Main Menu

Recent posts

Megazine / Re: Meg 467: Brit for Duty?
Last post by scrotnig - 19 April, 2024, 09:51:21 PM
The Meg always feels slightly flat after a Lawless run but it's pretty good nevertheless. Fantastic to see Armitage back again. One of my favourite strips and characters.

I like the reprints. I haven't read most of them previously so for me it's like having more new stuff!
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Colin YNWA - 19 April, 2024, 09:45:29 PM
Thanks for the 'Likes' super nice!

I do think the fact he's focus on world building, or at least Mega City One extension planning application is a big part of why he's so making such an impact. Instead of focusing down and digging deep into a niche he's doing what Mega City One and Dredd do so well and exploding the world into all sorts of brilliant places driven by compelling characters.

I defo get the Al Ewing love as I said in the write up though it never came together for me, it never felt like a single thing. It was a set of good Dredd not pulled together. I do hope he comes back as I think its there and he could get... well Niemand good!
Megazine / Re: Meg 467: Brit for Duty?
Last post by Colin YNWA - 19 April, 2024, 09:36:17 PM
Well while the Megazine may not be on top form I actually think this is pretty decent.

The Dredd doesn't do a great deal for me but is fine with great art.

Armitage isn't normally my thing but this was pretty good with great art and I'm happy to see more.

DeMarco is good but needs a re-read - art - well see above.

I know the reprint hasn't landed for some but while I've not read it here as I have it all I like Hookjaw and Mark Russell might not be at his best on Dredd - which is weird given it would seem a perfect for him its not bad.

The text pieces are fine but not as good as normal for me.

Harrower Squad took a scene shift that just lost me - again re-read required I think. Art as above.

The highlight though is Devlin Waugh without a shadow of a doubt. It was just brilliant. Art is as good as all the rest of the stuff, possibly, probably the best. The story though was amazing. Something seemingly so benign and mini just had tension and a sense of impending doom just cutting all the way through it... somehow... I've no idea now but it was there and just set up... whatevers to come superbly. Loved it.

So while some needs a re-read nothing was bad and one story was absolute top draw.

Just need me Prog now. Everytime my sub is about to renew always seen to have a problem and that appears to be the case again - sigh - Still this is the Meg thread and that all good.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Jim_Campbell - 19 April, 2024, 08:29:26 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 April, 2024, 04:50:21 PMAl Ewing [...] his body of work is contained, finite and done.

Although, the last time he talked to MOLCH-R for the thrill-cast, he said that he felt he wasn't done with Dredd.

IIRC, he kind of swallowed a remark he clearly wanted to make about not returning until Wagner retires, because he he didn't want to go through the endless "it's not canon if Wagner doesn't write it" shite that some 'fans' spew.

I hope he comes back, and I hope it doesn't take John 'officially' retiring to make that happen. Al wrote some genuinely fantastic Dredds, and I'd like to think he's not done yet.
General / Re: 2000ad suspected IP infrin...
Last post by Richard S. - 19 April, 2024, 08:19:15 PM
publisher is quite happy that this is an "unofficial" publication

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/04/on-buses-look-in-special.html
General / Re: Exposition Death Screams
Last post by Doomlord66 - 19 April, 2024, 08:02:43 PM
Cover to prog 2 had 'aieeeeee its the thing from the hell planet'
Last post by Blue Cactus - 19 April, 2024, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 April, 2024, 03:05:07 PMBest thing shouted whilst being killed in this weeks Battle Action Force from 1986 that I read on my lunchbreak.

You don't really get these exposition death screams in the Prog anymore. Stuff like "The teeth - biting me in two! Aaargh!". Part of me misses how clunky and terrible they are. What's the best / worst you can remember?
The Men in Black - Naaaaaahhh! is ridiculous on many levels.
This frame also has a classic AIEEEEEEE

(Best death in the comic that week is Parsons in HMS Nightshade. It's a classic.)

I'm sure there's some in Flesh, along the lines of 'it's... eating me alive', although I can't remember exactly
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 19 April, 2024, 06:54:24 PM

The most recent one I saw was in the t.v. series, Rome, I forget the episode. Some stuffy Roman numpty, in the act of being run through with a sword says, in a mildly put-out tone, "Sir - I really must protest..." and then dies. Made me groan and laugh at the same time (graugh?). It's not really expositional, though (except in demonstrating the upper-class Roman faith in law and decorum, perhaps), so probably doesn't count here.

Luckily, there's always the old standby, "No! No! Not the teeth!" Or whatever it was.

General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by judgeurko - 19 April, 2024, 06:50:00 PM
Who is Judge Alpha?  :o
General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by broodblik - 19 April, 2024, 06:18:59 PM
From 2000AD's X feed:

Coming Soon: a new Judge is hitting the streets of Mega-City One!

Wait... what the sneck?