Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qtwerk

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 21 December, 2012, 10:57:53 AM
MIB3. Really enjoyed it. Much more than I thought I would. Thought K was looking old though.

He is old

willthemightyW

The Hobbit. Good, but I'm only gonna list the negatives, because I'm like that! Battle scenes went on for far too long! And it's not just that they dragged on a bit, like what could be said of the last fight scene in The Raid, but for me this went past the point of slightly irritant, to the stage where every time someone started running with there sword I genuinely wanted to fast forward, and by the time it came to what was the most important or pivotal (the last one then) fight of the film, I just lost interest because of how much had been taken up before hand by the same thing; I suppose that's one of the ways they intended to pad the films out! Also the visual effects were not as good as I had expected (but then again I suppose this 'journey' was supposed to be 'unexpected'! Do you see what I did there? No. Okay.), I actually felt in a lot of places they were sub-par; I feel I can say that about a film with this budget, from such creators, and with the fact that the effects in LOTR were so good (I know it's a ll relative to what they were capable of when etc) and what can be done now and the fact that WETA were involved. This was especially apparent on the wolves the orcs ride (can't remember their names, is it wargs?). And the pale-orc was just really lack lutre, mainly in appearance I suppose.
But hey, I enjoyed the film quite a bit nonetheless!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

shaolin_monkey

Watched Empire and Jedi with my girls over the weekend.  Xmas just isn't complete without at least one Star Wars film.

DeFuzzed

Expendables 2 - Felt too much like a video game shoot-out fest too many times, but that's not why you watch this ridiculous thing - you watch it for the old timers making fun of themselves! Hilarious, regardless of the awkward deliveries and stretched thin faces. Stand-out - Jean Claude van Damme makes a brilliant villain.

Prometheus -  If we really are so stupid when we get to the space-faring stage in our evolution, we deserve everything we get. Idiots. Other than that, what a waste of Charlize. Anyway, regardless of being disappointed in the meat of the movie, I wasn't bored so there is that to say about it.

NapalmKev

The Wrath of Khan.
Love this film, easily my favorite of the original cast movies. Some of the special effects like a bit ropey by today's standard, but an enjoyable watch none the less.

Second best is probably Undiscovered Country, and third, the original motion picture.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

shaolin_monkey

No love for the one with the whales then?  I agree though - WoK is the best by far.

Hawkmumbler

Rise of the Guardians with the family today. Surprisingly, I really, really liked this. Wich is a bit of a shock because very little from Dream Works has interested or even entertained me in years, yet here is something that is really quite moody and frankly original. It was a breath of fresh air ad I found myself enjoying it more and more. One of the best movies of the year? No, but certainly one i'll be revisiting.

Mardroid

They're doing The Snowman and The Snowdog right now. I can't help thinking that the kid leaving his stripy mittens on the dog's sides was a rather warped design idea. It makes it appear as if the dogs rig cage is exposed.

Or my mind just has a tendency to go to a dark place. Probably that. Seriously, it doesn't look right though.

Kudos to the artjists and animators keeping the same style as the original with that lovely pastel look though.

I'm not sure why they nicked that plane since Mr Snowman has that superman thing going on, but it made for some nice visuals.

Mardroid

I wonder, did his parents let him [spoiler]keep that dog? Oy Junior! Where did you get that stray? I know you just lost Fido, but you can't just take someone else's mutt![/spoiler] Heh.

Charlie boy

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
A friend got me this for Christmas thinking it would be funny and I'm now wondering if I should ever talk to this person again. I'll admit- the brutal reviews I found online and the fact it has "Brilliant"- Daily Star written across the cover had me assume it would be an enjoyable kind of bad but it really isn't. This is just a bad, bad film.

von Boom

The Princess Bride - We watch this one every so often and I love it every time. This has to be Rob Reiner's best film. This film never loses it charm for me.

radiator

Rob Reiner is a seriously underrated and versatile filmmaker. To my mind there isn't a single dud among his first 8 movies - a much higher hit rate than even the likes of Spielberg.

shaolin_monkey

I love the Princess Bride, but of Reiner's films I still say This Is Spinal Tap is his best one. Agreed though, he's s fab filmmaker!

I've just finished watching Brave on my shiny new 32" 3D TV (sorry, its so awesome I'm probably going to be banging on about it for some time). The story was entertaining enough, and I loved the soundtrack (memories of the homeland!) but the visuals completely won me over. The lush scenery, and fluidly characterful animations, all in flawless 3D, were just stunning. Loved it.

Colin YNWA

Princess Bride is possibly my favourite film of all time. There's a few fighting for the title but its up there. The book is brilliant too.

I, Cosh

Is a film automatically a Western just because it's set in a particular time and place or does it need some other element? Just watched Meek's Cutoff, a rather dull film about a small group of pioneers wandering aimlessly around the empty parts of America, unsure whether their guide is malevolent or simply incompetent. Very little action and the character-driven drama which could've saved never really gets going either.

Michelle Williams is pretty good as a feister than average woman in a bonnet but there's really very little to recommend this.
We never really die.