Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mikey on 21 November, 2019, 10:27:19 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 November, 2019, 09:17:59 PM
Consensus does ask for faith - a majority of people would be unwise to support something in which they have no faith. Okay, that's just wordplay. Scientfically, consensus does not prove truth - but politically, it does.

Scientific consensus is A Thing. It's slightly different from the general use of consensus - it refers to the process of presenting, discussing and publishing via peer review within the particular field , it's not just a canvassing of general opinion.

I agree. Political consensus, however, is a different thing. It's my hope to divorce one from the other.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Follow the money.

Your conspiracy Geiger counter is correct to be clicking away there, but I reckon you should point it in this direction:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merchants-Doubt-Handful-Scientists-Obscured/dp/1408824833

The Legendary Shark

I'll have to try and get the pdf from Pirate Bay... ;)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mikey

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 November, 2019, 11:34:27 PM
Consensus does ask for faith - a majority of people would be unwise to support something in which they have no faith. Okay, that's just wordplay. Scientfically, consensus does not prove truth - but politically, it does.

Scientific consensus is A Thing. It's slightly different from the general use of consensus - it refers to the process of presenting, discussing and publishing via peer review within the particular field , it's not just a canvassing of general opinion.

I agree. Political consensus, however, is a different thing. It's my hope to divorce one from the other.

You're the one who brings politics into it - so go shout it on the politics thread.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

The Legendary Shark

Okay, Mikey. I'll do my best to keep politics out of the biggest political issue in global politics.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

There will be none of this backchat in the ATOS compulsory work farms, Sharky, so you may as well get it out of your system now.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Mikey

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 November, 2019, 10:00:15 AM

Okay, Mikey. I'll do my best to keep politics out of the biggest political issue in global politics.

All that says to me is you've got nothing on the science, data or its interpretation so you want to talk about your political views. Again.

Meh.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 November, 2019, 11:32:09 PM
I agree that the consensus seems to be that CO2 emissions should be drastically curbed.

...I believe that CO2 is ... a relatively small part, of the overall problem.

You used more words but ultimately you seem to be placing your belief over scientific consensus. Hubris.

If it actually was the case that governments are on board with drastically curbing CO2 emissions, I'd have some sympathy for your perspective. I know some people are trying to monetize the situation (as they do any situation - that CO2 dollar, that's a big dollar), but that doesn't mean they're seriously attempting to fix (or even recognize) the problem, or that the problem isn't real.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

Definitely Not Mister Pops

But...you just tried to conflate them? Or concatenate them? Or convulute everything? I don't fuckin' know, I give up.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 November, 2019, 09:56:24 PM

But...you just tried to conflate them? Or concatenate them? Or convulute everything? I don't fuckin' know, I give up.

I gave up arguing with The Shark about this kind of thing long ago, I'm afraid.  However, I have learned quite a bit from others arguing against him - the sheer scale of scientific consensus on man-made climate change, for example. (I also knew very little about the anti-vaxxer 'argument' before it arose on this board; whereas now I'm sufficiently educated to br convinced that it's dangerous nonsense.)  Sorry, Sharky, but that's the way it is with me. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

While it's tempting to read this thread as Shark vs Rest Of World, the British public are mostly Shark*

* And that's after years of the aforementioned Captain Planet and environmental issues being foregrounded in dumb blockbuster movies of the nineties