Main Menu

New Rebellion TPB Covers - Murder 101 & The Meknificent Seven...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 20 October, 2004, 02:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieB

Hey, I still work here! And besides, they're BLOODY GOOD BOOKS!

J-Bo-and-I-ought-to-know-1

Max Kon

longmanshort

J-Bo-they'll-be-after-bloody-Chronos-Carnival-next-1

Sounds to me like you're almost complaining that we're shelling out for these things, Mr J-Bo-watch-it-my-lad-1!!!

;oP
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dudley

I'm just waiting for the moment that he starts at titan and starts telling us how much better their graphic novels are.

JamieB

Grant Goggans

Hey, now!  The never-printed third series of Chronos Carnival could be a lost treasure for all us proles know!

--Grant, big fan of Rian Hughes

Byron Virgo

Do you ever find yourself agreeing whole-heartedly with someone, then wake up to the fact that they've just dropped a steaming metophorical turd into your brain?

I just experioenced the following:
"Here's hoping Slaine stops before it gets shit, too, although that'll be pretty tricky, seeing as that whole Tomb of Terror thing was pretty dire."

OI! NO! You're bang out of order, Indigo, and I was agreeing with everything you were saying before, you cheeky tart!

(ps. I too would like to see a nice fat Rian Hughes collection, but not of bloody Robo-Hunter - Really & Truly was much better)

IndigoPrime

If you liked Tomb of Terror then fair enough. At the time, I thought it was shit. When I read it in Bo2K, I thought it was shit. And when I re-read it recently, just to check whether or not it was shit, I discovered that it was, in fact, shit. Slaine worked really well as a gritty barbarian getting into scrapes, but the introduction of various sci-fi elements (and then ?shudder? role-playing) made for a poor story, in my opinion. It got itself back together with Spoils of Annwyn [sp?] and Slaine the King, which was, in my opinion, where Slaine should have ended. Horned God was pretty enough, but mostly a recycling exercise with great Bisley art for the first two books, and then a boring slog with dire Bisley art for the third book. After that, Slaine was just a horrible joke.

Byron Virgo

Scared teh shit out of me as a kid, and it was on e of the first times I confronted 2000AD's rapacious desire for the death of supporting characters. Lovely Fabry and Pugh artwork too (for some reason I assumed it was the same artist as a kid).

However, I think Slaine should have finished after the Horned God, as it was really good (Slaine is constantly rehashing itself) nad brought things to a nice conclusion.

Grant Goggans

Gawd, I somehow forgot about Really & Truly; that's another 40 pages or so of very nice Hughes artwork just screaming to be re-collected.

--Grant

IndigoPrime

Even better if they somehow missed the speech balloons...

That's the thing with Rian Hughes?he's a great artist and designer, but he didn't half get landed with some total dross to draw. Just about the only thing I can think of that was okay in 2000 AD was those Future Shock-style one-parters with that bloke in the chair. (Well, apart from Dare, but then Rebellion doesn't own any rights to that.)

Grant Goggans

Amusingly enough, I can think of exactly five decent things Mark Millar wrote for 2000 AD/the Meg, and two of them were Tales from Beyond Science drawn by Rian Hughes - The Men in Red and Long Distance Calls.  John Smith's episodes were really good, too.  And then there were the McKenzie efforts, which at least had purty pickters.

--Grant

opaque

I have a mini GN of Chronos Carnival.
Probably one of those better bound one-off things.

opaque

Are Bison and Avatar out or not?
Just they're not on that list but they are on the 2000ad shop wheras none of the others are.

The Amstor Computer

Opaque:

Bison, Atavar and Wardog are all out, but they aren't published as part of the Rebellion/DC deal.

There are two publishing lines of 2000AD material at the moment:

Rebellion/DC titles - these collections are the ones being discussed on this thread. They're published by DC and Rebellion in a joint arrangement, collecting some of the more "mainstream" and US-friendly 2000AD strips, as well as the 2000AD "classics".

Rebellion titles - these books are published solely by Rebellion and are aimed more at the European/UK market. This line includes Wardog, Bison and Atavar, and future releases will include stuff like Lobster Random, Leviathan, Bec & Kawl and Fiends of the Eastern Front.

Hope this clears things up a little!