Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I found Super Mario Bros boring even at the time so you aren't really making any headway with that example.

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2013, 03:36:55 PMI just don't like it when they are overbearing and intrude on gameplay.

This is bad game design rather than bad storytelling, and not all games suffer from it.

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 June, 2013, 03:06:30 PMAnyone care to suggest some good games?

Also, wasn't there some suggestion of reading comics on a PSP, or did I dream it?

Comics were largely abandoned on the PSP because you needed to filter them through reading software to get around the small screen, and that meant a high cost for a limited amount of product (support was not extensive).  If you're interested in buying something to use as a reader and your eyes are okay, anything starting with a 7 inch screen is fine.  I used an Android-based tablet that cost about 30 quid for reading comics and it was grand despite being useless for almost anything else (the battery life on cheaper tablets is usually gash and you'll only get about 2-4 hours out of them).  Look around Amazon and you'll find cheap-ass machines run up from spare parts in some Chinese bedroom - you won't get Castleville running on it, but if the screen works it's good to go for comics.

The PSP is not actually that advanced so games weren't particularly memorable - and those that were ended up getting a port over to the PS2 (which is where I preferred to play the "Stories" series of GTA games), or even the PS3 as part of "HD updated" collections - so I would consider downgrading your PSP's firmware so you can run emulators on it.  I have C64, ZX Spectrum, GBA, PC, SNES and Megadrive emulators running on mine and got more out of those than I did official games.  Nintendo couldn't give a monkeys about emulation so you can get pretty much any game ever released for their handheld machines off the web, even licenced stuff like Harry Potter, Batman Begins and Scooby Doo, though I pretty much just played Advance Wars 2 and Metroid 0 (though I already had those on GBA anyway).  If you do go this route, make sure to get a decent-sized memory card to store all your roms.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with GTA (Liberty City and Vice City Stories) or Metal Gear Portable Ops, but the games are so dirt cheap for it now (anything over a fiver is scandalous) you can afford to take a gamble on pretty much anything.  I usually just type the name of a game into Youtube and see what it looks like running if I'm on the fence about something.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 June, 2013, 03:06:30 PM
Don't often visit this thread, because the most up-to-date gaming platform I have access to is the Wii, but I took a punt on a PSP at a sale of work (for a fiver!), and aside from the box being battered to buggery inside it turned out to be brand new and unopened 1003 model, with all the trimmings, still in sealed baggies.   

I'm half considering eBaying it in this condition, but lacking a smartphone or tablet, I do rather fancy a handheld of one's own. 

Anyone care to suggest some good games?  The internet has so far shown me little that took my fancy, and I think the last time I asked the Hive Mind it suggested Advance Wars for the DS for which I am eternally grateful. 

I suppose RPG, strategy and puzzle are my fave genres, lacking as I do any perceptible form of hand-eye co-ordination. Basically nothing that involves controlled braking or ledges. 

Also, wasn't there some suggestion of reading comics on a PSP, or did I dream it?

Cheers.

Hey Tordel, while I don't use it much now, I loved the PSP once upon a time. My fave games for it;

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (an amazing 'proper' MGS...very addictive. Probably the best ever PSP game).
GTA: Liberty City Stores & GTA: Vice City Stories (exactly what you expect, with an amazing 80's soundtrack on VCS).
God of War: Chains of Olympus & God of War: Ghost of Sparta (great additions to the GoW canon, can hold their own against the PS2 games).
Silent Hill Origins (play in the dark wearing headphones!)

Regarding digital comics; the PSP did offer this service previously (with a nice guided view feature too), and I bought a ton of them (prior to switching to Comixology on iPad / Nexus).
Seems the rest of the world switched too though, as they went the way of the dodo last year. I still have all the ones I bought saved on a memory stick though.

Also worth noting that a lot of (standard PSP and external dev) games are available to download via PS Store, including the usual likes of Angry Birds etc.
And its got a basic but serviceable web browser function too.
Isn't a bad bit o' kit at all.

optimusjamie

Been playing Fallout: New Vegas recently. I've got the Ultimate Edition on Steam.
It's a lot of fun, especially playing a mostly-good character. I tried to play an evil dude, but it just wasn't for me.
May I make a suggestion for people who get it: Get some mods. Project: Nevada is a must. Optional addons for that can mix it up even further. Graphics mods can be pretty cool, but the PC I'm using right now probably couldn't handle them.

Ghost MacRoth

FONV is one of the best FPS' around, without a shadow of a doubt.  Cracking game, loved it all, bar the add on that was like taking on an indian tribe, too damn easy.  Otherwise, just epic all round!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

TordelBack

Thanks Prof and Link, that's plenty to work with!  I wasn't aware you could get stuff off the PS store for it, that's cool.  Maybe someone in my family will finally play Angry Birds so!

Professor Bear

I'm not sure how the downloading from the PS Store works with the now-outdated PSP, but last time I used it, you had to download via your PS3, then hook your PSP up to that and transfer to the latter from the former.  Although if Angry Birds is your main goal, I think that's still bundled on almost every Android tablet out there, and free to download for the PS3.  As ever, I recommend newcomers to PSN to seek out acquaintances with an account they haven't added to another machine and convincing them to let you add their profile to your console - you immediately have access to everything they've ever downloaded even if it's been discontinued from the store, and if you've just bought one of the 500gb consoles, that's literally hundreds of free games, as Sony give away full-price games regularly to PSN subscribers.

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 17 June, 2013, 10:58:50 PM
FONV is one of the best FPS' around, without a shadow of a doubt.  Cracking game, loved it all, bar the add on that was like taking on an indian tribe, too damn easy.  Otherwise, just epic all round!

Honest Hearts was my favorite of the DLC - the game finally delivered on the cowboys/post-nuclear premise and added some rainy weather to boot.  You can sail through it in about 90 minutes, or you can go exploring around the canyons and find odd jobs to do for the inhabitants or just go looking for the clues to the life of the Father In The Cave as he watched over the Vault 22 kids while they grew up to be the Sorrows tribe.  Great stuff.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 17 June, 2013, 10:58:50 PM

Mods can make a real difference. The version of Skyrim I am playing has been substantially altered, but with a lot of minor improvements.
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

I looked into putting some emulators on my PSP but it looked really complicated so I didn't bother.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 June, 2013, 01:28:10 AM
I'm not sure how the downloading from the PS Store works with the now-outdated PSP, but last time I used it, you had to download via your PS3, then hook your PSP up to that and transfer to the latter from the former. 

I have the same PSP version as you Tordel- you don't need to connect to a PS3 with it, you can download directly from the PS Store.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 June, 2013, 01:28:10 AM

Honest Hearts was my favorite of the DLC - the game finally delivered on the cowboys/post-nuclear premise and added some rainy weather to boot.  You can sail through it in about 90 minutes, or you can go exploring around the canyons and find odd jobs to do for the inhabitants or just go looking for the clues to the life of the Father In The Cave as he watched over the Vault 22 kids while they grew up to be the Sorrows tribe.  Great stuff.

I loved 'Honest Hearts' too, but 'Old World Blues' was the highlight DLC for me- very, very funny & entertaining.

One of the few PS3 game I have 100% trophy completion, and that'll tell ya how much of a devout fan I was.

Dr Feeley Good

Playing the Last Of Us on the ps3 at the minute,  absolutely love it !

Professor Bear

Crysis 2 - I am sure I am probably imagining that this is very disappointing.  From little niggles like the Predator vision that drains your energy much faster than turning invisible does - thus robbing you of the fun of being the Predator - to things like the game loading new areas every 30 seconds because you can now just run from point A to point B, which you'll likely do as playing as the Predator isn't as much fun as it was in the first game.  The game also stops you constantly and you can't move or control your character or skip the cut scenes that are going on while your nanosuit gives you a lecture on the control system in what sounds like one of the kids off of Outnumbered doing a Batman voice, and worst of all the pacing and direction of the cutscenes is bloody terrible so they just feel like a total drag.
There's also some thing with the tips of your fingers being some kind of perks/suit mod that as far I can tell is utterly useless but the game makes you do it anyway even if you haven't a baldy what's going on.  I got to some bit where you have to shoot a helicopter a million times and even though the strategy is pretty straightforward and I can probably manage to kill it if I load it up again, I probably won't because, thinking back, the reason I died was because I got impatient waiting for the helicopter to die, and the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that rather than impatient, I was just bored.  This is a boring game and I probably won't play it again.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - I am not saying this is a boring game, but the reason I stopped playing was because I fell asleep.  It's got some really rough edges, particularly the appalling voice acting, but I do like the look of Holmes as a mix of Peter Cushing and Jeremy Brett, and the puzzles are generally fun and the game throws cheevos at you regularly so I'll probably give it another whirl when I'm trying to relax and/or nod off.  Basically an upmarket point and click game, though.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm at the end game stage of GTA: San Andreas. Los Santos has gone crazy with rioting, I've been taking back territory for the GSF, reached 95% control of all gang territory, and it looks like the game has glitched the fuck out. I have driven the Ballas back to a small corner on the north-east side and now there's no sign of them. No matter how long I spend in their territory, I can't find any punk-ass rival gang members to kill and spark a turf war. It's probably been a while since anyone else has played this, but do you remember this being a problem. I never got this far when I played originally, but that was my own fault. I remember looking up the cheats to see if their was any way of covering the whole map in gangland territory and found there was a glitch you could exploit (you hop in a jet-plane, fly out in one direction and leave it overnight. The further away from the map you go, the smaller the map gets, but the gang-areas stay the same size, thus covering the whole map), so taking over the requisite number of territory to trigger the final mission became virtually impossible.

Other than that, I have thoroughly enjoyed this replay, the game still stands up as my favourite in the series. At the time it was such a huge leap forward from Vice City.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

I found the dour GTA4 to be a step down from San Andreas to the point it rather turned me off.  An impressive game to be sure, but still a step down from the ambition and scale of what preceded it.

I had the same problem you do back in the day on PS2, but it was because of the tiny, tiny sliver of territory featuring that U-shaped motel just south of what used to be Los Santos Vatos territory, as I left it 'till last and it was too tiny for new gang members to spawn in it, so I had to wait way the hell back inside the middle area of the motel until some gang members finally walked past when the game cycled new pedestrians in and out - though unless there was at least three of them to kill, a gang war wouldn't start.  There's also a hard-to-spot Ballas area under the Vinewood sign where the colour might make it a bit hard to see it on the map depending on your telly's picture - otherwise, if there aren't any gang members to be found and none of your territories come under attack, it's because you've completely wiped out the enemy gangs.  The last percentage you're after may be story-related.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Damn, I hadn't even spotted that wee tiny sliver in Vinewood. But yeah, that Motel has been the source of my woes. I'll finish the last story mission and see if I have any better luck.
You may quote me on that.