Main Menu

Prog 1460: Jack's back!

Started by Trout, 10 October, 2005, 08:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Hopefully I've not missed another thread, as I'm delighted to start of this week's prog comments!

Arrrrrr, me hearties! Tis a superb cover by Stevey Owl... despite being a crappy joke that's even featured on another cover by the same arist...

Mandroid is fantastic stuff, IMO, and still building nicely. What a final panel! Note the gun is drawn... Uh-oh...

I also enjoyed SinDex, which has proper character development and things actually happening. It held my attention better than it has since Eurocrash. I love that Davies art, too.

Leatherjack was more of the same, all violent gibberish, and I still have no idea why I'm enjoying it.

Lastly, I was chuckling away at The Red Seas. I approve mightily of silly elements like a previously-unheard-of brother and the heroes being saved from the hangman's noose in the nick of time!

Also, exactly how to you hang a beheaded magical dog-thing? Weird!

Overall: a damn fine prog. There's splendid art throughout, and strong storytelling.

- Trout

Dudley

Avast, ye scurvy dogs, for the Red Seas returns to inject some much-needed unbuckled swash into the Galaxy's Greatest.  Some slightly clunky dialogue (during Alexander's arrival) aside, this is a very welcome fillip.  Yeowell's cover is his best for this series and one of the better ones he's done in many a year.

Leatherjack is great... though I am rather more sympathetically inclined to the were-hare, rather than the eponymous bookworm.  Nice library.

Sin/Dex, aka Info/Dump, rollicks along, I guess.

And Mandroid just... keeps... getting... better.  HOW good is that final panel?

Cracking prog.  And letters too!  Yay!

Dudley

Bad Andy

Trout gets it by a minute.

Sorry Duds.

Is that DPS of Leatherjack supposed to be exciting?
Dull dull dull.

And the story has even ripped off Wallace and Gromit's were-rabbit thing. OKay maybe not, but what a coincidence to get two in the same month.

Dark Jimbo

What a GREAT prog! Mandroid is the best it's yet been, Sin Dex is - shock horror - good again, and RELEVANT THINGS ARE ACTUALLY HAPPENING IN IT!! Leatherjack has finally got going, and though it took it's time I still don't begrudge it for that, and after not enjoying the second Red Seas book I was delighted to find that this was actually marveloous stuff akin to the first one!

Overall - yay on all counts! Tharg's triumphed again!

(And so as to not to insult either Duds or the Trout, I've posted this on both prog threads. :) I'm thoughtful like that, see).
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

And... The Cover. Because I like being useful... (gotten by going into Prog 1459's listing, clicking the image, then changing the URL to 1460 and loading it. I'm a totaly L337 Hax0r. I know :P )http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/6219/14607xb.jpg">

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Funt Solo

Yeowell's doing pretty well if he only repeats the same joke twice in 17 years.  Nice cover.

Mandroid
Strength to strength.  That final frame is amazing and I can't wait till next prog.  Serious cliffhanger.

Sinister Dexter
Nice art, but we've seen it and heard it all before, too many times.  So Sinister Dexter are going to be up against Kal Cutter and Ron Charon.  This is SinDexLode:  the city that didn't know when to quit.

Leatherjack
List of ingrediants:  centrespread of mass destruction, a hare that says "wereform on", a teleporting mansion, lots of dead Mary Whitehouse clones, pygmy butlers, Ozimandrias and a semi-naked muscle-bound killing machine.

It should work ... shouldn't it?

The Red Seas
Huzzah!  

I hate his brother, but maybe that's the point.

Pete Wells

Bad Andy said:

"And the story has even ripped off Wallace and Gromit's were-rabbit thing. OKay maybe not, but what a coincidence to get two in the same month."

Hmmph, make that THREE in the same month! I'm getting four interactive books for special needs children published this year and the first one is called, you guessed it, 'Curse of the Werebunny' which I wrote at least three years ago. I'm now cacking my pants that the publisher will pull it 'cos of the film even though it's got nowt to do with Wallace and sodding Gromit!

I can't believe my luck! Anyhoo, there's a nice picture of it below.

Pete.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Wellsy/werebunny.jpg">

Artificial Idiot

"It should work ... shouldn't it?"

It's definatly working for me! Leatherjack is so barmy it's hard for me not to enjoy it.

I was pleased with everything this week, despite getting off to a bad start with Red Seas (dropping in for 'Meanwhile') I really enjoyed this once I read it! And look forward to reading more in the future.

Eck

Leatherjack is bonkers. It was, up until this prog, acceptable bonkers, but dwarf butlers wielding rifles?

Artificial Idiot

What's wrong with rifle weilding dwarfs? I thought that was a highlight!

Funt Solo

Look a little bit closer:  those aren't rifles.

Bolt-01

Hey Pete, nice pic. Let us have a link when the books come out.

Bolt-01

Tiplodocus

Top prog - I even didn't mind Sin/Dex.

Well actually, no I come to think of it, I'm bored with Leatherjack now. G is for God.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=submissions&page=scripttest&choice=15&Field=ID" target="_blank">Click here for Judge Dredd vs Werebunnies

Be excellent to each other. And party on!