Main Menu

10 Greatest Judge Dredd Comics Of All Time?

Started by rogue69, 14 November, 2022, 08:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I liked Big Dave, and it got my nonscrot-but-fellow-Viz-reading mate into the prog.  The young Morrison was brilliant but kind of full of shit, though, and seemed to think it was very cool to disrespect the (slightly) older comics creators who helped to establish Grant's career.  Seems like they haven't quite grown out of it yet, but fortunately they got their 'I'm Morrissey, me, only with comics' thing out of their system fairly early on in their career.

I'm also not a huge fan of their retconning of their own life story - 'The older writers were 60s throwbacks, and we were punks.'  You forget we were there too, Grant, and clearly remember your fey poet persona and 60s velvet coat and ruff.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Quote from: rogue69 on 14 November, 2022, 08:14:28 PM
CBR.com have a article on "10 Greatest Judge Dredd Comics Of All Time" I think there may be some disagreement with their choices

https://www.cbr.com/judge-dredd-best-comics/

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

When I saw the title, I thought I'd do a bit of a send up and list ten of the IDW stories/issues.  BUT THEY ACTUALLY INCLUDED IT IN THE TOP SLOT.

The only thing they got right was including The Apocalypse War.  Other than that it looks like trying to flog off some of the more recent collections (not that there's anything wrong with Cold Wars, Guatemala, Small House) and plain ignorance.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 November, 2022, 11:16:00 AM
Also, perhaps the writer really does think all this, which means they've not read much Dredd or this is really what they enjoy.

It does seem very much weighted towards "This is what I saw here in the US" - the stories with Batman and Predator, the DC run and the IDW material.  Apoc War had an IDW release (in colour) and then perhaps with a whetted appetite he's found some of the more recent trades to read.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

Inferno is at least partly redeemed by some of Carlos's best art. Just a shame it was wasted on such a ridiculous script. I was lucky in that in 1993 I was still too young to recognise its many shortcomings.

norton canes

Whatever the subjective shortcomings of that article, they need to sort out the creator credit

QuoteEveryone's favorite Mega City One street cop, Judge Dredd (created by John Wagner) has enjoyed almost 50 years in publication

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"