Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Jamie Beamish takes me back to the Emerald Isle as imagined by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. We also get to discuss Jamie's appearances in Bridgerton and the superlative Derry Girls. Listen in at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2023/04/222-emerald-isle.html

or

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/mega-city-book-club/id1116473423?i=1000610229610

Eamonn Clarke

Two great grail pages for Jamie Beamish. Hopeully we will be able to see the cover image in person at the Steve Dillon exhibition at Lawless.

Eamonn Clarke

Pete Wells makes a record breaking eighth appearance on the book club with a literal and literary monster of a book, From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2023/05/223-from-hell.html

JayzusB.Christ

Well that was absolutely brilliant, thanks Eamonn and Pete. I hadn't realised there was a colour version - I probably would have hated the idea if it hadn't come with PW3LL5's blessing. Also the Rory Bremner made me laugh out loud.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Looks like the NatWest building - which I always used to think was the Kings Reach Tower when I was really young (though I think I was also aware that it wasn't in the right place so couldn't be KRT).

JayzusB.Christ

Never really thought about what building it was, but it was one of the many scenes of which they made a total hames in the film version. Instead of a vision of the future it became a vision of the past, for fexake.

Then Gull tells Johnny Depp that he's given birth to the 20th Century, without a single scene or line of dialogue in the film even hinting at such a feat.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks to Sheridan and Steve Green for identifying the NatWest tower (now called Tower 42).
And to the 2000ADreadersart account on instagram for letting me know that the tower had the same architect (Richard Seifert) as King's Reach tower (now called the South Bank tower).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Seifert

Colin YNWA

Just catching up and listened to Pete 'Lovely' Wells' insights into 'From Hell'. Now far from it for me to undermine such a smart and engaging take on an Alan Moore comic BUT what I want to say if you enjoy Eddie Campbell's art here OR want to know more of his work, or just superb comics then I can't recommend his Bacchus work enough.

Eamonn asked Pete if this was his favourite work by the creators and Pete didn't know much about Eddie's work. I can say quite happily that Bacchus is by far his best work, including 'From Hell'* and I can't recommend it highly enough. There's a wonderful thread about it on this very forum.. Do yourself a favour and don't be Pete Wells (well do he's an amazing chap) BUT in one way don't be like Pete and get to know Eddie Campbell's greatest work.

*Full confession, and I do appreciate this is heiarchy, I'm not From Hell's biggest fan, I'll not go into my misgivings here as this is about Eammon and Pete's great evaluation.

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks, Colin. I may be returning to Bacchus at some point soon.

In the meantime here are Garth Ennis' two grail pages from The Flying Gun

Hawkmumbler

Second Bacchus, no hyperbole but quite likely the single best self publish comic book of all time.

Funny how I've soured on Cerebus The Aardvark over the years, but said series did put me in touch with Bacchus so it's all swings and roundabouts, 'innit.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 24 May, 2023, 10:57:53 AMThanks, Colin. I may be returning to Bacchus at some point soon.

Ohhh colour me intrigued!

sheridan

I've read various bits of Bacchus (stories used to pop up in various anthologies in the nineties) and got the first few months of the regular series that came out.  I'm going to withold asking why the praise is quite so high until after the MCBC episode alluded to!