Main Menu

Prog 1811 Moonshot!

Started by oshii, 24 November, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Frank's gonna pull through, as is Dredd. Don't know about Point though, bit of a tricky position was this week's cliffhanger.

a chosen rider

It seems like Point is the one who could be killed off with least impact on the ongoing Dreddverse, which is an argument both for and against it being him that gets the chop.  If anyone does; no reason to assume that they can't all survive this, though I'm definitely going to be disappointed if Dredd's back on the streets like nothing happened without at least a few progs spent in recovery.  I hope the Christmas prog Dredd is going to be set after Cold Deck rather than being an unrelated one-off.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Goaty

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 November, 2012, 12:29:26 PM
Frank's gonna pull through, as is Dredd. Don't know about Point though, bit of a tricky position was this week's cliffhanger.

Maybe Point is the Cold Deck?

Spikes

Quote from: we are all roger godpleton on 29 November, 2012, 10:58:09 AM
I'm questioning the existence of Smiley and the reality of this story because of that word saudade, which I think explains the number of references to the Dredd strip's history in all three stories. At first I imagined it was the writers taking the pish out of themselves and their shameless milking of reader nostalgia for characters like the Kleggs and Murd, and ephemera like the nightmare gun, but now I think it might explain why such a major Dredd story is constructed from the fragments of previous adventures. Smiley's sitting room feels a lot like The White/Black Lodges.

Stuff to ponder over there.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 November, 2012, 11:13:35 AM
Hershey's too good a character to let go.

Im not getting any feeling that this will be Hershey's swansong at all. Guess we'll find out, or some of us will!, on Saturday.

Proudhuff

Saudade: now I know how I feel.
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

Oooh now I know where I hear that name Smiley from... Was it about spy?

James Stacey

Well that fits and the flying ducks are the right period as is the rest of the decor behind judge smiley. It also fits with the Russian agent angle. Could Smiley be a pseudonym for a retired judge who had dealings with Kazan?

Frank

Quote from: James Stacey on 29 November, 2012, 05:40:11 PM
Well that fits and the flying ducks are the right period as is the rest of the decor behind judge smiley. It also fits with the Russian agent angle. Could Smiley be a pseudonym for a retired judge who had dealings with Kazan?

The snowy backdrop to Frank's origin story in 1809 could suggest some kind of mission on Sov territory. I don't think 'spy' or 'retired judge' adequately describe what Smiley is though.

Tiplodocus

Loving most of the whole Cold Deck/Lowlife/Simping D crossover even though I do struggle with teh concept of a flying city built on the moon in secret.  It just seems too much but then I come across another brilliant bit and let it slide.

Enjoyed Brass Sun.

Did not enjoy any of ABC Warriors. At all.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

In the midst of week after week of complete cover-to-cover greatness, the page of Frank's run across the moon was the undoubted highlight for me.  Possibly the funniest single page to ever appear in the Prog. 

Aside from the the Cold Deck trio, which have moved beyond rational comment for me (not least because it's apparent that the real villain of the piece is only getting started, and all this is merely an extended introduction to a very long game indeed) this was a mixed week for me. 

Brass Sun suffered from a 'book' ending that wasn't, with a cliffhanger relating to a peripheral conflict that we don't much care about yet: an artificial break, rather than a dramatic one.  Everything else in the episode was its usual engaging, intriguing and very beautiful self, but do think we could have used a bit of 'oomph' at the close to tide us over and maybe sway the waverers.  Can't wait myself, Culbard and D'Israeli sound like a well-matched tag team to keep this running.

ABC Warriors was similarly anti-climactic.  I've enjoyed this run more than anything since The Black Hole, and it was a bit jarring to return to business as usual.  The 'very, very small world' syndrome strikes with the inevitable resurrection of Happy and equally inevitable reveal of Tubal Caine.  This wouldn't be as bad if the exact same trick hadn't been already pulled with Steelhorn. 

I don't mind the idea of Quartz still trundling along, a search for immortality is the whole point of the character, but I do wish Pat would commit to the idea that this strip is set before Nemesis, thanks to the wonders of escaping the Time Wastes.  I really can't buy the idea of the Warriors returning to Mars at Happy's request because their good works had been undone, if this all takes place after the rise and fall of Termight, which would surely have been infinitely more traumatic for Earth's neighbour. 

MercZ

I'm really hooked for what'll wrap up this whole arc, it's been really entertaining to me so far with the way they've introduced elements. I was surprised to see [spoiler]that the "Godcity" that the Simps were invoking was related to the scheme Bachmann and Overdrive were doing[/spoiler].

Overall, I liked the issue. I feel like Brass Sun still has a lot it wants to show in the future. I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm new to 2000 AD so I was lost with the stuff being referred to in ABC Warriors. Still I guess it was alright to read when it was running.

Mikey

Suffice to say this prog continued the thrills magnificently. Frank's moon lope was a joy and Simp's providing a nicely dark feeling counterpoint in the whole thing. Dredd's 'Bullet to king four' almost had me punching the air too!

Brass Sum and ABCs faded out a bit,it's true, but I'm looking forward to more Brass Sun and that was one of the strongest ABC run in a while.

Hope my prog arrives early tomorrow!

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 November, 2012, 11:01:49 PM
it's apparent that the real villain of the piece is only getting started

"Shhh. Our little secret"

NapalmKev

Another stellar Prog, well done to all concerned!

I must admit, when I first heard of the 'God City' the only two past stories I thought might link to it were 'Crusade' (I enjoyed it, apparently quite a few didn't), and the Judge Planet tale which I really thought was absolute nonsense.

And don't kill Dirty Frank! He's too good a character to lose!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Bolt-01

Go, street team ASDA!

Looks like a Zarjaz cover all spread out like that.