Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

My one complaint about Doom: Eternal is [spoiler]when you shoot a hole in Mars, it doesn't let you pull the trigger[/spoiler]
You may quote me on that.

repoman

I'm playing a game called Islanders (on PS4).

It's so good.  It's basically a puzzle game/city builder crossover.  Very intuitive though.  You get given 'packs' of buildings and have to place them on an island.  Certain buildings score points when placed near compatible other ones, conflicting buildings however will cost you points.  It's all about maximising your score so that you can keep the progress going.

It's very chilled out but really enjoyable.  A total gem.

Link Prime

I'm about 50% through Resident Evil Village on PS5.

It's a strange one - at times seemingly quite difficult, but when the solution to whatever puzzle presents itself (e.g. how to weaken the vampire daughter enemies) it ultimately ends up a breeze.

Otherwise its the usual great graphics and oft-nonsense horror tale that has been entertaining us for decades. Fans of Resident Evil 4 and / or large bosomed giant vampire femme fatales will be in their element.

VIII / 10.

ming

repoman

Playing/reviewing loads of tat at the moment.

Most recent is GTA Online which is something I'd never play again (I dabbled for a bit on the 360).  In a private game with friends it was quite good fun.  Starting to show its age.  And that was the PS4 version.  Just running missions at the moment and trying to make sense of the fucking awful menu system.

Inked.  Stylish isometric puzzler that makes up for its slow gameplay with some lovely visuals.  Refreshingly short too.  If it was any longer it'd be dull.  Worth it for the eye candy and the mopey story.

Uncharted.  The first one.  I'd never bothered before.  Quite enjoyed it.  I was led to believe the gunplay in it was dreadful but it was okay.  It felt so much like a game that it kind of gave me Resident Evil 4 flashbacks.  Liked it.  Started the 2nd one too.  Enjoying the stealth.

Also;

Embr - fun firefighting game with mad physics. Bit of a party game. Reminded me of Overcooked but first-person and entirely different.

G-Darius HD and Crisis Wing - a couple of difficult shoot 'em ups that play okay but ultimately frustrate.

Skeletal Avenger - the new game by 10Tons, who made Jydge, Neonchrome and the Tesla vs. Lovecraft games.  Not up to their usual excellent standards but decent hack and slash rogue-like fun all the same.

I think I'm done with Aliens: Fireteam.  It was enjoyable and I've been through it a few times but it is a bit samey and lacking in content so I think I'm done.  The DLC roadmap only mentions new classes and gear.  Which I couldn't care less about.

I also played King's Bounty 2, the true sequel to my favourite ever game.  Didn't like it AT ALL.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: repoman on 29 September, 2021, 12:04:54 PM
I also played King's Bounty 2, the true sequel to my favourite ever game.  Didn't like it AT ALL.

Oh no! I love Kings Bounty and was thinking about getting this. It's no good then?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have invested in FIFA 22. I will be playing this until 2023.
Lock up your spoons!

repoman

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 29 September, 2021, 12:07:30 PM
Quote from: repoman on 29 September, 2021, 12:04:54 PM

Oh no! I love Kings Bounty and was thinking about getting this. It's no good then?

Not very good, no.  The thing I love about the original is that all the info you need is right there.  You know what unit is selected, how they move, what their offensive capabilities are.  You know if they'll survive the battle.

In KB2 it's just a big mess.  Obviously it's all in a 3D engine now so it's not got the clear look of the original.  But also every unit just has a lot of stats, so it's hard to really judge what your capabilities are.

The graphics are shocking.  Like an average PS3 game.  The last thing I played that was this ugly on a technical level was maybe Two Worlds.  It has that feel.  It's a shame because the environments are actually very nice but the character models are awful.

The voice acting hurts.  Your character has two speeds:  slow or very slow (yes, there's a button to make you walk slower for some sick reason).  Navigating the world is horrible and actually the battles are usually pretty devastating, meaning that even if you win, the cost to you and your army is high.

I've completed the original KB more times than I can remember but I didn't get more than halfway through KB2 before realising that life is too precious to play this shit.

Barrington Boots

That's a damning review, sounds a lot more Murray the Miser than Magus Deathspell. As someone who obviously loves the original your words carry serious weight so I'll definitely be avoiding the new one. Thanks - and sorry it sucked!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

repoman

Yep, off to Castle Wankelfort with this one!

pictsy

I've been playing Oddworld - Abe's Odyssey.  I'm enjoying it so far.  It looks really good.  Never played it when it came out, haven't played the remaster or remake or whatever it is.  Played a number of years ago, but didn't get very far.  I might complete, I might not, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for as long as I do play it.

I played some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.  I'm not very good at that game, but it's still fun until I find my lack of skills halt my progress.  I'm sure if I was to learn how the combo system actually worked I'd do better, but I don't want to put that kind of effort in right now.

I also had a quick go of Time Bokan Series: Bokan to Ippatsu! Doronbo.  I have a lot of weird Roms I haven't looked at in over half a decade.  This is a shmup based on the Yatterman series.  It is great fun.

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 30 September, 2021, 08:33:46 PMI'm sure if I was to learn how the combo system actually worked I'd do better, but I don't want to put that kind of effort in right now.

There's not much to it really.  The main thing is if all four wheels are on the ground, your combo is over.

So from leaving the ground you just need to cram in as many tricks as possible (usually flip tricks with the square button as they are quickest) or hold grabs (circle button) for as long as possible. 

At some point you need to land though so you either have to revert (can't remember the button) and then manual (wheelie) away or land on a grindy rail.

I think that's pretty much it.  You need good stats for speed, ollie and air to really do this well.

pictsy

Nothing to it :P

Yes, learning how to do all that was what I referring to.  Maybe one day I'll put the time in, but it's not any day soon.

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 30 September, 2021, 08:33:46 PM
I've been playing Oddworld - Abe's Odyssey.  I'm enjoying it so far.  It looks really good.  Never played it when it came out, haven't played the remaster or remake or whatever it is.  Played a number of years ago, but didn't get very far.  I might complete, I might not, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for as long as I do play it.

I played a bit of the remaster on my PS5 recently as it was just sitting there in my library (had previously purchased the game on PSN, but had no recollection of doing so).
I found it a bit frustrating after about an hour or so - don't know if I have the patience to continue with it.

I also purchased the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm re-mastered trilogy on the switch for peanuts.
Enjoying part 1 so far, but I am crap at the fight sequences.

I, Cosh

Quote from: pictsy on 30 September, 2021, 08:33:46 PM
I played some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.
Reckon I've played THPS2 more than any other game ever made. With the possible exception of WipeOut 2097. I've never been able to get the ridiculous combo scores into the millions but the general trick is to find a line that you can repeat indefinitely with at least one part where you can pick up speed again. If in doubt, cramming in as many extra grind and flatland tricks at the end to bump up the multiplier always helps.

Went back to Super Mario Odyssey recently after getting frustrated with it the first time round. Still think there's something a little bit off about it (mostly I just hate the little bit of inertia that stops Mario running at full speed from the off) that prevents it being a classic but there are so many fantastic, imaginitive little sub-levels in it that I can forgive some of the more repetitive tasks. Took a bit of bloody mindedness but I managed to get all the moons this time.

Currently back into Horizon Zero Dawn. Played about half of it before and really enjoyed it but just stopped for some reason I don't recall. Think I'm almost back at the same point now and I realise that the robot dinosaurs get a lot tougher once you get to the desert. Unusually, I'm quite engaged with the story (big fan of post-technological or mixed science/magic settings) and it's a beautiful world to run around in. I'm generally 100% against 100% realism in 100% of games so their fantasy version of dawn sunlight in the mountains does something special.
We never really die.