Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leethomson

Once I decided to read it as a piece of Euro-trash in the style of straight to VHS scifi flicks like Ice Pirates it was much more enjoyable. Whether or not that was intention, I can't say. It certainly feels like it's trying to be more than it is.

Jade Falcon

I've noticed here people trying to estimate if pairing two stories would be probable due to page count.  For example when speculating about the extension, a few, including myself brought up Leviathan and there was talk of what it could be paired with.  Or Jaegir with The 86ers etc.

Well, today I went down to my newsagents and picked up my three books that were lying there.  I know the page count isn't exactly the same in every book, but this was Nikolai Dante, Slaine:Book of Scars and Durham Red.  Dante looks the thickest, followed closely by Durham Red, but the Slaine book is substantially thinner.  Is there a min/max page count on these books?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

I've been inferring likely min/max from past data. The Book Of Scars (assuming that's the Slaine you've just picked up) has been by far the thinnest volume yet and I doubt we'll see many others that slim. I've attached my graph of the releases we've had so far. This is based on the pages of strip in each volume (data mostly taken from Barney, although I actually counted the recent Slaine and ABC Warriors volumes as they had extra pages from the prog editions). It does not account for covers, intro pages, or text pieces.

IndigoPrime

One look at the Marvel books should show how fortunate we are. Many of them compile just five US comics. I can hack the odd skinny volume—although could have done without Scars, since I have Rebellion's superior collection with all the Slaine art.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sintec on 08 June, 2020, 10:41:11 PM
This is based on the pages of strip in each volume (data mostly taken from Barney, although I actually counted the recent Slaine and ABC Warriors volumes as they had extra pages from the prog editions).
Most of Rebellion's trades of Clint Langley/Pat Mills stuff have additional pages expanding on some images from the run in the Progs.
We never really die.

sintec

Yeah I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that those Mills/Langley volumes had extra pages. Those books were all outliers in the stats which prompted me to do some actual page counting rather than relying on Barney. With the exception of Book Of Scars that brought those inline with the bottom end of the range.

Jade Falcon

I finally got round to reading Dante and Slaine.  The Dante book was excellent, though I'm not 100% keen on the contrast of some of the art styles.  It's interesting to see how the character has evolved.  At the beginning some of the stories were very self contained, light hearted and not so much forgettable as just nothng special.  Later you can see it all coming together.

Slaine book of Scars.  I had liked some of the later Slaine books, but book of Scars seemed very bitsy piecey to me, I wasn't too impressed, not to mention with how thin it was.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Jade Falcon

I read Durham Red last night, and well....Im of two minds about it.

It's an enjoyable enough read but I definitely see a WH40k vibe in there somewhere and I'm not a 40k fan.  I really would rather have got some Durham Red solo stories when she was still an S/D agent, but I suppose that wasn't really feasible given how that universe was going.

abelardsnazz

Thinking about the page count of the Slaine volumes, is there any reason why the Diceman strips couldn't have been included? There aren't any rights issues are there? Thought it would have been fun to see those again.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 20 June, 2020, 01:22:43 PM
Thinking about the page count of the Slaine volumes, is there any reason why the Diceman strips couldn't have been included? There aren't any rights issues are there? Thought it would have been fun to see those again.

Especially as the current printing of two of them (in the trade paperback of Demon Killer if memory serves) has a repeated page misprint that renders the game unplayable.

SBT

Tomwe

Did I imagine a report about Diceman being collected? Was that an April Fools?

The Monarch

QuoteThinking about the page count of the Slaine volumes, is there any reason why the Diceman strips couldn't have been included? There aren't any rights issues are there? Thought it would have been fun to see those again.

i can only guess same reason none of the starlord stuff made it in....its not 2000ad

Jade Falcon

Is the Future shocks book out yet.

There was a story from one of the early annuals that was a future shock about someone who bought a 'course' that increased their intelligence but not their comon sense and they ended up dead in a traffic accident.  I can't remember the name of it.  I wonder if that one is included.

sintec

It's been with subscribers for a couple of weeks or more - I was starting to wonder when the next ones would be landing tbh.  There's a complete list of the books contents here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD:_The_Ultimate_Collection (it's basically all the Morrison, Gaiman and John Smith FSs, along with a chunk of Milligan ones and a smattering from other writers/artists)

Only 2 stories from the annuals and I don't think either of them were that one I'm afraid.

moogie101

New delivery today, 73 Slaine Brutania Chronicles Vol. 1 (only out yesterday) & 74 Nikolai Dante Vol. 8 (release date 8/7)

Surprisingly with only three deliveries left to hit the originally planned 80 books there was no note about the extension.