Main Menu

Baked potato coming through!

Started by christophe, 08 November, 2001, 03:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christophe

Dear 2000AD message board,

I want to write Couch Potatoes is the more funny Dredd I have read this year! It made me laugh better than Helter Skelter. A very brillant idea, well executed.

More than the other writers Gordon Rennie has captured the sensation of the Dredd of Wagner. With Robbie Morrison you can feel it is not Wagner straight away (always the sad children in his Dredd stories!) and Ennis - crazy! But with Rennie, it  consitently does not feel different to Wagner.

Good art from Cliff Robinson. In effect, the art in this week is better than the last week. Apart from Killer. When I read Killer I have vomit leaking through my fingers.

In the avertisement for the megazine, is that Anderson? Why does she have a wookie on the head? I will find out today when I get my copy...

amicalement,

Christophe

Thread Zero

I think the psi judge is Karyn.

The wookie's hair belongs to Chewbaka (forgive the spelling if I have his name wrong!).

He hired it out to Karyn because well....wookies are really bald, you know.

As for Mr Rennie tablets...I have not read this week's Dredd so I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but I find his Dredd's usually nothing special.

scojo who loves to disagree

fraston

heh heh heh

I like you Cristophe:) you have taste and an excellent way with words.

"vomit leaking from my fingers"...he heh heh

fraston

fraston

True it is judge karyn on the front of the new meg. the wookie on her head is very different inside the pages though, as a different artist draws her.

fraston

Mk13

>a different artist draws her.

Can't imagine who that'd be... ;)

Still, whoever that strange masked man is, he does a damn fine spooky Dredd story...

Mk13

>"vomit leaking from my fingers"...

I'll have to remember that one...  :)

mark xiii

I recently introduced a friend of mine to 2000ad. He inherited a farm from his late father a few years ago and has struggled for most of this year following foot & mouth. Can you see where I'm going with this?

I got an e-mail yesterday from this friend who asked the following:

>they dont seem to be very sensitive do they?

I take it he was referring to the last page of this weeks Dredd - Piles of burning carcasses.

>Whats next? Someone flying a spaceship into a building?

I dont think he's going to read 2000ad any more.

Thread Zero

Folks,

With mark, we never know whether he is serious or not!!!

scojo laughing in the face of adversity

Matt

Funny how people can be upset by the satirical content in 2000AD yet find the guns & violence totally acceptable. 2000AD, and indeed Dredd, is at it's best when it is scrutinising the society in which we live. I sympathise for your friend and others that have come through similar experiences, but 2000AD has never set itself up to be bland, escapist entertainment. It's what has made the title so enduring over the years. It's relevance. It's ability to question. As for flying spaceships into the side of buildings, I don't doubt that if the context was correct 2000AD would tackle such a subject.

GordonR

I think your friend's being a bit over-sensitive.

As far as I can see, there's absolutely nothing in that story to suggest it's any kind of reference to foot and mouth outbreaks.

Incidentally, I saw the recently-released Phantom Menace DVD last week.  At the end of it, they burn Qui Gon Jinn's body on a funeral pyre.  Have these movie people no sensitivity blah blah blah...

fraston

but...but...they were potatoes.....

fraston

Matt

...BASTARDS!!! How insensitive of you to publish such a story. Does the Irish Potato Famine mean nothing to you???

mark xiii

Well these farmers are touchy people. Personally I liked the story - It was a bit of a throw-away 'Filler Dredd' but then I'm all for the single parters.

My only gripe... Cliff Robinson. Well, not Cliff himself but the colouring. Once again I'm going to voice my opinion on techo-paint. I hate it. In certain hands it can look good (Flints filler pages on Helter Skelter for example) but when someone screws up the linework of an artist like Robinson it makes me wish for B&W Dredd stories.

Mark - Always serious.

GordonR

Ah, so clearly it's a reference to the misery and human disaster of the Irish Potato Famine.

I ask you, have those insensitive heartless scum at 2000AD no shame at all?

As someone suggested here today, there is such a thing as reading rather too much into the contents of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic...

GordonR

Mark,

Weren't you working on a Future Shock submission witten by Nick Fortune?  I'm sure I saw a piece of artwork for it which you posted to the scriptdroids group a couple of weeks ago.  It was a cartoony-looking strip about cows, I seem to remember...

The point being, of course, that if your friend thought potato funeral pyres ws an insensitive reminder of the foot and mouth outbreak (a viewpoint which you seem to share) how do you think he would have reacted to a comedy Future Shock about cows?