Main Menu

Prog drought!

Started by Leigh S, 11 October, 2020, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

The post here has been absolutely shocking since Christmas - parcels are running ok, presumably because they take up space at the depot and need to be moved out quick, but letters and the like arrive generally a week or two after you'd expect them.
It's a symptom of the terrible decline of Royal Mail under the Tories and there's very little I can do about it, but it has made me re-evaluate a couple of things I'm subscribed to and cancel them, which is good I guess? I'll stick with the Prog subscription till it is due to expire and then see how I feel: I loved the little ritual of getting it in the post most Saturdays, but if it's going to arrive two days after it hits the shelves I can buy it in my local newsagent and means I can skip the odd week where there's nothing on I want to read.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Pyroxian

I now get mine on a Monday or Tuesday - the days of Saturday progs seems to have gone :(

Leigh S

No prog again

I'm not sure any other of my post is being affected - stuff seems to be landing as quickly as normal.

In the old days you could ring up but thats not an option any more - any way of getting a formal statment as to any knoww issues at Thargs end, Molch-er?

Dandontdare

last week I got 3 progs and a meg on same day, plus various letters postmarked up to 10 days ago. Things got a bit better with the mail for a while after the MP got involved, but we're now back to a weekly bundle rather than daily post.

Barrington Boots

Pretty sure this isn't a Tharg issue as lots of other boarders are getting theirs on time.

The Prog does seem to be especially impacted by delays (my megazine from the 2000ad shop came immediately) but I'm convinced it's just local post being not fit for purpose. I know for a bloke in his 40s, getting a weekly comic on time is a very very petty thing to be annoyed over but so much of my life is relentless stress atm and this does hack me off. Nothing anyone can do though!

IndigoPrime

It has to be localised regional problems, with staff issues or other factors impacting on deliveries. Letterbox post here is still slightly wobbly, but far more reliable than it was during the early days of COVID. But there are times when mail has clearly been 'stacked' (the odd week where we suspiciously get ten items on a single day, after days of nothing). But the Prog is regular, usually showing up on a Monday. So this can't be a Tharg thing.

Leigh S

No prog still

I;d think it was local, but my bills are all turning up like clockwork!

Possibly its not local but somewhere in the chain that all my other post doesnt encounter? 

As I say, a more paranoid person would link the fact this all started after I slagged Tharg's recent output (the next prog I received as actually absolutely ground into pieces - wasnt even in a "sorry we have destroyed this post" bag! ) 

The Monarch

hmm no prog for me. its been a while since i had no prog

Barrington Boots

I suspect it's a localised issue but further up the chain than the local post office.
I can't see it changing now tbh. It's kept me pretty much off the review thread, both reading and writing, which might be a blessing for people who don't like reading my ill-informed thoughts.

Tomwe

Just realised I'm a few weeks behind on my deliveries. This thread may exist in the reviews section , but is this something that's happening to other subscribers?

IndigoPrime

Colin YNWA

Yeah  not had anything since 2309. Made all the more frustrating as the boys Phoenix's are limping through okay is, a few days delay aside. Royal Mail really has become a joke since privatised and so I'm assuming the delay lies at their door. I'm going to wait a bit longer before ringing Rebellion, but I'm getting twitchy!

The Monarch

oh this is def royal mails fault its why i haven't bothered rebellions help desk yet its not their fault the royal mail is shit

Barrington Boots

It's 100% on Royal Mail. I had a chat with my postman yesterday about a missing parcel and mentioned the Prog - he told me that the current bosses of Royal Mail are not interested in letter delivery as there's no money in it, and they're having to prioritise parcels. Sounds like it's Royal Mails ultimate aim to move to a Hermes / Evri style model with the postmen being essentially self employed independent contractors getting paid 50p per parcel delivery of whatever they get.
Looks grim for our postal service. As to the missing progs, I'm sure they'll rock up eventually.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 December, 2022, 06:08:10 AMMade all the more frustrating as the boys Phoenix's are limping through okay is, a few days delay aside.
Here, even those are random now. Mini-IP got two on the same day. I've asked her to start keeping an eye on whether those and her Beanos are showing up, but, well, she's 8.

It's such a mess. Core infrastructure should never be sold off, and post is core infra. All the warnings at the time have come to pass. Royal Mail, not it's a for-profit entity with shareholders, wants to ditch the things that don't make it cash. Which leaves letter post where? (And given that all magazines sit in that space... bleh.)