Main Menu

Prog 1926 - April Fuel Shot of Rocket Glass

Started by Frank, 01 April, 2015, 05:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Cover: Nice to see Bill Sienkiewicz back on the character. Sienkiewicz is undoubtedly a genius, but Dredd's helmet is all wrong, the image is too static, and Vienna's claw covers up the logo.

Dredd: Who would have thought this would happen? I can't see any plausible way out of this for Old Joe, and I genuinely feel this is finally the moment the character will be killed off and replaced with a clone (Rico 2?). Henry Flint's art is superb, and Rob Williams is now firmly installed as the third place Dredd writer of choice.

Sláine: I used to love Sláine back in the day, but Mills has ruined it by battering the reader over the head with crowbarred political messages which burgle dialogue of credibility. It's in no way hyperbolic to say I'm the victim of a crime perpetrated by Mills; ruining my childhood memories of Sláine basically makes him a paedophile. SB Davis's superb painted art means the strip has never looked better!

Strontium Dog: Bringing the character back from the dead was a mistake, although the stories set before his death lacked dramatic tension because we knew Johnny couldn't die. Killing Johnny was a mistake - he should go back in time and prevent his original death, to correct the mistake of killing him. Knowing he wasn't going to die in future strips wouldn't be a problem, because this time it would be different.

I didn't bother reading Grey Area or Orlok, since they do nothing for me. Maybe they'll read better in trade collections. What Tharg needs to do is stop rehashing old ideas like Orlok and concentrate on new ideas. But the new ideas shouldn't be like Grey Area.

Rogue Trooper: Letting Neil Gaiman bring his dark vision to the story of a blue soldier and his talking hat was an inspired move, and I feel certain this latest reboot will be the one which finally takes, provided it explains how this Rogue fits into the continuities of all the other versions. With Al Columbia on board as artist, I foresee a long and bright future for this strip. WE'RE LIVING THROUGH A SECOND GOLDEN AGE! 

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Grant Goggans

The Thrill of the Future of "Return to Armageddon" was unexpected.  Especially with Winwood and Cord in the background of the panel.

Montynero

Agreed. Initially Gaiman's decision to have Rogue return to his childhood home in Nu-Sussex sat badly with me. How, I couldn't help wonder, does this fit into Gibbons original vision of blistering future war? But by the time the Traitor General's ambiguously jewish neighbours turned up I warmed to the new direction. Portraying Venus Bluegenes as a gothic bird intent on eating the world into nothingness was a masterstroke. And that cliffhanger, with something dark unleashed, something darker than the universe itself p'raps, had me clawing out my eyes with anticipation for next weeks prog. With Al Columbia rendering Rogue and his digital buddies in teasingly ephemeral tones of endless white , we are literally guaranteed an epic run of searingly intangible visuals.

ZenArcade

Damn right....squaxx can only but wait with bated breath for the excoriating, dark, realistic visuals to be set out by Shaky 2000 in the third and fourth episodes. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead