Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

I enjoyed both versions of Daredevil. The Directors cut is probably the better of the two but the original cut is still a very enjoyable film. I might even watch it tonight in a double bill with X Men 3.

SmallBlueThing

Haha! Excellent, Colin- that's right, goad them, GOAD THEM!!

In fact, i myself may watch a double bill of my new favourite MARVEL MOVIES: Man Thing and Ghost Rider. No, hang on, Punisher: War Zone and Electra! Haha! Yes, this is fun!

SBT

Ghastly McNasty

I caught the end of Daredevil on TV the other night. Terrible.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I saw Super last night. I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

A real grown up version of Kick Ass with much deeper and more interesting themes. Ultra violent and chocked full of gore. Great acting, crazy characters. Very disturbing and very emotional. Proper hardcore superhero film.

Tiplodocus

I also saw FAST & FURIOUS FIVE (bought as a blu ray to test my new player) and it is indeed ludicrously entertaining.  The opening bus crash sets the tone for the rest of the movie and like CF says, the big set pieces don't disappoint: Train Heist, Million Dollar Quarter Mile, Vin vs. The Rock and the final heist.

Picking holes in the plot (there are many WTF? moments) would be pointless; it's all about the muscle whether that's in the cars or on the leads and all is shown magnificently so (The Rock is especially good).

I think it's down the the sheer belief the crew, director, producer and actors have in what they are putting on the screen. They genuinely believe that the cars and the Vin/Rock fight tell you a bit about the characters.  And they are right, they do.

I'm actually going to go so far as to RECOMMEND it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 16 September, 2011, 01:20:56 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I saw Super last night. I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

A real grown up version of Kick Ass with much deeper and more interesting themes. Ultra violent and chocked full of gore. Great acting, crazy characters. Very disturbing and very emotional. Proper hardcore superhero film.

I enjoyed 'Super' all right but it'll more than divide an audience. The tone is unexpectedly well handled throughout for what could have been a completely awful viewing -watching clips of it isolation hints at that- but it manages to beat Kick-Ass at the same conceit -what it would be like if real people became vigilantes- but with K-A it's a false premise cos by the end the characters more or less become 'Super-human' in skill and the premise is dropped becoming a typical 'supe' film, albeit superior than any of the DC/Marvel final acts.

Kick-Ass is still incredibly enjoyable, better constructed, slicker than 'Super' and worth the watch alone for Cage's powerhouse performance as he takes down a warehouse of baddies -surprisingly it could be the best version of 'the Dark Knight' ever on-screen- but 'Super' is the braver, more uncomfortable and 'true' execution of the idea.

I wouldn't want to see more superhero films like 'Super' as it does go the whole way of putting on a costume, hurting people, the consequences that follow and is more or less saying this doesn't work unless you're a very troubled person.

What struck me most is the delibreate decision to not show any effective law-enforcement presence in either film. An interesting comment to make.

Colin Zeal

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 16 September, 2011, 12:26:16 PM
Haha! Excellent, Colin- that's right, goad them, GOAD THEM!!

In fact, i myself may watch a double bill of my new favourite MARVEL MOVIES: Man Thing and Ghost Rider. No, hang on, Punisher: War Zone and Electra! Haha! Yes, this is fun!

SBT

I'm not trying to goad anyone. Unless I get hammered and stay in the pub too late this evening then at least one of X3 or DD will be watched.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Watched The Guard last night.

:lol:

It was better than I was expecting. Brendan Gleeson's performance is faultless, he is one of the World's Finest Living Actors.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Went to see Troll Hunter today. Not really scary enough to qualify as horror, and the plot could have been better, but overall I enjoyed it. Some really funny moments - a very likeable film. Recommended.

One of those films that would have been better if I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand, though.

Tiplodocus

JUST GO WITH IT.

I do have a (rational) dis like of Adam Sandler but he reels in his obnoxious man child persona enough to make this an enjoyable rom-com. 

Sure you know exactly how it's going to end, there are absolutely ZERO consequences shown to the web of lies that have made up the plot, they don't play around as much as they could have with the multiple leveles of parallel lying going on but there are some good laughs to be found, the child actors are absolutely fantastic (Including a brilliant "Cor Blimey, Guvnor, it da rippa, e' dun annuver" turn) and the two female leads out-hot each other in bikinis.

This was my first go at streaming a movie from Sony's QRIOCITY.  We had a couple of glitches - which we thinkl may be a dodgy phone line giving us the problem - but otherwise the experience was pretty good.

Professor Bear

Hammer double bill, with Horror of Dracula, an X-rated flick in its day and now something that you could show on a Saturday morning.  Does watching Chris Lee be a vicious bastard ever get old?  I don't think it does, but for some reason he's a decent chap in The Devil Rides Out, which has a bit where everyone gets into a huge protective circle because the Devil is coming, then just leave their kid in the next room.  These people are terrible parents.

It being the fourth outing for the dumb as a bag of hammers Fast And The Furious series, it's probably too late to start mentioning dodgy racial stereotypes or how Vin Diesel seems to be getting confused what characters he's playing in his films - this time out not even flinching when shot but looking kind of grumpy in a sort of "You don't fire bullets at Vin Diesel you fire Vin Diesel at bullets" Vin Diesel Facts kind of way like he's playing a parody of himself rather than an actual human protagonist as seen in the first film - and Michelle Rodriguez bugs me in anything on account of being a cock so it was nice that she got killed off in this so I don't have to worry about her mug in fast Five when I get to it, but these are mad criticisms for this kind of film because it's not like I can say "I expected more from this third sequel to a Vin Diesel film about car racing" so instead I shall use visual aids to explain all three acts of Fast And Furious:

Hawkmumbler

Sadly, I watched Cobra yesterday.
There was no G.I.Joe's to be seen. :(

Tiplodocus

I caught a bout twenty minutes of Cobra a while back. It has (in particular, the action) dated very badly.

Tom Cruise and Steven Speilberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS.  Tiny Tips declared it to be "the best film he has ever seen!".* 

He particularly liked the bits where they have to keep quiet as alien probes come into the cellar looking for them.**

He also liked that Tom Cruise played against type and wasn't a cool action hero in full control.***

The sheer spectacle of it all hides some pretty intense stuff (humans blown to dust, victims being spiked and blood drained and sprayed to feed the red weed, careering locomotives in flames, rivers of corpses) but actually it felt like a pretty good update to me. Except [spoiler]the son miraculously turning up [/spoiler] at the end.

*I naturally pointed out that it's not even the best film Steven Speilberg or Tom Cruise have made

** I naturally pointed out that it's not even the best bit that Steven Speilberg has filmed where they have to keep quiet as probes come looking for them

*** I naturally pointed out that it's not even the best film where Tom Crusie played against type and wasn't a cool action hero in full control

brendan1

Julia's Eyes.

Spanish thriller which has some effective scenes, but is largely absurd and nonsensical and not at all scary. Think Guillermo may have produced it, certainly had some "From the ...blah blah...Pan's Labyrinth" on the sleeve, to give it some gravitas that it scarcely merits.

Main actress has great tits, though, especially for an older lady.

mygrimmbrother

Attack the Block - turned it off after about 20 minutes. Hated it. Maybe I just couldn't adjust to the tone of it, having just watched all 5 series of The Wire beforehand. But I suspect I'm making excuses for it - I think I would have hated it regardless.

Jane Eyre - cold and detached, not a patch on the BBC version from about 5 years ago. I love Fassbender but it was all gothic brooding without even a dash of humour. And Mia Wasikowska wasn't nearly plain enough - her bone structure is far too sophisticated!

Limitless - best film I've seen in a while, better than Source Code by miles too (the nearest film of recent times I can compare it to)

Red State - absolutely frikkin' brilliant, breath-taking and like a punch in the face (in a good way). And I'm not even a Kevin Smith fan anymore, haven't been for years.

Buddy

X Men Origins Wolverine last night followed by X Men First Class.

Enjoyed Wolverine but was underwhelmed by First Class.