Main Menu

Essential Judge Dredd Sale

Started by Robin Low, 06 January, 2022, 08:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

[Forget this - just read the contents and saw it isn't the whole America series]

Until I recently saw a copy of the The Apocalypse War, I didn't realise the Essential series was in a large format. So I'm slightly tempted.

However, before I buy yet another version, does the Essential America fix the missing speech bubble in America 2?

Regards,

Robin

broodblik

The Essential Dredd America does not contain America 2 only the first series
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Stories include:
- Letter From a Democrat (Prog 460)
- Revolution (Prog 531-533)
- Politics (Prog 656)
- America (Meg 1.01-1.07)
- The Devil You Know (Prog 750-753)
- Twilight's Last Gleaming (Prog 754-756)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Robin Low

Quote from: broodblik on 06 January, 2022, 08:51:01 AM
The Essential Dredd America does not contain America 2 only the first series

Thanks - it didn't occur to me that it would be packaged with some very tenuously related stories instead of the three series that tell a complete story with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

The other stories do form part of a storyline, but even they need A Letter to Judge Dredd, Tale of the Dead Man, and Nightmares to round it out. But that Democracy story arc is not really part of the America story.

I've bought a lot of reprints over the years, with a lot of duplication, but I would do it again to have the major epics in the large hardback format on non-glossy paper. Happy with it in black and white, don't mind if it's recoloured.

Regards,

Robin

IndigoPrime

I assume you're aware of this, but just in case you're not: Essentials isn't HC.

And I'm Team Hardcover as well. I find it disappointing that, for whatever reason, the market just isn't there for 2000 AD. I look at my Image collection and wish 2000 AD could do something similar for key series and story arcs. But that even The Out—easily the best new strip of the past few years—isn't slated for a webshop HC (let alone a widespread one) should be an indication of how much of a tough sell that format can be for 2000 AD content.

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 January, 2022, 12:12:01 PM
I assume you're aware of this, but just in case you're not: Essentials isn't HC.

I was, but thanks nonetheless.

QuoteAnd I'm Team Hardcover as well. I find it disappointing that, for whatever reason, the market just isn't there for 2000 AD. I look at my Image collection and wish 2000 AD could do something similar for key series and story arcs. But that even The Out—easily the best new strip of the past few years—isn't slated for a webshop HC (let alone a widespread one) should be an indication of how much of a tough sell that format can be for 2000 AD content.

It is a great shame, especially as there seems to be a market for the Treasury stuff. The problem for Dredd (which the Treasury stuff doesn't have) is that it's been reprinted and repackaged so many times a significant part of the potential market already has the stuff. Only obsessives like myself want it again, and we want it our way (like me and the America stuff).

The Out's problem may be that it's simply too recent - the hardback stuff that apparently sells has the weight of history and memory behind it, and it's not easy to source in any other way.

Regards,

Robin

broodblik

If you are obsessive then you must get the Essential Judge Dredd: The Apocalypse War one since it is fully colored and the coloring is excellent and do add value. 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Robin Low on 06 January, 2022, 12:54:06 PMThe Out's problem may be that it's simply too recent - the hardback stuff that apparently sells has the weight of history and memory behind it, and it's not easy to source in any other way.
Honestly, I'm a little surprised it hasn't got a webshop-exclusive HC. If Hershey and Full Tilt Boogie got one, objectively one of the finest modern series 2000 AD has run missing out seems harsh, but it is what it is.

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 January, 2022, 01:25:25 PM
Honestly, I'm a little surprised it hasn't got a webshop-exclusive HC. If Hershey and Full Tilt Boogie got one, objectively one of the finest modern series 2000 AD has run missing out seems harsh, but it is what it is.

I think you have a valid point there... and I haven't even read The Out.

Regards,

Robin

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 January, 2022, 01:25:25 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 06 January, 2022, 12:54:06 PMThe Out's problem may be that it's simply too recent - the hardback stuff that apparently sells has the weight of history and memory behind it, and it's not easy to source in any other way.

Oh and the other point I was wondering is do both Full Tilt and Hershey have more recognisable names attached? Seems odd to say that with Dabnett on The Out (and Lawless) - but maybe he's not a big a draw to pull the higher ticket formats - given the quality of his output seems madness to say that but maybe?

Colin YNWA

Seem to have overwritten my initial point which was...

I and others have said before and will no doubt say again the exact same could be said of Lawless. Mind the inner circles of Rebellion will have a much clear view of the reasons behind this....

... though what did i just say in that thread about going Digital... about saving space and that...

Robin Low

Quote from: broodblik on 06 January, 2022, 01:07:06 PM
If you are obsessive then you must get the Essential Judge Dredd: The Apocalypse War one since it is fully colored and the coloring is excellent and do add value.

I find my own attitude to that mildly interesting. There's part of me that says, nope, original original black and white please (colour centrespreads are fine)... then remembering that my first exposure to a lot of classic Dredd was in the American format full-colour Eagle comics.

Oh, will the comics obsessive ever be satisfied?

Regards,

Robin