Main Menu

Simon Fraser Interviewed on NYC Graphic Novelist Project

Started by Simon Fraser, 21 April, 2009, 05:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Fraser

//http://graphicnyc.blogspot.com/2009/04/around-world-with-simon-fraser.html Chris Irving Interviews ...um...me, with Photos by Seth Kushner. For their forthcoming NYC Graphic Novelists book. This is one in a series of Creator Interviews, all of which are worth your time.

SuperSurfer

Thanks for the link Simon.

I first visited New York last year and I have to say it's one of the very few places in the world I've been to where I could easily say "I'd like to live here" (at least for a short while). Maybe because I'm used to a big city but also because there's a kind of familiarity with it. I guess we barely go a few days without seeing scenes from New York in films or on TV.

And for me, yes, it is the Valhalla of comics. I spent my entire childhood drawing Spider-man swinging through scenes of New York or the Fantastic Four flying over skyscrapers and the Baxter Building.

The pic below was the view out of our hotel window. I could draw buildings like these from memory at the age of 11 having copied them so many times from the likes of John Romita, John Buscema etc. So it was quite something to be there. Sounds naff but it really took me back to my childhood.

Anyway, hope all goes well for you and the family over there.

Loving the work of course.