Main Menu

Leigh Gallagher or Greg Staples - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 May, 2021, 06:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: broodblik on 03 May, 2021, 01:47:33 PM
JayzusB sorry to break your stride but you have only 5 points to dish out. So if I look at your equation it is either a 4 - 1 split or a 3 - 2 split

(Slaps forehead)

God I hate myself sometimes.
Right then, Staples 3, Gallagher 2.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dog Deever

hmmm... 3-2 is too close, 4-1 is too far...

Athletico Staples 3 Gallagher United 1

The extra point fell down behind the sofa...
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Barrington Boots

Leigh Gallagher is one of my very favourite artists in 2000ad: I prefer his b&w stuff such as Defoe, but more recently Kingmaker, Hookjaw have been brilliant: characterful, always atmospheric, hyper detailed, grotesque when it's needed, and fantastic at conveying action and movement.

Greg Staples covers are always a joy and his later work is beautiful although also find his action scenes a little stiff. I don't dislike his work, I just much, much prefer Leigh's stuff!

So: Staples 1, Gallagher 4

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Well realised for reason to do with the Google Doc I have these prepped on not updating on one device, for whatever reason (???) I've not put an end date on this one. So just to let folks know I'll count this up first thing Thursday 6th May.

Rogue Judge

Greg Staples 3 : Leigh Gallagher 2

I love Gallagher's work on Kingmaker, but have to give it to Staple.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Funt Solo

Let's see...

There's Staples doing dark justice to the world of art...

With added sweat and grit...

And there's Gallagher out-codpiecing Blackadder...

And tilting our psyche...

Both so talented - but like the man said, the classics are hard to beat.

Staples 3 :: 2 Gallagher
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

3 to Gallagher, 2 to Staples. Staples is breathtakingly good (as well as being the most comics-accurate Judge Dredd), but Gallagher's work on Defoe was one of the most consistently astonishing runs of any artist. The crowd scenes alone... Plus his brilliantly judged monster designs in Hookjaw.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Staples sits alongside Fabry for me in being someone whose work I find technically excellent, and yet it doesn't really click. Gallagher does some solid stuff that isn't quite in my eye-pop zone, but it has more energy to it. So:

Gallagher 3 / Staples 2

AlexF

Yeah, when it comes to comics, Gallagher has something that Staples, even in his super-cartoony phase (around the time of Rogue Troopers, Sinister Dexter and Judge Dredd 'attack of the sex-crazed love dolls) didn't quite pull off.
Gallagher 4, Staples 1

I, Cosh

The way Gallagher's first series of Defoe jumped flawlessly onto the page was astonishing. I'm not as keen on his coloured work but it's certainly not bad. His characters are always fluid and expressive. Great stuff.

Staples, as ever, is in the "respect the craft, dislike the result" bracket for me.

Gallagher 5 - 0 Staples
We never really die.

paddykafka