Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Withnail and I

A god amongst men. A truly hilarious comedy set to a distinctive back drop of class and great cinematography. Richard E. grant and Paul "IM BAAAACK!" McGann pull off some very memorable performances, say nothing of Richard Griffiths fantastic Uncle Monty. What a fantastic little film and i'm shocked it's taken so long for me to see it.

Theblazeuk

A firm favourite in the family. One day I will attempt the drinking game....

Also ET may take a few liberties when he crashes at Elliott's but The Navigator kidnaps a small child, experiments on his brain, wipes his memory and returns him to Earth ten years after he was snatched, thus ruining his entire life and that of his family.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 December, 2013, 09:54:20 AM
Also ET may take a few liberties when he crashes at Elliott's but The Navigator kidnaps a small child, experiments on his brain, wipes his memory and returns him to Earth ten years after he was snatched, thus ruining his entire life and that of his family.

It [spoiler]does all work out in the end[/spoiler], you know.  I like that the 'happy ending' of the film is actually the [spoiler]improved relationship between David and Jeff[/spoiler], rather than anything cosmic (man).   

sheldipez

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 December, 2013, 09:54:20 AM
A firm favourite in the family. One day I will attempt the drinking game....

What I wouldn't give to get away from my parents for ten years during my childhood, I knew there was something struck a chord with that movie  :lol:

Theblazeuk

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2013, 10:04:12 AM
It [spoiler]does all work out in the end[/spoiler], you know.  I like that the 'happy ending' of the film is actually the [spoiler]improved relationship between David and Jeff[/spoiler], rather than anything cosmic (man).

Aye but only because The Navigator ended up needing David again - if it hadn't crashed there would be [spoiler]no time travel. And what model of time travel is this? Maybe for David, it seems like he's right back at home. But really he's in an alternate timeline... and in the one he just left, a broken family weeps at seeing their boy returned only to disappear once more. [/spoiler]

I may be mostly joking. This and Short Circuit were my favourite kids movies.

pictsy

Short Circuit is another one!  I dread to think how that may have aged.

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 11 December, 2013, 11:17:13 AM

Probably better than Short Circuit 2- so bad even Guttenberg bailed.

Dandontdare

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 December, 2013, 12:26:07 AM
12 Angry Men

Astonishing awe-inspiring film. Still shines as brightly as it did when I saw it seven years ago - and is even spellbinding at 56 years old. As a character drama you literally can't get bet, the principal cast don't even have names - and you spend 90 minutes or so in their company. Brilliant drama about morality, prejudice and personal doubt. Thank the gods we don't have a death sentence.

one of my old time favourite movies. It was one of the few films I actually bought on video when I got my first VCR back in the day and still gets dragged out every few years (or whenever I meet someone who's never seen it). There's a stage version on in the West End at the moment starring Martin Shaw and Robert Vaughan.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 December, 2013, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 11 December, 2013, 11:17:13 AM

Probably better than Short Circuit 2- so bad even Guttenberg bailed.

But we need a hero (doo doo doooooo)

pictsy

Continuing the list of child hood films that I fear to watch because of nostalgia and potential disappointment:

*batteries not included

If this film aged badly I'd be shattered.  Absolutely adored it in my youth.

JamesC

Flight of the Navigator is ace. Saw that at the ABC in Great Yarmouth. I hear a remake is on the cards.

Another favourite of mine was Batteries Not Included. Love those UFO aliens.

Goonies was always crap. I remember being quite disappointed after renting it from the video shop because it had a very Indiana Jones style cover but turned out to be noisy rubbish. I think its spiritual successor may have been Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - another film where kids shout ARRRRRRRGHHH for 90 Minutes.   

I loved Short Circuit and still have a soft spot for it. There are some great scenes where Number 5 is learning about the world - Need Input!
I love the bit where he disassembles Ally Sheedy's nasty boyfriend's car.

Other favourites as a child were The Last Starfighter (Death Blossom!), Back to the Future (obviously) and Gremlins (but this was a 15 so I wasn't able to watch it until it was out on video despite getting the official sticker album free with Buster comic).

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 December, 2013, 11:01:00 AM
I may be mostly joking. This and Short Circuit were my favourite kids movies.

I like the way you think!  I reckon this is 'proper' time travel, i.e. the type where loops once closed cease to be, there's only one timeline and the resulting paradox (David's knowledge of and actions caused by events that never happened) is left largely unaddressed.  The ones where alternate universes (i.e. the one David ends up in) are created in order to resolve paradoxes is just having your cake and eating it (although it's always struck me that the only workable form of time-travel would be one where an alternate universe is created as soon as you emerge in the past, that is to say, one with future-you in it).

Short Circuit is a grand little film, with Guttenberg and Sheedy at their most likeable (they were both likeable once, honestly), although Number 5's voice is a bit harsh on adult ears. Just imagine how terrible it would look now if Number 5 had been a CGI effect.  As it is he's a nice plausible prop, and that laser doohickey is very cool.

Short Circuit 2 is unspeakable.

Daveycandlish

Ah, the Last Starfighter :-)
Santa is bringing me that on blu-ray soon. I still love it
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JamesC

The thing I really like about The Last Starfighter is that, although he wants to escape his ordinary life, the main character still has love and affection for the community he leaves behind and when he returns they are all ultimately nice supportive people.

pictsy

The Goonies

It's like I remember it.  It was kinda nice to be re-acquainted with this film and all it's silliness.  I was actually surprised how the shouting kids actually sound like proper kids.  Anyway, it was fine.

The Goonies is of course life changing.  When I saw it for the first time I went from a life without having seen The Goonies to a life of having seen The Goonies.  An amazing transformation  :lol: