Started by Oddboy, 08 May, 2002, 03:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

BLUMMIN' AMAZING EH?
Good Dredd,
Strong Sinister Dexter,
13irteen shaping up quite nicely,
I enjoyed Bec & Kawl even if you ungrateful drokkers didn't,
My Name Is Death.......   woooooah!  blew me away!

Great stuff!
Best prog since 534!
Better set your phaser to stun.

moly

gotta say 2000ad getting well on form
sin city classic in the making ?
finally sinister dexter finally getting a story to do them justice
and death whoah looking evil again

like the art work on death and 13

ps anyone know how long these stories run for

chrisr

Amother great issue
Great Dredd, Kev Walker is on fire.
Didn't think much of Sin Dex
Still not sure about 13
LOVED Bec & Kawl
Death made my skin crawl

Bit of a Golden period at the momment.

DavidXBrunt

Sin City is scheduled to finish in Prog 1299, 1300 at the latest.

My name is Death is a six parter, I think.

As for the rest I don't know.

This weeks Prog was very good indeed. Bec and Kawl was slightly clunky but it was a first episode and they are hard to get right, but it was still fun.

13 is great, I've really enjoyed the little we've had.

Sin City looks to be great when we've got the set-up out of the way.

Sinister Dexter looks to be quite a long story. I've enjoyed the one parters but have been wanting a longer tale featuring them since I started buying the mag again.

And M.N.I.Death - If it keeps this up it'll be a classic. Great to see it in B & W. It'd still be good in colour but as it is it's awesome.

Stu

Liked it a lot and I'm looking forward to reading it all again on the tube home.

I always prefer Sin/Dex when it's a multi part story. If only Simon Davis was the artist.

I've enjoyed 13 so far. It's nice to see a new story that doesn't look like filler material. What's the deal with the gratuitous chainsaw though? I bet that guy's not a real Doctor, he looks more like a tree surgeon.

Death looks great. I think colour might have spoiled it, as I find Frazer Irving's colouring a little hit and miss. One page will be amazing, then the next will be tinted pink all over. In black and white they all look good.

paulvonscott

Loved Dredd and Death again.

That's been my review ;)

Goodnight All.

Leigh S

Dredd and Death continue to impress - though with only six parts to MNID, I hope it ends with every indication of a sequel -(i.e. Death still on the loose, rather than rounded back up!).

Sin City has no cliffhangers!  Last weeks just ended, and so has this weeks - is this because Titan are gonna put this together?  I hope so, but given their track record so far, it seems unlikely.

13 is still nice stuff, though it's a little puzzling in places - how did those bouncers die?  The Doctor knew about it, but was he responsible?  Intriguing enough for now, though.

The new stuff - Sin Dex seems like a half decent multiparter could be on the cards, if it wasn't for the totally inappropriate art - two parts cartoon, one part plain scruffy and don't even mention the colouring - It just doesn't hold up to the rest of the prog, looking more like fanzine stuff than professional quality, IMO.  Still, given that a fair few people seemed to like that guy who did Telguuth a few progs back, I expect someone will leap to the defence of the art here.

Steve Roberts is another artist whose work I disliked on Sin/Dex - it's much better on Bec & Kawl however, partly because Elson's colours are much better than McKies, and partly because a cartoony style suits this story.  Whether this story suits 2000AD is another matter though.  As someone else said, it's very clunky - a rag bag of other peoples ideas (parody or rip off? - it's hard to tell) tied loosely together.  It needs to focus on what it actually wants to be - maybe things will tighten up as the story progresses. That said, 2000 needs a comedy script, IMO.  Not sure this will be it, but time may prove me wrong.

DavidXBrunt

I really want Bec and Kawl to get better. Part One wasn't great but did hold up. Hopefully we'll get a couple of short stories in this run before the 1300 offensive, so we can get to know the format and the characters. But it's a nice idea and could grow into something good.

paulvonscott

I decided to watch my SPACED dvd's instead.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Bec Kawl is very good in my opinion although I have to admit it's just d.r & quinch/spaced with a supernatural elements to it. Still it did what it was supposed to do, add a laugh to 2000AD. The current storylines are mostly morbid and disturbing storylines or hyper violent antics.

The arts crisp and clean and the script has a few new spins and ideas. This could well be a classic in the making (most of my none 2000ad liking mates thought it was a good laugh to read.).

Summary: More.

Finnigan

Leigh S

The blurb in the nerve centre suggests B&K could be a fairly good pitch - The central idea of slackers using the supernatural to keep on slacking throws up some neat stories if the writer thinks smart(if not it might just become Spaced meets Rentaghost).  However, this opening part didn't really establish anything - it just was a series of almost unconnected parodies, references and cliches.

The "summon a demon to get good grades" should have arisen from the plot, rather than just being plonked in as an "I think I need good grades - I know what I'll do..." moment from one of the characters. The consequences should then be a bit more original than big, funny-themed, ghostbusteresque monster appears and smashes things.  Of course, next week will probably prove me wrong by doing something particularly clever, so I really ought to hold fire 'til then!  

Mudcrab

Hmm, I was disappointed at the monster. Found it a bit disgusting and immediately reminded me of the Balls Brothers. It's the same as farting jokes, they're just not bloody funny, at least not to me. Fart jokes ceased to be funny after Vic and Bob's french blokes, which is as funny as farting gets. And zits are probably less funny than that. Started well, then just fell into the gutter. A big shame after the cover with 'Bloody Students' on it. I liked that I did!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Tiplodocus

Enjoyed everything in the prog -all stories well written and shaping up nicely and the art was tatsy all round.  

SIN CITY: I like the multiple plotlines that are brewing in this and Kev Walker's art is spot on - alternately comic and gritty when needed.

SIN DEX: On the strength of this opening, I hope this is a nice long multi-parter.  I know it's a bit of a cliche with the "I thought you were dead" routine but it was still enjoyable.

BECK AND KAWL: the only disappointment but it has potential providing it gets out of the trap of thinking that references to other films/comics are funny in themselves - these reminded me more of the bad Leslie Nielsen films (Spy Hard) rather than Spaced. But I'm sure it will get better.

MNID: I like the idea of Anderson being stranded on Luna 1 by the Justice Department timetables.  Death has obviously killed children before but showing it....the horror... the horror. Damn - I started the film reference game myself...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!