Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 July, 2019, 09:31:18 AM
Immortal Hul V2 & V3 for me. Nice!

Really looking forward to reading them.

I am a massive Peter David Hulk fan, but I've found the majority of stuff since he left the title underwhelming. Al Ewing on Hulk? As good as I thought it would be and looking forward to seeing what crazy shite he can come up with.

BPP

Garth Ennis, Al Ewing, Carlos Ezquerra, PJ Holden and a host of others in the Garth Ennis / The Boys Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/garth-ennis-and-more-books
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

Woah, thats good - three volumes of Battlefields in there!

Colin YNWA

Don't know how much of a baragin it is but love it when you make an unplanned and previously unconsidered purchase of a bulk lot. Potting on my holidays in Brighton and aiming to get the boy child the latest Looshkin collection ('Maddest cat in the world' by Jamie Smart a strip from the magnificent Phoenix - highly recommended, but tangential to this tale) we popped to Dave's Comics.

Now first things first Dave's Comics  is a brilliant shop, loved it... well its two shop next door (but one) to each other but it a delight. Anyway I was wondering around and found a complete set of Marvel UK Planet of the Apes for £1 each... I was so tempted but decided to leave it and have a think. One lunch stop later and I was on my way back to the car with the full set (well less 4 but that was more to do with my counting rather than anything else) for a little over £100.

Result!

Rately

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 August, 2019, 09:31:55 AM
Don't know how much of a baragin it is but love it when you make an unplanned and previously unconsidered purchase of a bulk lot. Potting on my holidays in Brighton and aiming to get the boy child the latest Looshkin collection ('Maddest cat in the world' by Jamie Smart a strip from the magnificent Phoenix - highly recommended, but tangential to this tale) we popped to Dave's Comics.

Now first things first Dave's Comics  is a brilliant shop, loved it... well its two shop next door (but one) to each other but it a delight. Anyway I was wondering around and found a complete set of Marvel UK Planet of the Apes for £1 each... I was so tempted but decided to leave it and have a think. One lunch stop later and I was on my way back to the car with the full set (well less 4 but that was more to do with my counting rather than anything else) for a little over £100.

Result!

Love Jamie Smart.

Just wish we could have more Corporate Skull.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 August, 2019, 09:31:55 AM

I was so tempted but decided to leave it and have a think. One lunch stop later and I was on my way back to the car with the full set (well less 4 but that was more to do with my counting rather than anything else) for a little over £100.

I love this kind of anecdote as I, like many here I assume, can totally sympathize with moments of nerd madness such as this.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rately on 07 August, 2019, 09:43:32 AMLove Jamie Smart.
I finally found a Phoenix after weeks of searching locally. I really wanted to like it more than I did. Hopefully, it'll click when I try another. (I think it also flummoxed the child a bit too much – mini-IP is only five. The Beano seems to go down well, though, as we transition away from Hey Duggee magazine and the like.)

I, Cosh

Star Wars Bounty Hunters sale on Comixology for some Wagner/Kennedy/Gibson goodness. Read the first Boba Fett story last night and it was like Stontium Dog if Johnny was a complete and utter bastard!
We never really die.

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2019, 02:46:07 PM
Quote from: Rately on 07 August, 2019, 09:43:32 AMLove Jamie Smart.
I finally found a Phoenix after weeks of searching locally. I really wanted to like it more than I did. Hopefully, it'll click when I try another. (I think it also flummoxed the child a bit too much – mini-IP is only five. The Beano seems to go down well, though, as we transition away from Hey Duggee magazine and the like.)

My daughter is also five and The Phoenix doesn't interest her. The Beano, on the other hand, causes much excitement. The Cor/Buster special also went down a storm (particularly Gums).

IndigoPrime

Mini-G currently gets both. I'd say that The Beano gets more general interest than The Phoenix, but there are specific strips within The Phoenix that she loves (not least anything that Jamie Smart does). I personally wish The Beano would shake up its writing a bit. It is very heavy on the word puns, and it all feels a bit formulaic.

Still, it's interesting how it's diversified very recently. I picked up that special edition box-set off eBay recently, and thumbed through the newest issue, which is only a few years old. Remove Minnie and it's all boys. In the bundled bookazine, the (then?) latest editor noted that with the most recent redesign, they'd realised lots of girls were reading the comic (not overly surprising, given the dearth of extant titles), hence a desire to create more varied strips.

Personally, I think some of those are the best in the comic, notably Betty and the Yeti (heavily revamped) and Rubi. These days, some of the strips feel very odd, though, most glaringly the Bash Street Kids.

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 November, 2019, 03:06:23 PM
These days, some of the strips feel very odd, though, most glaringly the Bash Street Kids.

Yup. There's a quiz question in this week's issue, asking which Bash Street Kid dreams of being a chef. This led to my daughter shouting "It's Fatty!" in a crowded cafe. Fun times.

IndigoPrime

Mm. The combination of names, and Smurfette syndrome makes that strip feel out of place and out of touch, like Lord Snooty did when I used to read the comic in the 1980s. I just wish it was a bit fresher and more anarchic. Betty heads in that direction, but little else does. Bananaman, if anything, feels safer these days than it did in the Nutty. And then you read Bunny vs Monkey and wish all children's comics could be that good.

Dandontdare

The Beano I read in the 70s would not be allowed today - Dennis the Menace was an appalling bully to poor Walter

Greg M.

Walter was a smarmy little creep. Anyone who resembles an adolescent Rees-Mogg deserves all the bullying they get.

Tomwe

And 'the slipper' was practically Dad's logo.