Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: sauchie on 14 June, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: El Pops on 14 June, 2013, 09:27:35 PM
One minor gripe would be that The Rock's arms aren't as shiny as they were in the Fa5t 5, but that dude still steals the show. The rest of the cast are all definitely actors, and you can really tell they're acting.

You're both hilarious when talking about this film, but I'm pretty sure it's more entertaining listening to you talk about it than watching it myself. I'm currently giving Snakes on a Plane another go, but I'm just not fun enough to make watching it fun in the way I'm sure it is for youz.

I didn't like Snakes on a Plane. Too meta, too tongue-in-cheek. I enjoy The Fast & Furious saga in the same way I enjoy old Arnie movies, or the old Jackie Chan movies when he was still in Hong-Kong. They're played straight-and slightly-po-faced, to set up the jeopardy for the big crazy stunts. The stars may not be great actors, but by Crom, they're great movie stars.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: El Pops on 15 June, 2013, 12:05:13 AM
I didn't like Snakes on a Plane. Too meta, too tongue-in-cheek.

It's the best example ever of why you should never listen to anyone on the internet. 

Charlie boy

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 June, 2013, 09:55:43 AM
Quote from: El Pops on 15 June, 2013, 12:05:13 AM
I didn't like Snakes on a Plane. Too meta, too tongue-in-cheek.

It's the best example ever of why you should never listen to anyone on the internet.
Now I am confused... Having seen Snakes on a Plane (after all the excitement that came before it- it's bad but they know it's bad and they found out people on the internet were making up gag lines for the film, and the director/ screenwriter started using them as a joke and a wink to the people online! etc), I read TordelBack's remark there and found it to be very true. But surely, if his comment is true, it also means I should ignore it...?
Snakes on a Plane tho- yeah, big waste of time but my biggest complaint with it was there is this one truly huge snake in it you see every now and again and while watching I actually got to thinking "As bad as this is, it could be slightly improved if the end is Samuel L. Jackson taking on that snake in a fight for it all..."
Fight never happens. I'd never been so disappointed for making myself sit all the way through a bad film for something that never materialized before.

TordelBack

Quote from: Charlie boy on 15 June, 2013, 10:29:32 AMI read TordelBack's remark there and found it to be very true. But surely, if his comment is true, it also means I should ignore it...?

Enlightenment beckons, grasshopper.

HdE

Bought my old man a BIG stack of DVDs yesterday, just to keep him occupied of an evening since he lost his mum.

last night, we had a double bill of Predators (actually NOT as crap as I remembered it being... but still nowhere near good, in my opinion) and Taken 2.

Now, I REALLY hate the first Taken movie. But I thought the sequel was properly good. It seems to grow pretty organically out of the aftermath of the first movie, and I'm pleased to see that it didn't simply rehash what went before. It didn't seem nearly as contrived as #1, either (save for one particular key sequence).

I think we're tackling Superman Returns tonight, and maybe Looper.   
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Ghost MacRoth

Joseph-Gordon Levitt is fantastic in Looper, he plays Willis so well, the mannerisms, the speech patters, just great.  Not a bad film overall too.

Just Watched 'Bullet To The Head'.  Not bad at all really.  No surprises, it ain't Shakespeare, but Stallone is actually very good in it, playing the dumbass Philli thug role that he really does well. Jason Mamoa is good to as the bad guy, pretty ruthless.  Overall worth a watch, but don't expect any high brow entertainment. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

HdE

I like Levitt as an actor - the first few movies I saw with him in them, I remember thinking 'I ain't gonna get on with this guy' but since Inception, he's really grown on me. I think he'll be a big talent to watch in the coming years.

Daveycandlish

I first saw him in 3rd Rock From The Sun and it's hard to believe little Tommy is now a movie star!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

HdE

Well, I've seen Looper now and...

That was odd. And very good!

It pretty much validated what I said earlier about Joseph-Gordon Levitt. His part felt unique among everything else I've seen him in so far.

Good to see Garrett Dillahunt in the movie, too! An under-rated character actor, so he is.

JamesC

Looper didn't make any sense but I sort of enjoyed it anyway. would watch it again if it came on telly.

Last night I watched Jack Reacher. Loved it. It felt like a cross between a 70s action thriller and a Scandinavian procedural.
Also, I never realised that Rosamund Pike had such a hypnotic cleavage.

Spikes

JamesC

(Half of) Gamer. It was so unbelievably shit that I turned it off halfway through.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: JamesC on 16 June, 2013, 11:07:21 AMLast night I watched Jack Reacher. Loved it.

Wasn't expecting too but I liked it too. Not a fan of Tom Cruise but he was passable in it. Luckily I didn't see the trailer someone posted on the Trailer thread here because it gives away some good bits in it.

Tiplodocus

MUD
Great stuff. Simple plot but with great characterisation and nice turns from the two lead kids and the usually egregious Matthew McConneghy. Sam Shephard also great but boy is he looking old. There's more than a touch of Huck Finn about it (no bad thing but this is less romanticised myth) and it's beautifully photographed despite focusing on some of the grimier parts of America.  For all it's simplicity, there are lots of levels going on.

And for those yearning for such things, Michael Shannon pops up for three excellent little scenes - just funny and character driven stuff that don't advance the plot in any way.

Highly recommended.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

I watched Hitman on TV last night. It was really bad. Some scenes that genuinely did not make any sense and bad bad writing...

I stuck on Dog Soldiers today while I was writing. Hadn't seen it in years, but by Gan it holds up. Great stuff.