Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 June, 2017, 02:59:15 PM
Dont try to navigate the timeline of the Cybermen into a coherent whole, they countradict themselves at every turn.

Well, no, that's the thing - they're entirely different cybermen.

Andy Lambert

Well, I'm speculating of course, I've just assumed that at some point during their evolution, the alien Cybermen also adopted the style of the Cybus variety, but I concede, I'm probably just trying to make sense of their inclusion. The time anomaly of the spaceship seemed like a sound consideration to me...

Mardroid

According to Neil Gaiaman concerning the Cybermen in his episode, the most modern iteration are supposed to be a hybrid of both Mondasian origin and Cybus industries Cybermen. The idea being they joined up at some point and exchanged technology.

While they do look similar to the Cybus Cybermen, there is a difference in the breastplate armour, if you compare.

Of course this still suggests the cybus guys should appear at some point to explain the change in appearance. Alternatively I guess they could have exchanged design schematics via a space phone call...

Hawkmumbler

Cybus Industries did of course exist in 'our' universe, as International Electromatics, so theres a crossover.

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 June, 2017, 04:13:24 PM
Cybus Industries did of course exist in 'our' universe, as International Electromatics, so theres a crossover.

Been a while since I saw the relevant episodes - there was a whole bunch of dimension-hopping around the same time that tied in to the finale, wasn't there?

Taryn Tailz

'Course I'm not crying. Why would I be crying? Though...I do suppose...where there's tears, there's hope.

Leigh S

Hmmm.

Lots of nice ideas, mired in a huge amount of over-complexity and fannishness, almost topped off with a massive cop out, with an actual top off that summed all of that up in one single notion, but did leave me grinning somewhat....

Plus, [spoiler]Why didnt the pilot turn up sometime before everyone was as dead as could be?  Its alsmost as if she couldnt do that ANd be a dues Ex MAchina (copyright RTD criticisms 2005-2009)[/spoiler]

JamesC

I really enjoyed that. It had its faults but overall it was loads of fun. Really looking forward to the Xmas special now!

Greg M.

I was amused by the (rather arcane) reference to Grant Morrison's 'The World Shapers' Dr. Who comic buried in there.

M.I.K.

It's not technically a deus ex machina if it's set up [spoiler]in the first episode of the series[/spoiler].

Leigh S

Quote from: M.I.K. on 01 July, 2017, 08:06:04 PM
It's not technically a deus ex machina if it's set up [spoiler]in the first episode of the series[/spoiler].

Its more the timing than anything....

Steve Green

Quite.

[spoiler]I can follow you through your tears, but fuck it, I won't bother when you're being butchered into a cyberman, or the trauma afterwards even though I could stalk you across time and space pretty much instantly in the first episode... I'll just wait until the last possible moment[/spoiler]

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 July, 2017, 08:04:51 PM
I was amused by the (rather arcane) reference to Grant Morrison's 'The World Shapers' Dr. Who comic buried in there.

Aha, yes. I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it.

JamesC

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Maybe water-lady just thought all that stuff was character building.

Taryn Tailz

Maybe she did try to get through, but couldn't make it in time through the time dilation.

Also revealed tonight was the fact that John Simm's Master carries his own eye liner. ;)