Main Menu

Dredd (2011): What the latest?

Started by Goaty, 23 June, 2011, 10:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

It made BC:

www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/23/a-teaser-poster-for-dredd/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 June, 2011, 05:40:15 PMFor some reason the badge looks a bit squished to me, like the affect you get when watching wide screen TV the wrong perspective. This might just be because I'm so used to the comic version of the badge though.

No, it looks wrong because whoever took the picture is pointing the camera from an low-angle below the poster.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 23 June, 2011, 06:36:36 PM

Also the text in the poster is out of focus so you cant read it which seems to be deliberate or else it never occured to whoever took the picture that others might be interested in reading the credits.

Think of it like the near/far scene in 'Father Ted'.

COMMANDO FORCES

I should film a trailer with all my models and put that up on the web and see if everyone believes that  ;)

blackmocco

Mock-up or not, I quite like it. Sorry.

It's simple and effective. The badge is an iconic image with Dredd. If it channels the '95 movie that's too bad but in terms of grabbing anyone's attention, this more than does the job and really, what other image are you going to tease people with for a Dredd movie? It's from the same source. Some of the imagery's too good not to reuse as promotional concepts. Can't worry about reminding people there's a crap version based on the same character. Just have to convince them this version's (hopefully) better.

I think the splatter's great as well though. If there's one aspect that separates it from the Stallone version, it's that. Reminds me of America. "Justice Is Coming". The fascist imagery of the badge covered in blood. Kickass. Hope it's not a mock-up. I'd have that on my wall in a heartbeat.

Also, the other two posters he has up are shite and this one at least looks like it's a step beyond his pathetic Photoshop skills...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dandontdare

the tyres on that badge are far too thin. It doesn't look like the badge in the comic so the movie's going to be shit. They haven't released a twenty minute trailer so it's obviously been cancelled.

there. No need to read the rest of the thread now.  :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Emperor on 23 June, 2011, 07:33:07 PM

Yes indeed. If you look at his account he has two other posters from two Dredd movies that never happened:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewxquinn/5839037204/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewxquinn/5839037258/in/photostream

Are they right? They look like rather poor quality digital mock-ups but someone like CF would be able to tell us if he isn't already round at that guy's house sneaking in through a window with a bag marked "swag."

They are the old Shoreline posters - utilising the Dredd model at the time - they were on the Shoreline web-site yonks ago and yes, they were and are shite.

Quote from: Emperor on 23 June, 2011, 07:33:07 PM
Also there is no Quinn listed in the crew for the film on IMDB (although there are two for the Stallone version), although that might not mean anything.

Well Quinn wouldn't be a clue since 'Quinn' is the bloke who's 'friend's' dad supposedly worked on the film?

SmallBlueThing

So- so far everything 'the general public' knows about this movie can be summed up in: a blurry photo of possibly urban's stand-in, a fat man on a motorbike going past a brick wall, and a dodgy poster that may or may not be knocked up in someone's bedroom. And some beaten up old transit vans in a car park.

This is either the single greatest marketing campaign in movie history, or they really need to do some damage limitation, fast.

SBT

Steve Green

And... been taken down from the flickr stream.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Oh it's been taken down already?

Well if it WAS IS the poster to promote the Movie it had has a clear, strong image. Goody.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

blackmocco

Interesting. More than likely official then. Just in time for San Diego Comic-Con next month...

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 June, 2011, 07:53:01 PM
This is either the single greatest marketing campaign in movie history, or they really need to do some damage limitation, fast.

SBT

They've been doing damage limitation. That's why we haven't seen anything official yet. When they do, we'll see a big difference. Can we please not steer this thread the way all the others have gone...?

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Steve Green

I really hope not.

I really, really hope that it is not a final teaser poster.

Design aside, technically it's not up to snuff.

COMMANDO FORCES

Those other posters on his site have been on the web for years, as I have them saved on the laptop in my Dredd files. I think I first saw them on the MegaCity Justice site!

By the way, this poster reminds me of some of the SEGA stuff I have but that's in the attic and I'm off to work soon, so I'll try and check tomorrow!

blackmocco

It's not the texture I would have chosen to render the badge with, it's true, but it's no worse than most movie early teaser posters. Mind you, that says more about the state of the current movie poster in general than anything else...

www.BLACKMOCCO.com