Main Menu

Digital download progs in 2000AD shop

Started by DrJomster, 03 December, 2010, 10:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toni Scandella

I'd like a dual subscription - I already subscribe to both the Prog and the Meg, plus I pay for digital editions - it's easier to keep them on the computer than to take a a trip to the attic to re-read stuff - but then I'm maybe obsessive :)

IndigoPrime

I like how some of the niche titles I subscribe to operate—MacFormat, for example, provides subscribers with access to a digital archive, where you can grab PDFs of back issues. Still, the value proposition is of course wildly different for the likes of 2000 AD (in more value being retained in back issues).

John Caliber

Would the concept of an online shop where individual stories could be downloaded, customers cherry-picking what they fancied, make financial sense, or does the fear exist of their diminishing the content/sales of future hardcopy TPBs? I'd love to be able to replace hundreds of the crappy scans I've reluctantly acquired with scans straight from the negatives/masters.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Peter Wolf

Quote from: John Caliber on 14 December, 2010, 10:12:44 AM
Would the concept of an online shop where individual stories could be downloaded, customers cherry-picking what they fancied, make financial sense, or does the fear exist of their diminishing the content/sales of future hardcopy TPBs?

That would depend on how much was charged for the digital strips which would be less the cost of printing and distribution.No idea what that costs but i am sure that digital strips would make money and if the strip has already been reprinted then it doesnt matter about diminishing the content of those and if its strips that havent been reprinted yet and physical copies are going to continue to be reprinted then it doesnt matter anyway.

As far as i know this is what is being proposed as everything will eventually be available digitally.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

updatatr0n

Like W3bz said in his dulcet tones, we've pretty much got Progs, Megs and GN's planned eventually. Exciting times for the digitally-inclined folks amongst you, although you can rest assured that we will always put priority on the value of the physical on-shelf products.

It'd be interesting to know which particular GN's and the like you folks would be most keen on seeing first. We're secretly spying on you, you know :o.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: updatatr0n on 14 December, 2010, 12:16:27 PM
Like W3bz said in his dulcet tones, we've pretty much got Progs, Megs and GN's planned eventually. Exciting times for the digitally-inclined folks amongst you, although you can rest assured that we will always put priority on the value of the physical on-shelf products.

It'd be interesting to know which particular GN's and the like you folks would be most keen on seeing first. We're secretly spying on you, you know :o.

If you're secretely spying on me, then you already know that I want the ones with the most breasts in them.

SBT

one_mad_dog

So how do these digital copies look on an IPad ?  Are they readable full page or do you have to scroll a lot ?
Was thinking of getting an Ipad for long business trips and being able to read 2000AD on the plane would be a nice bonus.

diziet

Quote from: one_mad_dog on 15 December, 2010, 03:38:02 AM
So how do these digital copies look on an IPad ?  Are they readable full page or do you have to scroll a lot ?
Was thinking of getting an Ipad for long business trips and being able to read 2000AD on the plane would be a nice bonus.

They are very nice on iPad.  Readable full page, comics that go across two pages are rendered as one.  The Slaine stories and the previous ABC Warriors spring to mind.  Those are best zoomed, simple double tap, scroll about, double tap back out.  I use the free ComicBookLover.

I only have two issues with them, both minor:

1) Digital releases are behind the physical.  Really minor for me as getting physical copies is a pita. 
2) The font size used in the stories compared to the rez of the digital downloads renders some minor text hard to read.

Point 2 needs real clarification so here we go...

Small Print Prog 1716 Digital Download

Advert Corner Prog 1716 Digital Download

Judge Dredd Panel Section Prog 1715 Digital Download

Judge Dredd Story Flash Prog 1712 Digital Download

Note on the last image you cannot tell what story number it is clearly, although common sense dictates it says "Doctor What? part one".  Also you might find the above images, being embedded, slightly shrunk in your browser.  Chrome users can view images in a new tab, or you can cut and paste the url as i've not restricted hotlinking.

All images captured straight from an iPad with ComicBookLover using XCode.  Please bear in mind these are the worst examples of issues with the chosen resolution for digital editions compared to their print counterparts.  All artwork looks top notch on PC or iPad.  I am more than happy with the quality as they stand, especially at this price point.  All single page dialogue is clear without zoom.  Of the images above where the image is zoomed it was a stand zoom in comicbooklover, I believe this to be to zoom such that the image is 1:1, e.g. it shows 1024x768 pixels of the image on the iPad screen and thus DPI matched.  I haven't checked...

Can anyone enlighten me on these two questions:

1) Will we see an increase in fidelity?
2) Is there any ETA on the Megazine going digital?
3) Digital Subscriptions?

Apologies if the above is already answered, I saw this question and wanted to post as I've been buying digital back issues for the last week.  Though I'd share my experiences.

To Rebellion, keep it up guys.

diziet

Fuzzocks.  I edited a load of text and I was way too slow. :(

Below in case it was relevant rather than waffle, images removed.

-- SNIP--
Quote from: one_mad_dog on 15 December, 2010, 03:38:02 AM
So how do these digital copies look on an IPad ?  Are they readable full page or do you have to scroll a lot ?

They are very nice on iPad.  Readable full page, comics that go across two pages are rendered as one.  The Slaine stories and the previous ABC Warriors spring to mind.  Those are best zoomed, simple double tap, scroll about, double tap back out.  I use the free ComicBookLover.

I only have two issues with them, both minor:

1) Digital releases are behind the physical.  Really minor for me as getting physical copies is a pita.  
2) The font size used in the stories compared to the rez of the digital downloads renders some minor text hard to read.

Point 2 needs real clarification so here we go...

Small Print Prog 1716 Digital Download - Boiler Plate/Copyright Text hard to read, main text slightly fuzzed but still easily readable when zoomed out fully.

Advert Corner Prog 1716 Digital Download - Same as previous example.

Judge Dredd Panel Section Prog 1715 Digital Download - V. V. Minor artifacts in lettering in boxouts. 

Judge Dredd Story Flash Prog 1712 Digital Download - Can't read comic story number, although common sense dictates it says "Doctor What? part one".  

Also you might find the above images, being embedded, slightly shrunk in your browser.  Chrome users can view images in a new tab with right click, or you can cut and paste the url as i've not restricted hotlinking.

All images captured straight from an iPad with ComicBookLover using XCode.  Please bear in mind I've chosen panels without key artwork etc. for a reason as I don't want to upload anything that could get me in trouble.  All artwork looks top notch on PC or iPad.  I am more than happy with the quality as they stand, especially at this price point.  All the zooms are just a double tab rather than a pinch type one, I believe this to be zoomed such that the image is 1:1, e.g. it shows 1024x768 pixels of the image on the iPad screen and thus DPI matched.  I haven't checked...

If there aren't any art details you're keen on grokking in more detail and the comics don't have double page spreads you can comfortably read the comic 1 whole page at a time.

Can anyone enlighten me on these two questions:

1) Will we see an increase in fidelity?
2) Is there any ETA on the Megazine going digital?
3) Digital Subscriptions?

Apologies if the above is already answered, I saw this question and wanted to post as I've been buying digital back issues for the last week.  Though I'd share my experiences.

To Rebellion, keep it up guys.
-- SNIP--

John Caliber

The aspect of the digital Megazines that has irked me is the gulf in quality between the Megazine proper and the 'pack-in' reprint (the digital download tags the reprint onto the Megazine's end). Sometimes the type has been too small for comfort, but of terrible quality when enlarged only one 'click' (I view them on my Cintiq 21UX). I've not been able to achieve my ambition of replacing my existing scans, which although are amateurish in quality have a higher legibility. Are the reprints processed somehow differently to the Megazine before combining them to create the .cbz archive?

I of course appreciate these reprints were never intended for viewing on a digital platform, but they do appear to have been formatted with too high a compression factor (or some such format conversion).
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Mardroid

I actually noticed that in the latest meg on Clickwheel. The introductory stuff (The hippy bit*) at the start of Samizdat Squad looked rather strange. Maybe it was supposed to being a back-flash type thing.

*What was that about, by the way? It thought they might be actors in some kind of play with all their 'tribal' talk.

flintlockjaw

Pete Wells

Having more money than sense I have a subscription and I buy the progs digitally too. This year I was a bit naughty and downloaded an illegal copy of Prog 2011 but then, once it came out, guiltily bought the digital version.

The thing that struck me was the guy who had done the 'unofficial' version had taken the time to join Clint Langley's Slaine pages as well as Ben Willsher's superb poster - whereas the official prog didn't! Strange, as they'll have had the original files...

John Caliber

Quote from: Mardroid on 07 February, 2011, 06:04:15 PM
*What was that about, by the way? It thought they might be actors in some kind of play with all their 'tribal' talk.

I assumed it was the final words of the innocent natives of the Earthly paradise that MC1's TADs were diverted to. Or, maybe their spirits survived in a ghostly form and are now communicating in some weird purgatory created by the sundering of the dimension void.

DrJomster

I was lucky enough to get an iPad from the lovely MrsJ last year and I have to say I LOVE it for reading comics on. I'm currently reading the Meg on it and have noticed the odd bit of compression type issues on the clickwheel PDFs but have found it pretty minor tbh, particularly given the amazing £2/Meg price point!!!  :D

I think I'll end up buying quite a few GNs in pdf, if only because I don't have any room in our house for physical copies and it reduces the chances of the kids doodling in them!

I'm more than happy with the idea of buying physical weekly progs (as I can't be waiting for those now can I?) and picking up PDF GNs as they come out. If anyone's got Return To Armageddon in the pipeline, that would be much appreciated... Oh, and Nemesis Book 3 of course!  :D
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.