General Chat > Games

Gamebooks

(1/28) > >>

Funt Solo:

--- Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 October, 2021, 10:50:12 PM ---I remember on my trip to Thailand, so many years ago now, I started noticing some place names rang a bell.  Chiang Mai. Fang.  It was Sukumvit that brought it back - Ian Livingstone had used them for Deathtrap Dungeon (the 80s role-playing book, like you didn't know).

It's just come back to me now after listening to the brilliant Hypnogoria podcast about said book.  And then I found this. http://officialfightingfantasy.blogspot.com/2017/05/who-wants-to-go-for-walk.html  He didn't even bother to change the names.  Still a great book though.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: sheridan on 18 October, 2021, 10:16:50 AM ---Deathtrap Dungeon - my first Fighting Fantasy book!  My fave is the Shamutanti Hills, closely followed by City of Thieves and a few of the other early books.

--- End quote ---

My first Fighting Fantasy book was The Warlock of Firetop Mountain - which I got from the school library. That being the first one, I started collecting, but never had Book 1 in my collection. Deathtrap Dungeon is a favorite, and when I ditched half my nerd clobber when emigrating, that was one of the few I had to keep.

There's a guy does brief video reviews of the books, and he's wonderfully dry-witted. At the beginning of Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks Review Part 3 - Books 21 to 30, he says "I'm sorta stuck wiv this lot now, I've gotta do the lot!"

Colin YNWA:
I bought the boy a load of these recently after he liked Warlock when I played it on the Switch (really good adaptation by the way). He played a couple but then burnt out on them. I'm hoping he returns to them then in a year or two. I was well tempted to give them a go again myself.

wedgeski:
I spent most of my pocket money on these. I was addicted as a kid. Trial of Champions was the last one I bought, at which point FF had successfully gateway'd me into D&D, and my money starting going into TSR's pocket instead. It's all still in the metaphorical loft somewhere.

Barrington Boots:
I used to spend all my pocket money on these too. At some point over the years I lost all of them bar Appointment with F.E.A.R - I think my brother inherited and disposed of them when I went to uni.
During the pandemic I picked up a bunch of old ones off ebay and started replaying them. Some of them are SO hard but they're really good. I'm basically addicted to them now. I met Ian Livingstone at an event this year and was totally fanboyish.

Deathtrap Dungeon is my favourite but I really love Trial of Champions and Forest of Doom, which was my first one ever. On the non-FF front I love the Way of the Tiger series.

Anyone up for a forum playthrough of one maybe? See how far we all get individually?

wedgeski:

--- Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 October, 2021, 09:33:03 AM ---Anyone up for a forum playthrough of one maybe? See how far we all get individually?

--- End quote ---
Great idea!! I'll see if I can dig mine out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version