Main Menu

Gunman kills 12 in Denver shooting at "Batman" movie

Started by CYCLOPZ, 20 July, 2012, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Just caught this now (havent been near the internet, or TV all day), dear lord, what totally shocking, and appalling news.
Of course, thoughts go out to the people, and their families.

locustsofdeath!

Ugh, the new details that are coming through are horrifying...

Goaty

even someone take baby and kid to midnight screening, who would do that?  :(

Zarjazzer

Terrible.terrible news. My thoughts are with the wounded and the bereaved.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Goaty on 20 July, 2012, 04:13:39 PM
parents? What the fuck does it matter the age of anyone there?

JamesC

I just hope the media handles this better than they have some of the recent, similar incidents.

Anyone who saw Newswipe will know that the experts say the best way to discourage this sort of thing is to keep the gunman's identity anonymous lest they gain some sort of cult celebrity status which in turn encourages other disturbed minds to carry out similar attacks.

It's a horrible, horrible event and I just wish there was a sure-fire easy way to stop this kind of incident being repeated - unfortunately it seems to be an increasingly common social phenomena.

Goaty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 July, 2012, 04:53:16 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 20 July, 2012, 04:13:39 PM
parents? What the fuck does it matter the age of anyone there?

Sorry

Richmond Clements

Steve Green

Quote from: JamesC on 20 July, 2012, 05:07:50 PM
I just hope the media handles this better than they have some of the recent, similar incidents.

Anyone who saw Newswipe will know that the experts say the best way to discourage this sort of thing is to keep the gunman's identity anonymous lest they gain some sort of cult celebrity status which in turn encourages other disturbed minds to carry out similar attacks.

It's a horrible, horrible event and I just wish there was a sure-fire easy way to stop this kind of incident being repeated - unfortunately it seems to be an increasingly common social phenomena.

Quite, someone mentioned this earlier on the rolling news channels but they still can't or won't recognise that the 24hr reporting of these incidents might encourage others.

Goaty

Heath C Ackley

Terrible news. My thoughts go to the victims and the bereaved.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Mark Taylor

Quote from: A.Cow on 20 July, 2012, 02:43:40 PMI'm no Yank-basher (after all there are so many great people living in the US) but I do wonder if there is something wrong with the American way of life that makes this kind of thing more likely.  After all, this is the fourth such incident this year.

There are a lot more people in America and a higher proportion of those people who have guns. That's probably about it. Going on a killing spree with say, a kitchen knife, probably doesn't have the same appeal for most would-be mass murderers as the point-and-click convenience of a handheld firearm.

Deep down I think assholes like this know they don't deserve to live and maybe that's part of what motivates them to deny others the privilege.

judgeblake

Quote from: Syne on 20 July, 2012, 02:20:31 PM
The youngest injury - a 3 month old - was released from hospital. Not shot, so I'm guessing they were treated for tear-gas inhalation. Or maybe just given a check up.

Only named fatality so far is a young woman named Jessica Ghawi: http://twitchy.com/2012/07/20/aurora-victim-jessica-ghawi-was-tweeting-just-before-her-death/

Photographs taken before the movies started here: http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/07/photos-batman-returns-again/39864/

Pretty depressing.

so sad such a beautiful girl has her life snuffed out due to some sick creep!

and those pics bring home the fact that this was just a group of cinema-goers at a film opening!

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 20 July, 2012, 03:18:03 PM
At the very least they've caught the gunman alive. Most of the time, these wackos kill themselves and never have to answer for their crimes.

Yeah because most of these creeps are so cowardly they cannot confront what they have done - even the act itself of going into a cinema and killing unarmed cinema goers is the most contemptable cowardly act anyone could ever do and only someone who's seriously mentally deranged would do it. He wanted to be known as the Joker, he clearly missed the point of even what the Joker is in the films and comics! instead he's just the lowest of the low, cowardly killer of innocents. Really makes me mad.
My thoughts go out for the bereaved and relatives and friends of the people killed.

HdE

I've been keeping an eye on the live updates throughout the day. I find myself reading them in wide-eyed disbelief.

Seems the guy's flat was booby-trapped, with large quantities of flammable substances on site.

Just how sick IS this guy?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Richmond Clements

Watching it on Newsnight at the minute... horrible. There are some fucked up people in this world...