Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 June, 2016, 10:55:32 AM
If you a western fan, I hope you caught Open Range by now. Less heralded than Dances With Wolves or the classics like Unforgiven, but bloody good. Still need to catch Bone Tomahawk :)

Yep that Open Range been mentions lots in this thread, not see anyone dislike it. still bloody great film!

Buttonman

'The Brothers Grimsby' - which I chortled through despite being terrible - the scene inside the elephant was funny and boak inducing all at once.

I got the sense it was cut to ribbons as it was only 80 minutes and Vegas and Tomlinson barely had a moment on screen.

I also revisited 'The Dictator' on Netflix and it was better than I'd remembered - "I Alahdeened all over her face". Made me laugh!

Satanist

I also enjoyed The Brothers Grimsby despite its shittiness. Mark Strong is very good.

"SUCK MY BALLS"
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Michael Knight

theblazeuk I have i indeed seen 'Open Range' and i too believe it to be a very underrated modern western. Caught it in cinema upon release and might have to put in dvd to watch it again. Really want to see 'bone tomahawk'. On the theme of modern westerns i thoroughly enjoyed the recent 'the lone ranger'. Its not perfect but thought it better than the 1980's version and it a great popcorn movie entertaining and often funny. 
ps. has anyone seen the movie based upon the blueberry comic strip starring vincent cassel and juliette lewis? been meaning to watch that one for ages.  :)

JamesC

Other good modern westerns are Tombstone, with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer and 3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe.

Colin YNWA

Oh 3.10 to Yuma was so close to being good, but that ending didn't work at all for me. Good modern westerns, True Git (Coen Brothers).

JamesC

There are quite a few gits in that film.

Michael Knight

I really enjoyed the remake of 'True Grit' but not as much as the remake of '3:10 to Yuma'! For me that was better than the original! On the subject of modern westerns 'The Missing' with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchette was really good! Worth a watch!  :)

I, Cosh

I wouldn't exactly call it a Western in the way those others are, but I really liked The Homesman, it's definitely set in the West and also has Tommy Lee Jones.

If you want to stretch the definition to include contemporary stories about tough loners out in the borderlands then The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (featuring, and directed by, Tommy Lee Jones) might be for you.

Going completely off the reservation, the amazing Sicario is also about cross-border wrangling in the baking heat but does not contain Tommy Lee Jones.
We never really die.

Michael Knight

I bought 'The Homesman' on dvd but alas aint got round to watching it yet. Few mates have been singing its praises though.  :)

Professor Bear

X-Men: Apocalypse - busy, clumsy dialogue, too long, looks like a videogame right down to the characters having special attacks, and the villain is lifted straight from Star Trek 5.
More like X-Men: crApocalypse.

Radbacker

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles : Out of the Shadows
Well I really enjoyed that, didn't expect much but was more fun than I thought it'd be.  Had that element missing from the first one FUN, sure the plot was hokum and some of the CGI stuck out like Rhino Balls but of all the 80's cartoon live action reboots that was by far the best so far.  Beebop and Rocksteady have a different origin but are right, all the Turtle characters are spot on, Shredder is nice and menacing and then gets stabbed in so he's not in the finally to complicate things.  Commander Krang  was a right bastard but his voice was just not quite tentacley enough if your a fan of the cartoon you'll know what I mean.
Action gets a bit messy but a few nice set pieces but the finally with the Technodrome is all a bit Tranformery though but Shredders prison van break is a pretty decent scene.
You like the old cartoon you might just enjoy this if not don't bother.

CU Radbacker

von Boom

Me Before You. The wife insisted we see this one and I was quite surprised at how funny it was. It was quite enjoyable despite the subject matter. Mostly, I think, to Emilia Clark. And she didn't event get them out.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Rio 2 (kids... man, I wanted to watch Ghostbusters)
Lock up your spoons!

Steve Green

X-Men:First Class

I'd forgotten I'd recorded it from a couple of months ago.

Enjoyed it more than the others in the series - Magneto on a mission was pretty good, although the mouth cam in the the interrogation scene reminded me of Steve Martin's musical number in Little Shop of Horrors.

Angel joining Shaw's gang seemed pretty 'oh yeah, OK then' and Professor X's 'They're only following orders' is a great phrase to trout out to a Holocaust survivor about to fling missiles at the combined American and Russian fleet.