Main Menu

Leigh Gallagher or Greg Staples - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 May, 2021, 06:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

WAYHEY and here we go. The crowd has fallen into an excited silence as the first tie of this new competition gets ready to tee-off. It's redundant to say that we have two big hitters to get us started, as everyone involved in this is a massive talent. What we can do is look at the form.

Greg Staples - to many people's surprise - actually went out in the first round proper of the Favourite Classic Artist tourney - but when you come up against the likes of Jesus Redondo!

Leigh Gallagher on the other hand made the Quarter Finals of the Current Artist tourney so goes into this competition with form on his side.

Can Leigh give the Current Artist Team a surprise early lead? Or will Greg make it clear just how tough this is going to be for artists representing the current Prog as they face off against much loved classic talent?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Leigh Gallagher - more info

Or

Greg Staples - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends ....

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

What, why the new voting, well I have a post in the thread about this tourney about that too.

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too.

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

No need for tie breakers so I get to vote in these - WAYHEY!!!

Interesting one to start with this. I know Leigh Gallagher is much loved and he's done so great work on series I really like (more Kingmaker when you are good and ready there Thargie boy) but there's something about this art that just doesn't quite work for me as much as others. Nothing specific, just one of those subjective things, I find it... pointy... or summit.

Greg Staples is supremely technically talented, but his precise, tight painting isn't a style I naturally gravitate to and some of his early work... well he was growing.

So while I'm excited to vote this might not be the round to start me off perfectly - such is the draw. I'll go -

Greg Staple 3 : Leigh Gallagher 2

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 03 May, 2021, 06:30:16 AM
Leigh Gallagher

Well should have read your post completely. So I give it a split of Leigh Gallagher 4:  Greg Staple 1
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 03 May, 2021, 07:51:17 AM
Well should have read your post completely. So I give it a split of Leigh Gallagher 4:  Greg Staple 1

I think it'll take folks a wee while to get used to the new voting (hence I voted early) and also I made it so you can just vote as normal - scores the artist you voted for a 3 votes. So bonus votes if you do the new way, but no real harm if you don't.

Tomwe

broodblik

I like this interesting new concept because it give us to ability to split your vote. You might like both artists but the one just edge it so you can then go for a 3:2 split.

BPP

3-2 Staples.

If Leigh had continued in B&W it would have been 4-1 Gallagher but I can't think of an artist whose work I feel loses its unique inks so badly in colours. Still a terrific artist just one of those preference things.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

broodblik

Interesting how taste differ. I like Leigh's B/W and colour work equally. His work on Kingmaker was excellent. I also like his take on Aquila.

JayzusB.Christ

Greg Staples has evolved from a not-particularly-impressive artist to one of the best in the business, imo, with a nice range of styles.  Staples for me.  And he looks cool and drinks beer.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

abelardsnazz

Need to mention here Greg's incredible work on Dark Justice, where you can see how much he's grown from his early pages.

Leigh brings atmosphere to Defoe and Aquila and clearly has great fun with Kingmaker.

They're both great, but I think Greg just pips it for me so my scores are Greg Staples 3, Leigh Gallagher 2.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 May, 2021, 10:35:16 AM
Greg Staples has evolved from a not-particularly-impressive artist to one of the best in the business, imo, with a nice range of styles.  Staples for me.  And he looks cool and drinks beer.

Feck sake, I really should read the brief, shouldn't I?

So - Staples 4, Gallagher 3.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

JayzusB sorry to break your stride but you have only 5 points to dish out. So if I look at your equation it is either a 4 - 1 split or a 3 - 2 split

Magnetica

I'm in the opposite camp to BPP when it comes to Leigh Gallagher; I much prefer his colour work on Kingmaker. There is just something about his black and white stuff on Defoe I can't quite get on with.

As for Greg Staples, I kinda think I should like his work more than I do. Sure the covers he has done over the last ten years or so are just incredible and Dark Justice was just beautiful to look at. But it also seemed a bit stiff to me; his action sequences just don't flow in the way that the do with artists like Carlos. And I guess you also have to consider the volume of work.

So over all I'm going:

Staples 3    Gallagher 2