Main Menu

Pageturners (CW: contains Pat Mills)

Started by nxylas, 21 November, 2022, 08:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

I know any mention of Uncle Pat's name here tends to provoke a flame war, but I am looking forward to his next book, Pageturners: Comics and the Craft of Writing, a revised and expanded version of his blog posts on the subject. However uncomfortable you may be at his flirtations with antisemites and Putin tankies, there's no denying that he has a wealth of knowledge regarding comic writing and the comics industry. I'm sure there will be plenty of valuable insights here.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: nxylas on 21 November, 2022, 08:44:16 PM
I know any mention of Uncle Pat's name here tends to provoke a flame war...

Does it, though?

As you say, it would be interesting to hear about the craft from someone so well versed in it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dash Decent

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 November, 2022, 10:46:57 PM
As you say, it would be interesting to hear about the craft from someone so well versed in it.

You can take that statement two ways.

Flame on!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

GordonR

Any chance the new book will give us the lowdown on his short-lived foray into the fascinating world of NFT chump-scamming?

The Monarch

short lived? so he stopped? (i kinda stopped following his twitter it got depressing)

GordonR

Quote from: The Monarch on 24 November, 2022, 10:18:28 PM
short lived? so he stopped? (i kinda stopped following his twitter it got depressing)

They've apparently been quietly removed from sale. I've been told by someone who kept watch that  he didn't sell a single one.

So that was well worth trashing your reputation for, and needlessly picking a huge fight with your own fanbase over.

13school

I occasionally wonder if the fact so many UK comics creators are still generating paid work right up until their final days means they love comics so much they're happy to keep on going right till the end, or that for whatever reason (I assume like all creative industries, most people don't do all that well out of it) they just can't afford to fully retire.

davidbishop

JayzusB.Christ

I still don't understand the whole NFT thing and genuinely don't really get why it pissed people off when Pat started peddling them - not saying the anger wasn't justified or anything, just that I didn't really know what was going on.

A part of me likes to think that Pat didn't really understand what he was doing either and was the recipient of some bad advice, but of course I'll never know if that's true.  Also, I hadn't heard anything about antisemitism / Putin flirtations - feckin ell.

He was a brilliant comics creator in his heyday anyway and I wouldn't mind reading what he has to say about his craft. Much as his angry rants get on my tits, I realise that he's a huge part of the reason 2000ad became such an institution and the reason we're all on this board.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 December, 2022, 08:31:13 PM
Also, I hadn't heard anything about antisemitism / Putin flirtations - feckin ell.
I don't want to overplay those, he hasn't gone full Kanye, it's just that some of his tweets etc seem to be heading in that direction.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!