Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 September, 2021, 09:38:40 PM
What's a Stan?

Rewatched THE MATRIX last night. It's been a while since I did and, has oft been stated,  the knowledge that Lily and Lana have transitioned adds new layers to it.

Anyway, it's great. If i was to nitpick? The dialogue, though meme city, is either servicable, cliched or too on the nose.

And we're Keanu and Hugo really that young

The Matrix is still entirely unfuckwittable.  A great film.  I really like the second one too.  And then completely detest the third one.  And now they are making a new one.

So that's basically exactly how I feel about Ghostbusters as a series.

Anyway, the last four films I watched were Alien, Aliens, Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection.  I took a major break from watching them all.  I'm not sure how long but maybe five years or more.  I still love it as a series but was surprised at how bad the ending of Alien3 is and how much I enjoyed Resurrection.

I've always loved all four films but Alien3 has maybe aged the worst out of them.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: repoman on 12 September, 2021, 09:37:47 PM

I've always loved all four films but Alien3 has maybe aged the worst out of them.

I refuse to accept that there are four Alien films. Or six. Or however many horrible things they've made now.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

milstar

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia

Sweeping aside casual misogyni typical for Peckinpah's movies, I can't say I enjoyed in this neo western. It's painfully slow (the first half is pure shite), and the main character is so unremarkable as protagonist. And the story leaves much to be desired.
Better to stick with The Getaway, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Cross of Iron (the coolest ww2 film ever made).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

The Hidden

80's sci-fi thriller.  It's about tracking down an alien psycho that is on a crime spree on Earth.  It's a pretty decent film.  Efficient story telling and well paced hitting all the narrative beats when it needs and drip feeding the exposition.  It's pretty engaging, kinda humorous in places.  I enjoyed it.

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 13 September, 2021, 11:10:33 AM
The Hidden
It's pretty engaging, kinda humorous in places.

Haven't seen it in decades, but still remember yer man biting into an alka seltzer after his first hangover experience.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 September, 2021, 10:39:31 PM
Quote from: repoman on 12 September, 2021, 09:37:47 PM

I refuse to accept that there are four Alien films. Or six. Or however many horrible things they've made now.

Covenant is good actually.

I'm not inviting anyone to dissuade me on this, its the truth.

Funt Solo

The Hidden

80's sci-fi thriller.  It's about tracking down an alien psycho that is on a crime spree on Earth.  It's a pretty decent film.  Efficient story telling and well paced hitting all the narrative beats when it needs and drip feeding the exposition.  It's pretty engaging, kinda humorous in places.  I enjoyed it.

A quiet sci-fi classic from the 80s - tends to fly under the radar but definitely belongs in the worthy bucket. I remember feeling like I'd found it, instead of it hyping itself into my life. (Matrix - I'm looking at you!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 September, 2021, 07:04:51 PM
A quiet sci-fi classic from the 80s - tends to fly under the radar but definitely belongs in the worthy bucket. I remember feeling like I'd found it, instead of it hyping itself into my life. (Matrix - I'm looking at you!)

A nice way to describe it.  I find myself at loss to say much about the film other than it's good.  It has an interesting ending as well.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 September, 2021, 06:56:53 PM
Covenant is good actually.

This is so wrong I am now wondering if Endgame is actually a work of genius and possibly the best film ever made.

repoman

"Breathe on the nostrils of a horse"

Alien Covenant is rubbish.

milstar

Quote from: repoman on 13 September, 2021, 10:22:22 PM

True waste of time. Then again, I enjoyed in the Kingdom of Crystal Skull (Indiana Jones 4).

The Crow

Nah... I don't see the high praise given to this film as absolutely deserved. In fact, I believe it is so because of Brandon Lee's tragic fate and he's miscast here. Isn't intimidating character at all. And the plot is flat, rehashing the same revenge threads, except this time in underground world of industrial rock music (which I was never into). And the dialogues are too outlandish for my taste.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

rogue69

SLAXX
Canadian horror comedy movie with killer Jeans. A new type of jeans are just about to be launched in a ultra trendy fashion store that have the ability to automatically mold to anyone's body shape. As the staff work over night to set the store for the launch of the jeans one pair comes alive after being put on crushing them inhalf and then go on a killing spree in the store.

It's basic B movie horror film that trys to loosely say something about how the fashion industry uses sweatshops and GMOs whilst promoting a humanitarian and effical image

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: pictsy on 13 September, 2021, 08:48:42 PM
This is so wrong I am now wondering if Endgame is actually a work of genius and possibly the best film ever made.

Quote from: repoman on 13 September, 2021, 10:22:22 PM
"Breathe on the nostrils of a horse"

[BLOCKED]

Tjm86

The Hidden

80's sci-fi thriller.  It's about tracking down an alien psycho that is on a crime spree on Earth.  It's a pretty decent film. 

To a certain extent the 80's feels like it was a bit of a golden age for that type of film.  There seem to be a slew of films that didn't capture the popular imagination but actually fare fairly well.  For guilty pleasure you'd have to count the first Philadelphia Experiment film.  Then there's The Quiet Earth.  Slipstream deserves an honourable mention.  The Last Starfighter.  Moon 44.

Mind you, when you consider some of the stuff that was being made for telly at the time ...

Rately

Malignant.

Christ, I don't know where to start, I can't tell you even if I enjoyed it, or hated it. It is such a mishmash in terms of storytelling, direction.

There are genuinely fantastic bits, but equally bits that make you wonder if there weren't two or three writers and directors having a day about on set.

pictsy

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 September, 2021, 10:13:24 AM
To a certain extent the 80's feels like it was a bit of a golden age for that type of film.  There seem to be a slew of films that didn't capture the popular imagination but actually fare fairly well.  For guilty pleasure you'd have to count the first Philadelphia Experiment film.  Then there's The Quiet Earth.  Slipstream deserves an honourable mention.  The Last Starfighter.  Moon 44.

I haven't seen some of these. I'll put them on the list.