Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

You're right, Z, this can't be done overnight. We're all too used to the way things are and have been, and to just 'flip a switch' to turn on this way of thinking is both unreasonable and dangerous. First, we've got to get the ideas out there, start debating how and if it can be done, exploring the possible pitfalls and benefits, starting small, educating our children to prepare them for the possibilities and requirements such a future would require and allowing people like me to explore the path without penalty (unless I harm others, of course).
Maybe we could start with a "Freedom License" - just like a driving license where you need to take lessons and pass a test first. We can't just dump an entirely new system on people all at once and make it mandatory otherwise it's no better than forcing everyone to become Communists, Fascists or Scientologists whether they want to be or not.
As you correctly point out, the biggest advantage we have in evolving our society is the internet - with this tool we have a massive advantage over previous generations and a real opportunity to start moving our societies towards a far freer and more humane future.
I firmly believe that humanity stands on the cusp of a new Golden Age which, for possibly the first time in all recorded history, we can ease into rather than forcing into. I think we're living in exciting times that future generations will regard as one of the most important periods in history - The Age of Awakening!
Now, wouldn't you like to be in on that? I know I would!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 May, 2014, 06:54:28 PMIf the answer is yes, then by all means vote for him and let him tell you what to do. If the answer is no, well, I suppose you might as well vote for him and let him tell you what to do anyway.

He knows better than to try giving me orders for reasons I shan't share on a public forum.

ZenArcade

The singularity cannot come quickly enough....anything has to be better than this unworkable, short termist, bullshit infused morass we're in at present....possibly.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

I think the Singularity might be the most overrated and boring eschaton concept yet.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 May, 2014, 08:04:08 PM
I firmly believe that humanity stands on the cusp of a new Golden Age which, for possibly the first time in all recorded history, we can ease into rather than forcing into. I think we're living in exciting times that future generations will regard as one of the most important periods in history - The Age of Awakening!

I'm certain people of the last 10 centuries felt the same at some point in their short lives.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 May, 2014, 08:37:06 PM
I think the Singularity might be the most overrated and boring eschaton concept yet

An eternity spent worshipping at the feet of Our Lord, bathing in the ecstasy of his divinity, wins that competition every time. Sorry, wrong thread.

ZenArcade

By the great Von Neumann, a singularity denier! Burn him; purge him; crush him....do to him whatever, esotheric punishments our post-singularity betters come up with!  :o

JOE SOAP

Does this mean Ray Kurzweil will achieve his dream of turning into a keyboard?

Tombo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 May, 2014, 12:22:29 PM
The big question they all should be asking is why the other 64% didn't vote?

A really convincing party election broadcast by the Apathy Party?

ZenArcade

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 May, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 May, 2014, 06:54:28 PMIf the answer is yes, then by all means vote for him and let him tell you what to do. If the answer is no, well, I suppose you might as well vote for him and let him tell you what to do anyway.

He knows better than to try giving me orders for reasons I shan't share on a public forum.

The system works
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 May, 2014, 08:12:54 PM

This a sub/dom thing, hun?

mogzilla

i just think sharky should stand for the use of the word "cusp"
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Modern Panther

I'm all for the Freedom License thing.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't become a genuine political alternative by the next election.

Course, first we'll need to decide what constitutes "Freedom" and "Common Law rights".  Maybe we could choose representatives, perhaps based on some sort of secret ballot, to make these decisions.  Everyone could choose whether of not to take part, and have free access to all the information. 

Then we'd need some sort of system to resolve any disputes over Freedom, like some sort of Court.  It would probably be best if these decisions where resided over by people who have spend years studying the concepts, but it would be good if ordinary people were involved on occasion, perhaps forming some sort of jury.

Or course, the license will need to be administered by some sort of bureaurocracy, to ensure fair and equal treatment.  We're talking a whole country here, so sometimes we won't be able to address every individual circumstance.  Those who work for this system will be tasked with enforcing the rules, regardless of their personal feelings, otherwise the whole thing would just grind to a halt.

This will all be costly.  Maybe we could all contribute, based on our income and spending, through taxation. 

So: once we all have a government we can take part in, a judiciary to address our legal issues, a civil service which treats everyone the same, and a taxation system, we can all finally be Free.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I'm voting Tempunaut! 

Who is with me?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla