Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 07 January, 2020, 02:53:40 PM
I wish they'd just bring Gallifrey back properly.
Surely a powerful Time Lord society which may take an interest in The Doctor's activity offers more story opportunities than the 'last Time Lord' angle.

Seconded. The Doctor as rogue/overly-involved Timelord bending the rules is so much more appealing than Only Timelord in the Whole Universe Who Alone Can Save It. I had always assumed this was a temporary situation used to simplify the re-introduction of the character and give him some kind of clear direction/motivation, but not unlike the TARDIS' chameleon circuit the Doctor seems to have become stuck in Lonely God mode.

Although this is hardly my biggest issue with the show, nor is it a change that'd fix its problems. A bit of tight writing is what's needed above all else.

Hawkmumbler

I'm enjoying Season 12 so far!

That is my in depth analysis, I will not be taking questions, good day.

Colin YNWA

Well ... er... I mean you could see what they were going for ... they tried for old school Who... looked like it at times too! And like they left us in absolutely no doubt of the theme AS. THEY. SHOUTED. IT. STRAIGHT. IN. OUR. FACES...

...so who needs a sensible plot, decent character with even half formed motivations and stuff like that.

Least Graham was a bit more on form this time.

dweezil2

Well that was a badly edited dog's dinner!  :o :thumbsdown:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

pauljholden

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 January, 2020, 09:16:27 PM
Well that was a badly edited dog's dinner!  :o :thumbsdown:

You know, this was my thought too - some nice shots (on a budget) but man alive that editing was not good.

-PJ

Tiplodocus

Do you think there was a whole subplot about Benni (and other guests) transforming into Dregs?

Plus, I always thought Dr. Who just travelled in time. Not to altetnate timelines. Or have I had it wrong all along?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

M.I.K.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 January, 2020, 09:27:32 PM
Plus, I always thought Dr. Who just travelled in time. Not to altetnate timelines. Or have I had it wrong all along?

There is a precedent for that kind of thing.

Leigh S

Not quite a precedent, as that is the Doctor finding himself in an alternate Dimension, not an alternate timeline. 

They basically Dr Who 60s Annualled it to make the point they wanted to make, which seems...very odd. 

Quote from: M.I.K. on 12 January, 2020, 09:42:39 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 January, 2020, 09:27:32 PM

There is a precedent for that kind of thing.

Andy Lambert

There was a precedent set in "Pyramids Of Mars" when the Doctor showed Sarah Jane what the Earth in 1980 would look like if they left it to Sutekh's mercy.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Leigh S on 12 January, 2020, 09:45:32 PM
Not quite a precedent, as that is the Doctor finding himself in an alternate Dimension, not an alternate timeline.

Depending on which theory you go with, it could be argued that it's basically the same thing. I think he says somewhere in the episode that he got there by moving "sideways through time".

Leigh S

yeah, Pyramids of Mars is an apt comparison, though that was put in to show why the Doctor had to get involved - if they knew the future was safe having travelled (and come from there), why bother...?   so the question should really have been bigger here - what has been done (or the Doctor NOT done) for that to be the future?  They could ahve made something of that - instead, it does contradict the way time travel is (99% of the time) used in the show

Another example I can think of might be the Space Museum? But the show has been surprisingly consistent for something running 50 plus years over multiple production teams, especially the first 20 when they did not care about what had gone before

Leigh S

But he is clearly shocked at finding himself there - normal time travel does not result in differing outcomes for the future, and if anything, Inferno supports a 4 dimensional solid version of the Doctor's exploits.

The scene in Pyramids does contradict that to be fair, though it is there to up the peril for kids who might ahve had the same thought as Sarah does, even if raises more questions than it answers!

Quote from: Leigh S on 12 January, 2020, 10:06:14 PM
yeah, Pyramids of Mars is an apt comparison, though that was put in to show why the Doctor had to get involved - if they knew the future was safe having travelled (and come from there), why bother...?   so the question should really have been bigger here - what has been done (or the Doctor NOT done) for that to be the future?  They could ahve made something of that - instead, it does contradict the way time travel is (99% of the time) used in the show

Another example I can think of might be the Space Museum? But the show has been surprisingly consistent for something running 50 plus years over multiple production teams, especially the first 20 when they did not care about what had gone before

IndigoPrime

That was awful. Mrs IP's review was "that was fucking stupid", along with "what's with all the self-sacrificing?"

We just watched an episode of The Expanse to wash away the taste. I sincerely hope things improve, because that's a third of the series done and we've had one good/promising episode, one messy disappointment and one steaming turd.

Leigh S

As I've seen others point out, if [spoiler]the death of Earth is just one possible timeline, then so is the death of Gallifrey from the end of last weeks,[/spoiler] so no problem? 

IndigoPrime

Although that plot point of course goes against basic Doctor Who lore. Then again, Chibnall doesn't care about that, nor SF. Quite what he's doing show-running Who, I've no idea.