Main Menu

Dreddverse Map

Started by Funt Solo, 16 January, 2021, 01:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 January, 2021, 07:50:16 PM
Quantum Wave Theory Time travel wibble-wobble posits that no future is set in stone because that future doesn't actually exist and is merely a possible outcome of all events that are currently in motion, and even if you collapse the waveforms into a singular observable point go into the future, it doesn't mean the future you observe will definitely exist, because once you travel back to the past, the waveforms are un-collapsed everything is in motion again and events can turn out differently.

In other words: Dredd and Anderson went to the City Of The Damned, but that wasn't how their future turned out.

This reminds me of reading New Scientist - where at some point about halfway through the article I realize that I don't understand anything because quantum physics does that to you. So, I really appreciate the translations - I can get behind time-travel wibble-wobble no problem at all.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 January, 2021, 10:56:10 AM
Yes, it just occurred to me too who Funt is.

Back in the days of the olde forum software, you could change your user name at will - so I think I started out as grey_area, then I was "fate amenable to change" (yes, very much a Banks fan, and Excession is the dog's bollocks), and there was even a moment where there was a push for everyone on the board to go by their real names (something to do with putting your money where your mouth was). Then, I changed to Funt Solo in a moment of whimsy - and the software changed and the names were locked in place. I suppose it could be worse...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

alphadogau

I'm a continuity nerd so I love discussion like this  :) and I really appreciate the thought process.
I agree it hard to fit th Mills-verse into this consistently. (Remember when Nemesis' son fed a Judge to Satanus).

Strontium is also super tricky given that Nelson Bunker Kreelman (or at least someone with that name) is now part of continuity...

Should I mention Zombo, Harry Angel and Tharg now being part of the Dredd-verse or is that going too far...?
Are we there yet?

Funt Solo

Quote from: alphadogau on 18 January, 2021, 01:16:23 AM
Should I mention Zombo, Harry Angel and Tharg now being part of the Dredd-verse or is that going too far...?

Well spotted, that Squaxx. I'd forgotten the Zombo / Angel / Dredd crossover.

By the time you follow that back to Armoured Gideon's Book III (The Collector), which also featured Angel, you can also include (at least) the following: Bill Savage, Blackhawk, Sam Slade, Abelard Snazz, Shako, The V.C.s, MACH Zero, Wolfie Smith, Harry Twenty, Nick Stone, Dan Dare, Ace Garp, Matt Tallon, Captain Klep, Agent Rat, Robot Archie and Rick Random.

Oh, and Dredd (or a Judge) also shows up in the third book of Skizz.

Were there any judges at the party in Nikolai Dante's last outing?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

alphadogau

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 January, 2021, 01:40:20 AM
Quote from: alphadogau on 18 January, 2021, 01:16:23 AM

Well spotted, that Squaxx. I'd forgotten the Zombo / Angel / Dredd crossover.

By the time you follow that back to Armoured Gideon's Book III (The Collector), which also featured Angel, you can also include (at least) the following: Bill Savage, Blackhawk, Sam Slade, Abelard Snazz, Shako, The V.C.s, MACH Zero, Wolfie Smith, Harry Twenty, Nick Stone, Dan Dare, Ace Garp, Matt Tallon, Captain Klep, Agent Rat, Robot Archie and Rick Random.

Oh, and Dredd (or a Judge) also shows up in the third book of Skizz.

Were there any judges at the party in Nikolai Dante's last outing?

Yes! There was a Judge(Dredd?) plus Strontium Dog, Halo Jones and Ro-Jaws.

Wasn't there a Dan Dare annual with a Dredd strip where a bunch of character turn up?
Are we there yet?

Funt Solo

Quote from: alphadogau on 18 January, 2021, 04:00:14 AM
Wasn't there a Dan Dare annual with a Dredd strip where a bunch of character turn up?

I bought that annual this summer but hadn't gotten around to reading it - until now. That's entirely wtf ... Pat Mills stars as a disgruntled droid who demands better conditions but ends up getting beaten into submission by all the characters he helped create (who are at a surprise party for Dredd on Luna-1). Not making this up.

Scanner required...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Mmmmmm, maybe they know something then that we did not know today. Some kind of future-vision
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

That's me just seen the map due to the TalkTalk issues

Great map Funt
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

AlexF

Amazing map! A very readable way to catalogue all the Dreddverse strips for sure.
Dare I suggest 'Hershey' gets its own link to Cuba on the map? Obviously most Hershey solo stories have taken place in MC1 but it's always satisfying to get more pins on a world map.

I'm intrigued to notice that Ciudad Barranquila seems to be a Buenos Aires / Montevideo conurbation. Somehow I'd always assumed it was in Mexico. That's the trouble with stories that trade in causal racism - they lack specificty! (No slight to Michael Carroll's current effort, I'm thinking more of the sugar beat)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 January, 2021, 04:39:36 PM

Back in the days of the olde forum software, you could change your user name at will - so I think I started out as grey_area, then I was "fate amenable to change" (yes, very much a Banks fan, and Excession is the dog's bollocks), and there was even a moment where there was a push for everyone on the board to go by their real names (something to do with putting your money where your mouth was). Then, I changed to Funt Solo in a moment of whimsy - and the software changed and the names were locked in place. I suppose it could be worse...

Ah, I wouldn't have got Fate Amenable to Change, but I've read a few Banks novels in the meantime.  Me, I started as Jayzus B.Christ with spaces, and then took them out when I had login problems.  Been here 18 or 19 fecking years, if memory serves.  Definitely would go for a different board name now - I'm far less messianic than I thought I was in my 20s - but I was just too lazy to think of one and then the names were locked in place.  Ah, it'll do.

As for that multi-character Dredd strip - I haven't read it, but I do remember David Bishop absolutely eviscerating it in those in-depth analyses of Dredd strips he used to do in the Megazine.  Bit harsh, I thought, given that it was clearly a whimsical bit of fun aimed at kids and not really part of the Dredd canon.  But while I'm not sure if the art is, to quote our Dave, 'pish', I'm not at all sure about Rodney Bewes playing Johnny Alpha.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Arh Funt Solo I think I forgot to say that is chuffin' genius!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 18 January, 2021, 09:13:03 AM
That's me just seen the map due to the TalkTalk issues

Great map Funt

This seems to be fixed now with any luck - seen it referenced (my me and others) elsewhere so spread the word!

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 January, 2021, 06:03:07 AM
Quote from: alphadogau on 18 January, 2021, 04:00:14 AM

I bought that annual this summer but hadn't gotten around to reading it - until now. That's entirely wtf ... Pat Mills stars as a disgruntled droid who demands better conditions but ends up getting beaten into submission by all the characters he helped create (who are at a surprise party for Dredd on Luna-1). Not making this up.

Scanner required...

Quick roll-call of Starlord and 2000AD characters: Mek-Quake; Hammerstein; Wulf; Johnny; Ardeni; Mr 10%; The Mekon; Starlord; Digby; Tharg; MACH Zero; Walter; Dan Dare; Suzi Cho; Blocker; Ro-Jaws (now idea who that is behind Blocker).

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 January, 2021, 11:22:07 AM
The Fr1day incarnation of Rogue Trooper ends up in MC1 during Casualties of War, which inferred that world was Dredd's future (in much the same way Strontium Dog is Dredd's future). But there are all kinds of slight connections to other strips, some of which are extremely tenuous (such as Robo-Hunter being in Brit-Cit, albeit one significantly different from what we see elsewhere).

I think Fr1day had gone through a space, rather than time warp, though it's been decades since I read that story.

I see the Brit-Cit connection as being in name only (also mode of transport - zoom tube) - in much the same way that a story set in New York needn't be in the same 'universe' as another in a city by the same name.  There's also a map of the Pacific Ocean in a 1983 Sam Slade story which bears no relation to what we've seen in the Dreddverse.  That was old Slade which was set around 2150 or so.