Main Menu

Adverts in 2000ad

Started by Frank, 28 July, 2019, 12:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: AlexF on 30 July, 2019, 01:10:51 PM
I was the type of nerd who was annoyed that a company dared to name itself 'Manga' but had the business model of selling 'anime'

I only learned of the distinction later, but if it's any consolation it struck me as odd on subsequent rereads.

How did Tharg and his corporate partners know the Squaxx were developing hair in strange places and a taste for White Lightning? The 2000AD READER SURVEY, of course!

Does anyone else remember completing and returning the survey stapled* into one of the early colour/glossy cover issues? I remember taking it very seriously and spending ages considering my replies, which I completed in tiny, meticulous ALL-CAPS black biro.

Never thought twice about sharing my personal data with faceless corporations. It was the FaceAPP of its day.

* Which really annoyed me. I spent almost as long unpicking then refolding the staples as I did completing the survey.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: radiator on 30 July, 2019, 05:26:51 PM
I really want a treble treat!

I really want to be 25 years younger...
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 30 July, 2019, 05:57:05 PM
* Which really annoyed me. I spent almost as long unpicking then refolding the staples as I did completing the survey.

Is there any stationery-related injury quite as painful as impaling ones finger while re-closing an opened staple from one of Tharg's mighty organs? The unkindest cut of all.

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 July, 2019, 08:42:48 PM
Quote from: Frank on 30 July, 2019, 05:57:05 PM

Is there any stationery-related injury quite as painful as impaling ones finger while re-closing an opened staple from one of Tharg's mighty organs? The unkindest cut of all.

Yeah, there is. Try staple/drawing pin under the fingernail.

TordelBack

Think I'll pass on that one (I've done it with a fragment of mussel shell, that was quite sufficient).

radiator

I was putting up a poster with drawing pins once, and when I pushed too hard, the plastic head of the pin snapped off and the back end of the pin went right up under my thumbnail. Still remember the sick feeling of looking down to see blood oozing out from under the nail.

sheridan

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 July, 2019, 08:13:12 PM
Quote from: radiator on 30 July, 2019, 05:26:51 PM
I really want a treble treat!

I really want to be 25 years younger...

But do you want to young and handsome?