Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 November, 2019, 12:29:27 PM
Corbyn has been the victim of one of the worst media campaigns against him than any leader of the opposition that has come before.

Pretty well co-ordinated, I thought ;)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 November, 2019, 11:59:05 AM
So, Jeremy Corbyn held a press conference revealing 400 pages of unredacted documents exposing the NHS is on the table in US trade talks.
I think that the first few questions from journalists were all BUT WHAT ABOUT APOLOGISING FOR ANTISEMITISM sums up the level of coverage this will receive. I hope I'm wrong.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 November, 2019, 01:54:02 PM
I think that the first few questions from journalists were all BUT WHAT ABOUT APOLOGISING FOR ANTISEMITISM sums up the level of coverage this will receive. I hope I'm wrong.

Sayeeda Varsi on R4's World At One to talk about Islamophobia in the Conservative Party. Second question: "How does this compare to the Labour antisemitism scandal?"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 November, 2019, 11:59:05 AM
So, Jeremy Corbyn held a press conference revealing 400 pages of unredacted documents exposing the NHS is on the table in US trade talks.

Discuss.

I love that the immediate comeback from journalists was to dismiss it on the basis that "we knew about this a month ago."  I also love that the morning they thought would be spent with Labour on the defensive against one of their narrative constructs was instead spent by the media on the defensive against a general public who wanted to know why they'd sat on this.  LOL talk about reaping the whirlwind.

Hey, you ever notice there's only like six Dr Who episodes a year and wonder "where does my dang licence fee go?"

Professor Bear

CalHab

M.I.K.

Me in 2016...
Quote from: M.I.K. on 09 March, 2016, 02:41:52 PM
if Britain left the EU, there probably wouldn't be the same requirements to label stuff properly and I wouldn't know if certain foodstuffs, (such as the American macaroni and cheese I bought from a Poundland a couple of years ago with a sticker slapped on it), have tartrazine in them and tartrazine makes me go all wheezy.

Stuff happening now...
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/corbyn-us-document-more-than-nhs-to-worry-about/

Steve Green

Quote from: Frank on 26 November, 2019, 09:31:03 PM

Neil's got Johnson on tomorrow. The poor twat must be absolutely shitting himself.

Tough interrogation on policy or fucking around with scones... hmm.

Funt Solo

Very frustrated with C4 News for continuing to ask the same ridiculous question over and over again: basically "The Chief Rabbi said Corbyn was anti-Semitic. How can you continue to support Corbyn?"

It's like saying "Puff the Magic Dragon said Corbyn was bad. How can you continue to support Corbyn?"

Nobody has the balls to suggest that none of us should be listening to the judgement of self-serving fantasists, whatever their particular stripe of bullshit. Not the Chief Rabbi, or any of the various Popes (however entertaining the teachings of Eris), or Ayatollahs, or Archbishops.

Nobody asked that question even has the balls to question the motives of the local Mouth of Yahweh. It's all made up!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well, the recent polls suggest a Conservative win. I'd put a big emphasis on the 'Con' there. So, folks, Rexit will be happening, and that isn't so good for several Industries. On a happier note, I read that over 2 million had signed up to vote many of them under 35. Will we have a 'Youthquake' surprise on Polling day?

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/polls/general-election
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

One can but hope. Nearly three million was the figure I last saw (2.8m) and that was a while back. Here's hoping they're mainly progressives and willing to hold their noses and vote tactically.

Steve Green

My constituency (Wimbledon) is one of those seats that the LibDems are heavily pushing the 'only we can beat the Tories' line.

They've finished third in past elections - 14% of the vote last time.

I expect Hammond will retain his seat.

IndigoPrime

Traditionally a Con/Lab marginal, but with a big LD voting pool. That said, the recent constituency polling had Con 38, LD 36, Lab 23. On that basis, given usual margin of error caveats, that one actually is seemingly winnable by the Lib Dems. (Same also for Kensington. I suspect Finchley is well out of reach though.)

Professor Bear

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 November, 2019, 10:46:36 AMOn a happier note, I read that over 2 million had signed up to vote many of them under 35. Will we have a 'Youthquake' surprise on Polling day?

To be fair, it's only been two years since the last election and a lot of new voters likely just didn't see a need to register in any hurry.  Instead of a surge of support for any one party, this might just as easily be seen as a logjam of last-minute registrations.  The youth vote could go anywhere - in recent years before the tuition fee fiasco, it went to the LibDems, and a half-flippant case can be made that enough young voters now don't even consider university as a possibility so might not hold that against the party anymore, in the same way Labour voters are (kind of) over Iraq.

A factor also has to be Tory voters who turn up out of nowhere - I think I read somewhere that Theresa May managed to get more votes than Thatcher in '87 when something like three million extra voters turned out for the Tories in 2017, and the "shy Tory" effect was well-documented in the surprise majority win for the Conservatives in 2015.  Maybe this time around another extra couple of million Tory voters will just turn up.

Proudhuff

I see the Tory's are doing the old 'its too close to call' rouse they use every election, but hey it works  :( 
Do you think if Nicola asked nicely Mr Trump would sponsor us rebuild Hadrian's wall?
DDT did a job on me