Main Menu

Morrison's Batman and Robin getting an extended run

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 December, 2009, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Emperor on 27 June, 2010, 04:24:45 AM
The details of the book have just appeared and it'll be 224 pages which is more than 6 issues and could be the equivalent of 9. So.....
Issues of Return of Bruce Wayne are substantially longer than normal Yankee comics.
We never really die.

Emperor

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 June, 2010, 01:34:38 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 27 June, 2010, 04:24:45 AM
The details of the book have just appeared and it'll be 224 pages which is more than 6 issues and could be the equivalent of 9. So.....
Issues of Return of Bruce Wayne are substantially longer than normal Yankee comics.

Ah ha!! Of course they are. Then that all makes sense.

That'd suggest there is at least one more three-issue arc, unless this last one is 6 issues long. They've planned this all out well in advance and it is moving along like clockwork, so I don't imagine they'll be going "whoops we don't have enough for another collection, how silly". Also the series has been a big hit and well-received so they might be wary about binning it. Keep watching the solicitations, as they are unlikely to make a major announcement that might spoil events in B&R.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Issue 13.  My eyes feel like they've been bathed in a solution of wonderful.  And the plot was pretty cool too.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 July, 2010, 04:26:28 PM
Issue 13.

That was some good stuff. I have to say that it impresses the living daylights out of me that Morrison can be delivering full-on mainstream comics as good as this and 'Return', whilst also putting out something like 'Joe the Barbarian', which definitely seems to spin out of the Doom Patrol side of his brain.

That title page in B&R was a real "Whoa, fuck!" moment, although I'm a little out of touch with the current state of Bat-continuity and am thus unclear on how [spoiler]Thomas Wayne gets to be alive again[/spoiler], but even this didn't derail my enjoyment of the issue.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Yeah issue 13 was a delight. Read it before before dropping off last night and was about excited about seeing a comic in a months time as I've been for an age. There's a lot in there thats so tantalising, specifically the Thomas Wayne stuff and that titl page.

As for the art. WOW!

radiator

QuoteDue to all the praise here I've just ordered a copy on a whim. I know next to nothing about Batman continuity, only having ever read the usual stuff (Killing Joke, Year One, The Dark Knight Returns/Strikes Again and the Dredd crossovers) so it might all be impenetrable for me, but I really enjoyed Morrison and Quitely's run on New X Men (and I know dick all about the X Men), plus Frazer Irving's involvement has sold me on it.....

Hmmm. Just read the book on my hols, and though I really enjoyed the first arc, the second half of the book made very, very little sense to me (I didn't get the 'cliffhanger' ending at all). I also really disliked Tan's artwork and found it lacked the clarity and strong storytelling of Quitely's pages - I was often left confused as to what was happening and found the action hard to follow.

Really wish these sorts of stories could be written to be more appealing to a mainstream audience. Hate the way most superhero books have to be so tied in to continuity. Unsure if I'll get the second book....

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 11 July, 2010, 04:55:03 PM
Really wish these sorts of stories could be written to be more appealing to a mainstream audience. Hate the way most superhero books have to be so tied in to continuity. Unsure if I'll get the second book....

Really? I haven't bought a Batman book in over a decade, and I really didn't have much of a problem with this...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Yeah while I agree Phillip Tan's work isn't the clearest in the work I thought the actual story was all there in the comic. While I'm up to date with DC I hadn't read a Batman title since Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle (give or take). One of the great things about this is once you got Batman and Robin have been replaced you're in and ready to go.

TordelBack

i think the last regular Batman issue I bought prior to B&R was The Many Deaths of the Batman, back in 1989 - a John Byrne spectacular (which i hated, despite Jim Aparo art) - bought on a short-lived wave of Dark Knight/Year One enthusiasm.    Last year I had actually taken to reading Batman trades when they showed up in the library to flesh out my appreciation of B&R, and boy are they uneven and frequently ugly fare.  I was particularly keen to find out more about the Red Hood/Jason Todd stuff, but honestly everything worth knowing was already there in those few Morrison issues.  

Now I just assume that any villains or characters I don't recognise are 'new', and if they aren't Morrison will fill me in.  Works fine.

Ignatzmonster

I was going to start a new thread but I thought this was a better place to post

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/13/a-brief-history-of-the-knight-and-squire/

Evidently Cornell wants to flesh out the work Morrison's done on Knight and Squire who've been popping up in B & R. Like Cornell's Tooth reference.

Colin YNWA

An interesting quote from an interview over at Newsarama

QuotePaul Cornell: Yes. It's a very British book in a very different way to Captain Britain. On the Marvel book, I was trying to correct some of the whimsicality, and the fact that, whenever any of the major characters came to Great Britain, it was always a rather whimsical, jolly, rather strange and surreal place.

Following Grant's lead, this is exactly the opposite. It's that whimsicality and strangeness turned up to 20, but with, I think, a genuinely British ethos behind it. It's me following his lead and adding a bit of British stuff myself. And following lots of trends of British humor. There's an awful lot of Carry On and Around the Horne and The Goodies in this.

Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. Anyway full interview

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/paul-cornell-knight-squire-100713.html

Colin YNWA

Well we all knew it had to end at some point but confirmation that Grant Morrison's last arch on 'Batman and Robin' will be 16 - 18 after that Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason take over.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27197

Certainly not a bad creative line-up but you have to say they have a lot to live up to.

Does raise the interesting question. Morrison has said he'll continue to write Batman for a while yet. Its been annouced that Batman (the title) will be in the hands of Tony Daniel as both writer and artist.... so I wonder what title Grant Morrison will be having, or what he has planned?

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 July, 2010, 04:46:22 PMDoes raise the interesting question. Morrison has said he'll continue to write Batman for a while yet. Its been annouced that Batman (the title) will be in the hands of Tony Daniel as both writer and artist.... so I wonder what title Grant Morrison will be having, or what he has planned?

This has now been announced - sounds like fun:

QuoteMarts then turned the mic over to Morrison, who announced what's next for him in the Batman Universe—"Batman: The Return" one-shot and a new series, "Batman, Inc."

"All I'm going to tell you up front is basically it's almost a team book," explained Morrison. "I was looking at the Brave and the Bold cartoon which I love and I wanted to do that kind of thing—Batman with other people. We're come up with a structure that let's us do kind of a team book."

"This is why the book was called 'The Return of Bruce Wayne,'" he added. "This is what happens when Bruce is more in the equation and what he does with the Batman idea and turns it into a franchise."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27400
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

That gets me all kinda excited. Grant Morrison on 'Brave and the Bold' sounds all kinda fun, even if it doesn't sound like the team-up book dream I have (Grant Morrison just doing straight 'Brave and the Bold' would have me all kinda excited LOVE team-up books).

Also leaves the door very much open for Dick Greyson to stay as Batman.

Colin YNWA

Great interview with Mr Morrison here. Starts off with Batman Inc but then also talks a lot about his new movie which I have to say sounds very very interesting.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=video&show_id=382286

Edited as I forgot to say he has 2 years of Batman Inc planned - WAYHEY!!!!!