Main Menu

Hammer House of Horror

Started by Lobo Baggins, 06 March, 2005, 01:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Digital freeview channel ITV3 is putting on the 1980 series Hammer House of Horror, starting at 11pm this evening (Saturday).

Watch it - or miss it, it's entirely up to you...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

ARRISARRIS

...vaguely remember this, also remember it being bloody scary, well i was 12ish, wonder how its stood the test of time?...

Smiley

Couldn't ever remember seeing last night's Witching Hour first time round, it was that rubbish (some "how 70's is that" fun included an orange TR7 and Prunella Gee's skimpies, that was about it.)

Still, there's plenty of other good un's.

Lobo Baggins

Couldn't ever remember seeing last night's Witching Hour first time round, it was that rubbish (some "how 70's is that" fun included an orange TR7 and Prunella Gee's skimpies, that was about it.)

Heh - I particularly liked the 17th century witch's fashionable 1970's ginger perm.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Byron Virgo

Best one's the one with Peter Cushing and Brian Cox - the Silent Scream, if memory serves.

LARF

I rem. one where they set up this guys wife to think she killed one of his mates in an accident, rem him sat in a white rangerover with half his face off?

LARF

Quirkafleeg

If you do a search there's another Hammer House of Horror themed thread... lots of boarder have fond (and downright scary) memories of it...

GordonR

Put away those rose-tinted spectacles - they're mostly pretty awful.  More or less Hammer's last gasp, with not much but the name to trade on, and it shows.

A friend had most of them on video a couple of years ago - age definitely hasn't favoured them.  Cheap, corny and horribly padded out.

Now Armchair Thriller (or was it 'Chiller'?) - they were pretty downright terrifying.

Or, even better, Nigel Kneale's Beasts series.  I'd love to see that again.

Wils

Now Armchair Thriller (or was it 'Chiller'?)

Was that the one that showed the Thames TV logo at night before it started and the titles ended with a creepy silhouette on a wall of someone sat in a chair? If so, it used to scare the living shit out of me when I was little.

I remember some Tales of the Unexpected being quite creepy as well.

GordonR

That's the one.

Remember the faceless nun in the rocking chair?  Yikes!

Wils

I do now! Thanks a bunch, Gordon. ;)

Richmond Clements

Man, that nun scared the shit out of me as a child.
Still gives me the creeps even now.

Wils

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/nero0/pin/clips.html" target="_blank">Mpegs of the title sequences and the faceless nun

[Shudder]

Quirkafleeg

heh... well one of the reasons I've not got it on dvd is I suspect I'll ruin my childhood memories of it.

There was an obscure similar series called West Country Tales - there was one about a 'man' hiding in this blokes coalshed. Now that really shit me up and I suspect it would today.