Main Menu

Gunman kills 12 in Denver shooting at "Batman" movie

Started by CYCLOPZ, 20 July, 2012, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I'm wondering where they got this Joker/red hair connection from anyway. He may have looked that way for ages. Who says he didn't just like dying his hair red?

judgeblake

Quote from: Stan on 24 July, 2012, 06:11:49 PM
I'm wondering where they got this Joker/red hair connection from anyway. He may have looked that way for ages. Who says he didn't just like dying his hair red?

well this is the basis of what they're trying to decide now, and whether or not they should give him the death penalty or not; is he a mentally ill insane guy who thought he was the Joker after losing touch with reality, or was this just a guy wanting to get even with society over his own failings and calculating and planning a murder spree. I'd say the answer is BOTH - but obviously they have to see if the guys completely insane or not so they can decide how to deal with him i.e. what sentence (e.g. death) he gets.

If he liked dying his hair red, he had only been doing it for the past couple of months...within which time he was buying ammunition online as well as guns and boobytrapping his house as well.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 24 July, 2012, 06:11:49 PM

Hope they don't find any 2000Ads in his flat.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Bale visiting some of the wounded in Aurora. Kudos to him!
Never rub another mans rhubarb

judgeblake

yeah that's great Bale has taken it on himself to go and visit the people affected by the shootings - especially the wounded.

here's William Friedkin's opinions on the killer and shootings.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a395256/william-friedkin-batman-cinema-shooter-deserves-gas-chamber.html

Mardroid

I was discussing the shootings with a mate today.

He mentioned that Nolan had visited the victims then went on to say that he apologised to them for producing the film as he was worried it would cause people to act in that way (or words to that effect).

I think my mate got that information from a newspaper, assuming he didn't get the wrong end of the stick. Seems like a lot of sensationalist rubbish to me, if my mate was correct in his reading. Certainly the first time I heard that one.

It rather irritated me although I didn't show it to my mate.

Stan

It would be interesting to see confirmation of that.

judgeblake

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 July, 2012, 11:51:38 PM
I was discussing the shootings with a mate today.

He mentioned that Nolan had visited the victims then went on to say that he apologised to them for producing the film as he was worried it would cause people to act in that way (or words to that effect).

I think my mate got that information from a newspaper, assuming he didn't get the wrong end of the stick. Seems like a lot of sensationalist rubbish to me, if my mate was correct in his reading. Certainly the first time I heard that one.

It rather irritated me although I didn't show it to my mate.

I hadn't heard that to be honest - though I haven't heard details of Bales visit really.

I had guessed that Bale may still be in batman mode (he's somewhat of a method actor dont you know lol) and maybe he saw it as a good thing to visit those affected by the shootings personally having played Batman. I wouldn't think Bale would be ashamed of the batman movies he's made or regarded them as inciting psychos like Holmes....but rather he felt he should act like an ambassador for the films and his role that he has portrayed in condemning any act of violence like the shootings in colorado.

Fisticuffs

I doubt even the most hardcore method actor would still be in character this long after a film wraps. TDKR finished filming a looong time ago now.

Frank

Quote from: judgeblake on 25 July, 2012, 06:35:09 PM
here's William Friedkin's opinions on the killer and shootings.

]http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a395256/william-friedkin-batman-cinema-shooter-deserves-gas-chamber.html]

"That's an isolated act by a madman. They asked him what his favourite movies were. You know what he answered? Star Wars and Dumb and Dumber," Friedkin claimed"

Jeffrey Dahmer was obsessed with Return of the Jedi. Dangerous psychotics like the same banal shite as everyone else, they just make different use of their interests.

judgeblake

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 26 July, 2012, 02:31:24 PM
I doubt even the most hardcore method actor would still be in character this long after a film wraps. TDKR finished filming a looong time ago now.

I dont mean he still thinks he's batman - just that he's trying to think 'what would batman do' in a very very minor way i.e. using celebrity and notariaty to comfort the people affected by the shootings.

maybe I'm not articulating myself well enough lol

judgeblake

the guy died his hair red and not green.....has anyone considered he thought he was ronald mcdonald - my point being; reactionaries are too quick to say 'blame the films' or 'ban computer games'.

Wils

What an awful AWFUL thing to happen. It's a shame that this atrocity will always be associated with the film, but at the same time it could be seen as a sort of memorial to them.

Also...

Quote from: Goaty on 20 July, 2012, 04:13:39 PM
even someone take baby and kid to midnight screening, who would do that?  :(

...I've got to agree with every word my fellow deaffo has to say here and can't even begin to imagine why he felt the need to apologise, as he's not said or done *anything* that warrants it.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Syne

Soon as I heard of today's Sikh temple shooting I thought of Charlie Brooker's old Newswipe piece on saturation coverage of mass shootings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jn_qUXtMk&feature=youtu.be

It makes me sick to think this is never going to change.