Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 January, 2014, 07:33:08 AM
Skyrim. Still. Since June.

Skyrim is great fun, but I stopped playing a few months back.  I have found that I can dip back in easy enough as it keeps a record of where I am at and what I am up to.  Will have to remember to copy my saved files when I finally get around to sorting out my computers new hard drive.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2014, 01:13:46 PM
QuoteIt actually plays superbly well on the 3DS

I'm sure it does, but it is a very old game, and I'm worried I might find my patience running a bit thin with it.

I really, really wish Nintendo would get off their arse and make the SNES and Game Boy Advance back catalogues available on the 3DS eshop. It seems like we're inching slightly closer, what with Mario Bros. 3 and some Mega Drive titles becoming available. And yeah, I'm aware of emulators and PSP etc, but I'd really love to be able to play them on my 3DS. I've bought a couple of NES games, but - whisper it - I find NES games a bit rough to play nowadays, as most of them are spitefully hard, and quite ugly.

I had Ocarina on the 3DS and, while it's a really good conversion, I got a bit fed up with it. It's probably (sacrilege) my least favourite Zelda - I just find it slow and fiddly. 3d cameras have come a long way since the N64 and I found the fight with the Octopus needlessly difficult because Link and the enemy are constantly being obscured by the scenery.
I believe Link's Awakening DX is available on the eShop and that's a great game - one of my faves.

radiator

Quote from: Goaty on 10 January, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Well there's some good games on iPad... just say  :-\

iOS touch devices are completely useless for action games*, that's why I bought a 3ds.

*that are fun for more than five minutes.

GrinningChimera

Sim City 4

I got home at 1pm yesterday and started playing this. Next thing I know it's 7:45pm. And the only reason I stopped is because my stomach was rumbling cus I was hungry. It really is a great same.

CrazyFoxMachine

Terraria

I bloody love it - especially the multiplayer which is damned fun.

CheechFU

Spec Ops: The Line
it was all like "hey I'm just a generic run and gun shooter" and then it got all  :o  shit just got real :o

Ancient Otter

Played Twilight Struggle board game* for the first time, played as the USA and lost the Cold War.....

*Perhaps we should start a boardgame thread?

Bobblehead

Quote from: CheechFU on 11 January, 2014, 07:37:40 PM
it was all like "hey I'm just a generic run and gun shooter" and then it got all  :o  shit just got real :o

Haha yeah i know what you mean. Apart from the clunky and sometimes unresponsive controls i found it to be am enjoyable little game with some great action set pieces,but the story is what interested me the most. I dont want to ruin anything but there was a few 'wtf' moments in it,especially the ending. Played it through twice for the different choices you make and to see both endings. One of the few games ive 100% would recommend getting it,its quite cheap now too.

On topic im actually playing The Sabateur at the moment. Its a sandbox GTA style game set in France at the early days of WW2. Im enjoying it,theyve managed to nail the vintage feel of the era and im liking the art direction of the game. If youve not liberated an area from the nazis then its in black and white,makes it feel really grim and oppressed,with the red on the swatstika being the only colour. Do a few missions for people and the area bursts into colour. Nicely done. Im finding the game pretty difficult though,but enjoyably so :)

JamesC

Quote from: CheechFU on 11 January, 2014, 07:37:40 PM

One of my favourite games of the last few years.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 4 for the last month or so. I'm at about 43% completion but I still feel as though I've only scratched the surface - its a huge and fantastic game. There's DLC once I've completed the main game too!

Keef Monkey

Played through Ryse: Son Of Rome at the weekend and while the gameplay is pretty shallow (it's a linear melee fighter with it's own take on the Arkham combat which never quite clicks or flows to that degree), the presentation is some of the best I've seen in a game. The facial animations are easily the best I've ever seen, and the mocap and performances are just fantastic (saying that some transitions between in-game animations are a bit janky and for some unknown reasons breasts have a mind of their own and bounce and swing around independent of any understandable physics, a shame when everything else is so well done).

Also, and this really surprised me, the story is brilliant. A massive epic full of amazing set-pieces and great characters and all the backdrop and surrounding stuff has such a great sense of scale that even the fairly simple combat can feel quite thrilling at times because of all the spectacle that's going on.

That last game I played that was similarly skewed (not so keen on the gameplay but loved the presentation/writing/character work) was The Last Of Us, and I know I'll get shot down for this in many quarters but I think Ryse does all that stuff at least as well as that. In truth I enjoyed the story in Ryse more, and while the gameplay is pretty bland I didn't actively dislike it as much as the gameplay in TLoU.

Being the kind of game it is it's unlikely to get the same kind of recognition as TLoU (in the same way genre cinema isn't seen as being as worthy when awards season comes around), so feel a bit like I need to shout about it's good aspects to anyone who'll listen so it gets its due!

Devons Daddy

Assisans creed 4
Damn fine!! 

Rock star we need a pirate game akin to red dead! Please
We will once again throw our groats at you  :)

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Theblazeuk

Xcom: Enemy Within.

My team of supersoldiers is finally equipped on an almost level playing field with the alien menace. Backed by a world fleet of newly developed spacecraft interceptors, these half-human warriors keep the world safe and have suffered only the lightest of casualties where many of their unaugmented brethren have fallen. Alien attacks are turned back whenever they land and though many die in each terror attack, they are pushed off this green Earth and each death is paid for in green blood.

However the men and women of Alpha squad did not know what they were getting into when they breached the Overseer's crashed ship. Initial resistance was light but enemy reinforcements were waiting in ambush behind the smoking remains of the UFO. Two giant robots with a small swarm of sentinel drones swept in from the flanks and blew Maj. 'Shock' Hauffman to a bloody smear before she could pull back. A barrage of rockets blew the landscape to pieces around the robot menace but they strode through the smoke undaunted, wounding colonel 'Werewolf' Anderson. Finally a lucky shot from sniper 'Ghost' Ito took them down, the metal plates buckling under plasma fire and erupting in a mighty explosion as their engines went critical. Unfortunately this explosion tore down the last remaining wall of the UFO and revealed the bridge room - where the Alien overseer turned its dread gaze upon the remaining men and women, seizing hold of Captain 'Boomer' Thorson's fragile mind and turning his heavy cannon upon plucky medic 'Thunder' Bradley, blowing her to pieces.

'Ghost' and remaining soldier 'Striker' Jang opened fire on the frail figure of the Overseer but a hidden force turned away most of their shots. The creature drifted out of sight with a contemptuous shrug, certain that this inconvenience would soon be over. This left the men and women of X-Com to cower beneath the heavy firepower of their enslaved comrade once more - and to face the weapons of the three heavy shocktroops that burst out of the treeline behind them.

Code black. Team down.

Krakajac

Slowly delving into the world of Rocksmith 2014.

I had some very basic classical guitar lessons when I was a young'un - but other than that, I haven't touched a guitar in about 30 years.  Bought a cheapish electric guitar and am working my way through the lessons/songs.

I'm having a blast and the game is doing exactly what it says on the packet - teaching me (slowly) how to play electric guitar.  50 songs come with the basic package, and I think there are about 150 or so songs that can be downloaded via Steam.  I downloaded 'Some Might Say' by Oasis tonight - $2.99.

Some songs are easy - 'Blitzkrieg Bop' by The Ramones only has four chords, so I've mastered that one already.  Other songs are extremely difficult.  'Every Breath You Take' by The Police requires the hands of an octopus!

Keef Monkey

Picked that up too! I've been playing guitar in bands for years, but being self-taught has really limited me, have always just played by ear or feel more or less so I feel like there's a ton I want to do with a guitar but just can't. Figured this would be a good way of getting back to basics and properly learning how to play correctly.

Only had one session on it and it seems brilliant, the way you can loop a passage and 'level up' adding more notes to it as you get the hang of it is fantastic, and I love that it recognizes areas you struggled with and highlights lessons that'll help. A really good learning tool and a cool way to practice too.

I do have a bit of a problem just now in that my 'good' guitar is at the rehearsal room and the backup that I have at home has a few dodgy buzzy dead frets higher up the neck, which the software doesn't seem to be able to recognize (I have frets on there that literally make no sound, so can't really blame Rocksmith!), really looking forward to getting my decent guitar home to get stuck in properly.

GrinningChimera

If you want to learn an easy song that will make you appear like a rock god to your friend and family, download Breaking The Law - Judas Priest. Takes bugger all time to learn and sounds properly good.

I'm stuck on Free Bird. Can't seem to nail that solo section...