Main Menu

Interview with former Tharg, Richard Burton (questions needed)

Started by Frank, 09 September, 2016, 09:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

This is your chance to ask the Tharg who doesn't do interviews anything you want to know about his time on the Galaxy's Greatest, first as sub-editor (1980-1984), and again as editor (1987-1993). They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.

Burton poached schoolboy Steve Dillon from Marvel UK and coached Morrison through all 4 phases of Zenith, so whether your question is a nerdish 'whose idea were the Horned God intro pages?' or a controversial 'what on Earth happened to 2000ad in the 90s?', there's plenty to ask him about.

I'll let y'all know the deadline for questions, and I'll post a link to the ECBT site when the podcast goes up online.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 September, 2016, 09:39:25 PM
"Michael Fleischer — why?!"

Haha! I was making notes for questions earlier, and that's exactly what number 9 says.

I suspect the above will provide the template for many questions, certainly those regarding Wireheads, Dead Meat, and Kelly's Eye.

Burton played midwife to Milligan classics Freaks and Shadows, and handed Liam Sharp, Chris Weston, Kev Walker, and Simon Coleby their first proper series, so there's good stuff to ask about as well.

maryanddavid

Dash Decent

What did he think of the robot version of himself they used in the Tharg stories?  Not just the look but Burt's personality.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: maryanddavid on 10 September, 2016, 12:02:02 AM
Leave Kelly's Eye alone!

If only Alan McKenzie had taken the same attitude.

Cheers, Dash! Burt's unusual in that he's the only droid who continued to play a significant role in Tharg strips (and the Nerve Centre/letters page) long after their human counterpart left the comic, so someone must like him.

While the rest of you are busy polishing your questions about the decision to bring back Bad Jack Keller and The Mean Team with Alan Hebden instead of Wagner/Grant*, it's occurred to me that I've buried the lead of this story.

Burton is currently writing a memoir of his time in comics, so whatever questions you pose here will stir long forgotten memories and influence the topics covered in a book that will reveal all concerning the most critical period in 2000ad's history.

* ... and to bring back Henry Moon without The Mean Team but with Hilary Robinson

james newell

Hi, Richard was there then for the amazing deadman & tales of deadman & the crossover into Necropolis, does richard remember how this idea came about?

There was a move over to all colour in this time, how much extra pressure did that put on resources, was it a happy creative choice or a head ake to keep up with toxic or the times?

Johnny Alpha dies! how did the editorial staff, react to this when scripted, was their any resistance?

Slaine The Horned God, it was jaw dropping the first time i seen it in the prog, friend of mine that did not evening read comics ware talking about it, did it have a big impact in sales of the prog or was it the graphic novel that was the big success.

The glossy cover from  prog 589 was a beautiful addition to 2000ad that made it stand out from Eagle, Battle, ect. who idea was it and what ware the initial reasons, was their resistance with management over the necessary price hike to maybe pay for it or ware they happy to let editorial carry on with these inventions ?

thanks

Frank

Thanks very much, James - that's an interview's worth in itself!

I was thinking about The Dead Man/Necropolis too: how far back did they know where all the stuff about Dredd ageing was headed*, and did Wagner just announce he was going to need another story slot in the prog for The Dead Man?

Mention of the move to colour and better paper is interesting too - I definitely think of Burton's reign more in terms of those kinds of changes than new strips or characters.

* It started as far back as Hitman (573), right after Oz, and Bat Mugger (585), with passing remarks about Dredd's reaction speed and the march of time

Dash Decent

Make sure you don't ask him about his marriages to Elizabeth Taylor.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dandontdare

sheridan

The third Tharg to write a book covering the history of 2000AD - how many more to come, I wonder?

AlexF

I'm curious to know how deliberate the decision was to run super grown-up stuff like Shamballa alongside super trendy / pretentious stuff like Hewligan's Haircut alongside pretty child-friendly stuff like Junker.

Was this all commissioned, or was it just coincidence of what the regular contributors just sent in to Tharg?

Also, how much did he shit himself when John Wagner said he wasn't going to write any more Dredd for the Prog?

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 11 September, 2016, 05:54:36 AM
The third Tharg to write a book covering the history of 2000AD - how many more to come, I wonder?

Probably a good time to point out that the book Burton's writing is not (as yet) anything to do with Rebellion.

Burton sees the book as challenging the dominant narrative of the comic's decline then resurrection, so I expect it will double as a biography/apology for his protege, Alan McKenzie (1993-1994), who doesn't seem interested in telling his own story.

McKenzie served part of his Thargship with Burton* still technically in charge, which muddies the waters about whether Tharg Alan was commissioning scripts from Hack Alan, or whether Burton Tharg was making those decisions. Another interesting thing to ask!

* Who was splitting his time between 2000ad and the launch of Sonic The Comic

Colin YNWA

It will certainly be very welcome to gave an alternative perspective shared to address the dominant Millsian history. Something to add to the squobbles. Looking forward to this seeing light of day.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 11 September, 2016, 12:20:27 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 11 September, 2016, 05:54:36 AM

Probably a good time to point out that the book Burton's writing is not (as yet) anything to do with Rebellion.
I did wonder who the publisher was going to be, after Thrill-Power Overload and The Mighty One...

QuoteBurton sees the book as challenging the dominant narrative of the comic's decline then resurrection, so I expect it will double as a biography/apology for his protege, Alan McKenzie (1993-1994), who doesn't seem interested in telling his own story.

McKenzie served part of his Thargship with Burton* still technically in charge, which muddies the waters about whether Tharg Alan was commissioning scripts from Hack Alan, or whether Burton Tharg was making those decisions. Another interesting thing to ask!
What I'd like to know is what rate did McKenzie get paid for Summer Magic - i.e. was it the standard work-for-hire rate, or was it less than that (which would lend credence to his claim that he retains copyright).  Though it seems dodgy that McKenzie appears to have given himself more favourable terms than he did other creators...   Somewhere in there there might be a question, though it might be more for McKenzie than Burton?