Main Menu

ECBT2000ad Podcast #15 - The return of the Oirish lad

Started by bluemeanie, 26 November, 2009, 02:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

It's obvious you're more willing to give it a go than Flint who seems to pretty much loathe it. 

I'm probably more in your camp than Flint's.  There are great BITS to it - but, like Flint says, they tend to evapourate in the light of critical scrutiny.  A pity, as I quite like a lot of Tony's work on the ideas front.  This second book IS a lot better than the prequel, but it seems to suffer from cramming a lot of twisty-turny stuff into a short time.  If it were given more time to breathe on that front and the dialogue were a little less clunky, I reckon it'd be more my thing. 

Still, not every thrill worked it's magic from the beginning.  Look at early Dredd for an example of something that grew with time. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: bluemeanie on 26 November, 2009, 10:25:55 PM
So hang on...
If a farm in the country is Kingdom speak for death, does that mean the next arc will be the last?

No, no ... not at all. Gene doesn't know it means death -- being a big, literal dog, he actually thinks there's a farm, and he's actually looking for it. It was just a lie that a 'master' told Gene to cover up the fact that he'd killed Gene's friend but Gene -- bless 'im -- absolutely takes it at face value.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

bluemeanie

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2009, 10:41:32 PM
No, no ... not at all. Gene doesn't know it means death -- being a big, literal dog, he actually thinks there's a farm, and he's actually looking for it. It was just a lie that a 'master' told Gene to cover up the fact that he'd killed Gene's friend but Gene -- bless 'im -- absolutely takes it at face value.

Cheers

Jim

I wasnt saying Gene knew it meant death. I was just wondering if its the writer letting us know he's heading towards his end even if Gene himself doesnt realise that.
Hell, he might even find the masters who tell him he's done well and deserves a rest and if he just steps into this room they'll take him to the farm... and blam! So ends the tale of the Gene dog.

Would be surprised though. They must know they are onto a winner with this strip so I cant see them ending it any time soon.

radiator

I think Abnett can keep going with it as long as he wants - the only issue I can see is that if Richard Elson gets poached by Marvel or DC would we want the series to continue with a different artist?

Mike Gloady

I would.

Although I'd want them to be their own person, with a personal vision and that'd mean different.  An example of what I mean could be found in what happened to Nemesis after O'Neil.  Talbot & Hicklenton were both very individual artists, fairly different to O'Neil.  And Flint, with his obvious debts to O'Neil, is very much his own man (or was by the time he did any work on Nemesis).

If we didn't get an Elson clone I'd be happy for it to continue.  

stacey

Na I don't think its Kingdom talk, it's like a cliche thing to say to kids if the dog has died. I don't think it means the death of Gene but the reminder, as other's have said, that Gene isn't a human he is a dog and he takes things literally.

Loved the episode as always - my suggestion would be rather than an old prog do a Meg review. I love the Meg, this issue has a class Al Ewing Dredd story and a great Tales from teh Black Museum by Arthur Wyatt and PJ Holden. Great stuff.

But however, Iz is wrong, Jonny Alpha is gorgeous, he could only possibly be beaten by Bigby Wolf in the Fables books, cos you know Bigby is still alive....erm, I possibly need to get out more!

Mike Gloady

Johnny AND Bigby? Got a thing for "dogs" eh? ;p  Good work on the fill in podcasts, Stace.

stacey

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 27 November, 2009, 07:47:58 PM
Johnny AND Bigby? Got a thing for "dogs" eh? ;p  Good work on the fill in podcasts, Stace.

hehe looks like it dunnit? Thanks Mike! :-) Glad the Flint man is back I missed him.

bluemeanie

Quote from: stacey on 27 November, 2009, 10:48:51 PM
Glad the Flint man is back I missed him.

Speak for yourself, I preferred being surrounded by my beeeetches!!

Peter Wolf

I always do artwork while i listen to these discussions and they always help my work a lot .There was a noticable difference in the fact that no alcohol involved as well.

Thanks and keep doing more.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

bluemeanie

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 28 November, 2009, 12:10:05 AM
I always do artwork while i listen to these discussions and they always help my work a lot .There was a noticable difference in the fact that no alcohol involved as well.

Thanks and keep doing more.

Yeah, sucked didnt it?
I'll be good and wasted next time   ;D

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 27 November, 2009, 01:04:02 PM
if Richard Elson gets poached by Marvel or DC...

Why hasn't this happened already?  If I was a company putting out a space-type superhero book I'd have him in an exclusive contract before he could blink.  He's just an incredible artist.

Mike Gloady

Peter Wolf

Quote from: radiator on 27 November, 2009, 01:04:02 PM
I think Abnett can keep going with it as long as he wants - the only issue I can see is that if Richard Elson gets poached by Marvel or DC would we want the series to continue with a different artist?

Dont even think about.

Dont    even   think  about   it.

I wouldnt want the series to change artists but if its the difference between having Kingdom and not having Kingdom then i wouldnt mind but i cant think of a suitable artist who could take over.

Richard Elson is free to work for who he wants as long as he keeps doing Kingdom and why does someone have to be tied to an exclusive contract anyway ?

So if any Marvel or DC people are reading this then you keep your damned dirty hands off Richard Elson or you will be on the recieving end of my wrath.

You have been warned.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

stacey

Is that Peter Andre pimped up? Bloody hell I hope not!  ;D