Main Menu

ABC Warriors trailer by Firestep films

Started by Dash Decent, 03 October, 2009, 03:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

That's me told.  Thanks for the correction. 

Bloody Marvel.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mike Gloady

Oh, there's another thread discussing what folks might think re: voice acting for this.  Go have a look and post your thoughts. 

http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26415.msg457716.html#msg457716

flintlockjaw

Absolutely fantastic!

Looks waaaay better than I expected.

gdarmo

Am I the only one concerned about 'a kids version' of this?
The grittiness and violence and moral ambiguity of the Warriors are their biggest appeal for me. I don't want a watered-down version.

They should make a series of hour-long DVD releases - similar to what Marvel are doing with the Avengers animated features, and Planet Hulk. Then they could make it more to to the original spitit of the comic.

It would be very difficult to follow the timeline of the series (is there one anymore?) but I would like to see the Volgan War, The original Mars series era, the Termight / Gothic Empire era (minus the complication of Nemesis), the Black Hole, the Hekate storyline, and the current Mars Era all covered, and include all personnel changes, so we see the deaths of Happy Shrapnel, Mad Ronn, Hitaki, and Morrigun, and the various incarnations of Steelhorn. You could really get a story which spans a thousand years without all the time travel mess. You could even get a Ro-Busters flashback in there to set up occasional appearances by Ro-Jaws...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: gdarmo on 22 November, 2009, 01:10:22 PM
Am I the only one concerned about 'a kids version' of this?

Why? Big shooty robots fighting! Merchandise potential! What's not to like?

I've never felt the ABC Warriors to be particularly 'gritty' to start with, and using robots means you can maintain a level of violence in an animated show much higher than you could with human characters.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

And a good story is a good story even if its aimed at kids, as DCs cartoons so often show.

HdE

Yeah. If this is to be  'kid friendly' show, it doesn't bother me. ABC Warriors has always been about the characters and the comedy in my book.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mike Gloady

I'm quite up for a kid-friendly version myself.  It was very friendly to many of US as kids, after all.  And because they're robots, you can do pretty much what you like compared to the kind of restrictions you'd have with humans, aliens etc....

Richmond Clements

What's wrong with 'kid' (I hate that word) friendly?
Roald Dahl wrote childrens books, but few could be described as friendly!
And then there's Star Wars, where we cheer as a teenage boy blows up a space station and murders millions of government workers...

Mike Gloady

Vader was only chasing him to serve him his ASBO in person. 

gdarmo

Its not so much the violence aspect - I was thinking more of character traits like Blackblood's duplicity and betrayal and Mek-Quake's psychotic killing sprees. I don't want those to be lost, just to send out a nice moral message, as is common in most animations.

Mike Gloady

Oh I hope not.  Blackblood and Mek-Quake's peculiar character traits are one of the main things that set the series apart from other comics that attempt to do similar things...

Still, being a traitorous bastard isn't, in and of itself, the sort of thing that'll get you stuck in adult's-only territory.  And Mekkers could always just destroy STUFF (he is a bulldozer after all) and always be just one lucky step away from killing innocent bystanders.

HdE

Of course, all this talk of 'kid-friendly' animation might be completely wide of the mark.

It might be crude and funny as hell. Sort of like the Young Ones - if the Young Ones was a sci-fi series with big robots and aliens in it.

Which it isn't.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

gdarmo

I suppose the 'kid friendly' possibiliy comes from the fact that the animation company doing the ABC clip also produced the red button Doctor Who : Dreamland feature. I just don't want 2000AD to prostitute its characters too much so that they become the "must have kids toy" for next christmas. They need to retain some sense of 'underground cool'.... Doctor Who is now aimed at 11 year olds, but anyone marketing 2000AD material should avoid that strategy...

Bolt-01

Micro-Bolt is only ten- and he 'loves' the warriors, so Grud forbid one of Thargs top creations should be so successfully marketed that it causes the comic to go up in sales. Or are you suggesting that Tharg should pander to an increasingly aging demographic, simply because we've been here longer?

Without new readers the comic will die, and so will the IP's. If the cartoon is done well I don't really mind if it is aimed at 'kids'