but absolutely the best pile of utter pap you will ever see in your life. I loved every minute of this, but I really can't tell you why. Well, this may have something to do with it...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Orlok

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It did make my viewing of Robot (obviously given an English title for the blissfully ignorant Emirates flyer) all the better for having the lovely Aishwarya Rai in it.

Emp

Those look suspiciously like original BSG Cylons in the background!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

James Stacey

Quote from: The Cosh on 07 May, 2011, 08:34:49 PM

Not seen this yet, although I'm planning to. However, it is a remake of a sixties samurai film and I'm guessing there are some pretty stock characters in there.
So it is, that might explain the character choices. Although according to Wikipedia it's also based on a true story which I'm surprised at unless it's 'loosely based' :)

Kerrin

Cedar Rapids, pretty good little film, an outstanding boorish performance from John.C.Reilly.

TT3D, fuckin' awesome. I was hoping for plenty of 3D onboard footage but it was not to be, I'm guessing Real3D cameras are still big old units. Conor Cummins' crash, (which he miraculously survived) elicited a collective, "F-u-u-u-u-c-k" from the audience.

El Chivo

Let Me In
The US remake of Let The Right One In
Almost exactly the same so...
Arsom!...I guess

Chi

klute

Robin Hood (2010) not bad or good quite watchable...i enjoyed it and didnt get to wrapped up in folk lore and RH mythology.

It seemed to end in a way that would suggest sequel (to me atleast) whether they bother with a sequel with russell crowe or some one else remains to be seen.

BUT should a sequel EVER be on the cards i'd prefer to see russell take the lead role again despite the critics.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Kerrin

PRIEST, in 3D. Oh. My. God. Biblically atrocious. Heaven knows how much money they spent on this unholy abomination but every single cent of it was a sinful transgression. Bad film!

Just about the only redeeming feature is Karl Urban hamming it up in a Defoe hat.

Piss poor.

Hoagy

Yeah, Jonah Hex felt similarly vacuous. I was prepared to like it best I could. But directing and editing were really stilted. Why do the after-death conjecture? And why build in a comic style prologue that's not a prologue and totally drain any Western style tension out of the film patronising the 15-year-olds desperate for this film to pull their ideals out of the doldrums?

If this film had a word that underpinned its its central narrative it has to be; doldrums.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

kriss_kringle

Last night I rewatched Buffalo soldiers.Good movie and quite funny at times.

chris_askham

The original Last House On The Left - a bit disappointing really.

Hoagy

Scott Pilgrim and Inception. Both enjoyable audio-visual feasts.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

I, Cosh

Saw Attack the Block this evening. A lot of fun with some ingenious alien effects that did a really good job of getting by on a budget. I suppose the obvious reference point would be Shaun of the Dead and I'd say it was substantially better than that.

Then made it a double bill with Fast Five. Simply glorious in its own way. From the first ludicrous set piece to the last manly cliffhanger this is B movie heaven.
We never really die.