Main Menu

Top Shelf / Marshal Law

Started by rogue69, 23 August, 2010, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Bad news, after waitng over 3 years for the collected edition of Marshal Law to be published Kevin O'Niel & Pat Mills have parted company with Top Shelf comics. but good news whilst at SDCC they were approached by DC comics & are now in negotiations to publish Marshal Law instead

Mikey

Dagnabbit! Hopefully this'll happen at some point; I've never read Marshal Law and am really looking forward to a nice bumper edition.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Colin YNWA

That is a shame. Be interesting to see what DC do with it though. Doesn't Superman (or this equivalent) shoot up in it?

JOE SOAP

Shit, and Top Shelf are one of the "good guys".

Cpt Rhodes

The ultimate cynical nightmare for cape fans.
Can't wait to get this at some point in the future.

Emperor

I have the first trade but it is hammered from re-reading so I've been looking forward to this, I hope it finally gets things moving on this front.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Albion

I've just read Marshall Law - Fear And Loathing for the first time after getting it from Ebay recently. Good stuff indeed, I must get some more.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Robin Low

Quote from: Albion on 23 August, 2010, 09:03:56 PM
I've just read Marshall Law - Fear And Loathing for the first time after getting it from Ebay recently. Good stuff indeed, I must get some more.

I'd definitely wait until some reprints appear. Fear and Loathing is one of my all-time favourite comics, but I felt that much of what followed ruined the character and was more about Pat Mills taking the piss out of superhero comics, but this time without anything interesting to say.

That said, Marshal Law Takes Manhattan and Marshal Law - Kingdom of the Blind are very entertaining piss-takes.

Regards

Robin

eggonlegs

well worth a read - not sure if i have read them all, will this collection include everything thats been printed?

PsychoGoatee

Marshal Law once had a crossover with Savage Dragon!

The lesson here: read Savage Dragon everybody, its glorious!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 24 August, 2010, 08:38:40 PM
The lesson here: read Savage Dragon everybody, its glorious!

Hand lettered by Tom Orzechowski, too. To the best of my knowledge, this and Turf (lettered by John Workman) are the only mainstream books being lettered by hand in the whole of the US industry.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Quote from: Robin Low on 24 August, 2010, 11:21:47 AM

I'd definitely wait until some reprints appear. Fear and Loathing is one of my all-time favourite comics, but I felt that much of what followed ruined the character and was more about Pat Mills taking the piss out of superhero comics, but this time without anything interesting to say.

That said, Marshal Law Takes Manhattan and Marshal Law - Kingdom of the Blind are very entertaining piss-takes.

I think 'Kingdom of the Blind' in particular still has enough of an edge, despite mostly being a merciless parody of Batman: the final line regarding Kiloton is quite telling. '...Takes Manhattan' includes the line "Assholes assemble!" which pretty much meant I could never read Avengers in quite the same way any more. I would say that 'Super-Babylon' is where it starts to go a little bit wobbly, but even that has its charms. I must confess, I actually really enjoyed the crossover with Hellraiser, mostly because O'Neill does a fine cenobite, and Pat gives Pinhead some great dialogue. I am also very fond of Razorhead.

Roger Godpleton

I ain't never read this before. What the odds on me finding this to be enormously dated when I do?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

maryanddavid

Quotewere approached by DC comics
Good news, might see a Metalzoic reprint as well.
Kingdon of the Blind is great, I remember reading somewhere that a lot of creators were upset at its savage parody of Batman, the Biz one of them, ill try and dig that article out.

Like nearly all Mills stuff, the first series is a class act, the rest is up and down, the story in Toxic, was only OK, Hellraiser crossover is fun, and the one published by Dark Horse with a parody of the Legion of Super Heroes  was great. I think there was a couple of illustrated novels as well but I havent read them.

If its a complete collection, I highly reccomend it, the good well outweighs the bad.

David

BPP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 24 August, 2010, 09:02:43 PM
I ain't never read this before. What the odds on me finding this to be enormously dated when I do?

very little - i dug out the first series a few months back and it was every bit as good as back when first published. It and The Last American are ideal for any 2000AD reader.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd