Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

I think it's a 'head in the oven' reference. Or he may just be drunk early today.  :D

Saw Sylvia's grave this summer at Hebden Bridge. Covered in pens, trinkets and bad teenage poetry.

Richmond Clements

QuoteCovered in pens, trinkets and bad teenage poetry.

In death, as in life...

uncle fester

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 October, 2010, 09:32:20 AM
Saw Sylvia's grave this summer at Hebden Bridge. Covered in pens, trinkets and bad teenage poetry.

Hebden Bridge?? The back end of nowhere?? Is that where she's buried?

EDIT: Well, I suppose it is quiet...

Dandontdare

Quote from: uncle fester on 08 October, 2010, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 October, 2010, 09:32:20 AM

Oi, don't knock HB! It's a lovely little town with one of the best social clubs & live music venues around, the wonderful Hebden Bridge Trades Club. In the same graveyard (which is actually next door in Heptonstall) I noticed several fairly new graves that had been adorned with cans of special brew, bottles of San Miguel and cigarettes. Shortly after, I heard of a documentary doing the cinema rounds about young local alcoholics and drug addicts, prompted by a spate of deaths.

It's also a hotbed of lesbianism apparently, partly thanks to Sylvia!

Mikey

I've a cold rapidly developing. I can't remember the last time I had a cold,but I've got that once removed, slightly stoned feeling. So it's not all bad.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Banners

Quote from: Dandontdare
Quote from: uncle fester

Oi, don't knock HB!

It's where Ted Hughes' old cottage is (and presumably where she topped herself). You too can stay there thanks to the Arvon Foundation, which I did about ten years ago.

M@

Dandontdare

Quote from: Banners on 08 October, 2010, 11:22:11 AM
Quote from: uncle fester

Oi, don't knock HB!

It's where Ted Hughes' old cottage is (and presumably where she topped herself). You too can stay there thanks to the Arvon Foundation, which I did about ten years ago.

M@

S'right. The grave used to be regularly vandalised by angry feminists 'cos it said Sylvia Plath-Hughes - They used to chisel off the name Hughes, leaving only the Plath, on account of him being such a bastard to her.

uncle fester

Sorry, I grew up up that way. I have a slightly biased memory of it. Not as much fun being a moody teenager as a interested tourist, perhaps  :)

Dandontdare

Quote from: uncle fester on 08 October, 2010, 12:17:06 PM
Sorry, I grew up up that way. I have a slightly biased memory of it. Not as much fun being a moody teenager as a interested tourist, perhaps  :)

Ha ha, true. I love the place, and would happilly move there if I had the money and didn't have to commute to work. It looks beautiful, has nice pubs (and the aforementioned Trades Club), it's on a handy railway line, a more lefty/bohemian population than a lot of small towns, and it's set in stunning countryside.

Did you hear about the film I mentioned (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/why-has-hebden-bridge-become-suicide-central-1811034.html)? It's not something a visitor would notice about the place, though there were a lot of youths drinking in the park last time I was there. Interesting mention in that article about "valley bottom fever".

Noisybast

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 October, 2010, 09:17:42 AM
I made a sausage casserole and left the oven on all night.

So that's 12 hours @ 180o = Fucking huge electricity bill. At least the kitchen was toasty warm as I made my breakfast.

Yeah, I cleaned my teeth the other day and went to work, leaving the tap running.
Not looking forward to the water bill.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

SquashedFly

A certain acquaintance of my girlfriend happened to stumble upon the subject of physical attraction and felt the need to point out my lack of it, saying I'm a bit chubby, and fat isn't exactly nice to look at. Now I am no oil painting thats for sure and saying I am a bit chubby is probably putting it lightly, but I'd rather the cheeky twat keep his opinions too himself from now on, especially knowing in the past he has made, to me at least, some inappropriate remarks about her as well. Now I am all for having an opinion but take umbrage with plain old rude pricks. I havent done anything that I know of to him, I also felt he seemed unnecessarily rude when I was chatting to him the other day, coming across as hostile for no reason which I pointed out to him. Something that pisses me off beyond belief, maybe its just me and my tolerance of people and their shit is rapidly dwindling.  ;)

Anyway sorry for the rant again everyone becoming a bit of a bad habit  :-[  Now in my time I have developed a rather thick skin when it comes to comments about me, but this was an instance where I felt it was really unnecessary and petty to stoop to that level. Oh well, not reason enough to give the bastard a good hiding, shame  ;) :D

SmallBlueThing

SquashedFly

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 08 October, 2010, 08:14:54 PM
He fancies her. Punch him.
SBT

It's obvious innit? He basically admitted as much a while ago, problem is I would have to travel down to Coventry to do it and I really doubt she would be happy about it  :lol: He is one of those types who has a thing for a number of people though so I'm not too worried. It's all rather complicated because its a long distance thing. He just wants "a girl" I want this girl, I've never really been one to follow the "women are vaginas on legs waiting to be plundered" train of thought. She knows that so I am not panicking just yet. And after all I am the one seeing her in a weeks time

She seemed rather pissed off about what he said as well though anyway so I'll keep my hair on for now  ;)

I am probably being a little unfair considering he has aspergers as well but Its not suddenly an excuse to be a knobhead now is it?  :-\

Roger Godpleton

The radio edit of "Fuck You" to "Forget You" really saps the fun out of that song.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!