Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

I had gotten to the bottom of the six flights of stairs this morning before I noticed that my front tire had suffered a quite extraordinary blowout over the weekend while it was sitting in the hall.

And it's only know that I've realised I haven't changed it yet.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 June, 2011, 03:53:55 PM

I also had another episode in Smiths, when I collected the latest issue of Comic Heroes. It wasn't on the shelves and so I had to get the manager out, AGAIN! Luckily for him, before it heated up a customer had heard what was going on and had seen it on the shelves. Guess where it was............................that's right with the toddlers fucking comics! What a FUCKING JOKE  >:D

I had something similar happen when picking up 2000 AD today. They were'nt in their usual place, so I thought maybe they'd all been bought, what with being out for 6 days, etc. I went off for a wander and turned round, and... there it was. On a completely different shelf. Not the ones on the sides of the shop but a small rack...

Not much of an impediment, because at least I found it. It doesn't really help draw readers doing that though. I wouldn't have thought to look on that particular rack. I found it completely by accident.

SmallBlueThing

Not really an impediment, but we dont have a thread for things that just make you go :/

Ive just found out that the house me and my lady lived in, in dublin, was sold a year after we moved out, for €9.3m, and made all the papers. Halcam court on pembroke road, and it's now luxury apartments.

When we lived there it was a damp, dark, lunatic-infested hellhole, and i now regret all the work i did on it to improve it for whoever came after us.

It was just across the road from andrea corr though.

SBT

TordelBack

QuoteIve just found out that the house me and my lady lived in, in dublin, was sold a year after we moved out, for €9.3m, and made all the papers. Halcam court on pembroke road, and it's now luxury apartments.

I wouldn't fret too much - it was bought by Gerry Gannon, the 'man in the hat', who owes NAMA (the state (mis)managed 'bad bank' agency for property loans in default) €1 billion last I looked, and Halcom Court probably worth a third of what he paid for it, has likely been mysteriously transferred to his wife's name, and is probably heading towards one of the ever-increasing numbers of profitable fires round that way.  Poor sod had to sell his jet and his helicopter, I ask you what kind of life is that for a man. 

Peter Wolf

The problem i have which has been an annoyance for while now is that i cant find a knife that i have had for a very long time.It is a diving knife that has a 9.5 " inch long blade with a serrated edge.It hasnt left the house recently or not for a good while and it has vanished or else it is somewhere that i havent looked yet but where that place is i have no idea as i have checked everywhere.As far as i knew it was always kept in the drawer in the kitchen along with cooking knives and various cooking utensils.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Rog69

My Mother had her Email account "Hacked" and could access it.

I went round earlier tonight to try and sort it out for her and it seems that all you need to know to access and reset the password for a Talk Talk / Tiscali account is the account holder's email address and date of birth :o.

Thoughtfully, they will send you an email telling you that your account password has been reset, but as you have already lost the account by that point and can't actually access your email...... ::)

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 June, 2011, 12:16:52 AM
I had gotten to the bottom of the six flights of stairs this morning before I noticed that my front tire had suffered a quite extraordinary blowout over the weekend while it was sitting in the hall.

And it's only know that I've realised I haven't changed it yet.
And then! When I got round to changing it, it turns out the spare inner tube I've been riding around with for the last six months has a bloody great hole in it. Of course I only find that out after I've put it all back together.
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 29 June, 2011, 06:37:23 PM
The problem i have which has been an annoyance for while now is that i cant find a knife that i have had for a very long time.It is a diving knife that has a 9.5 " inch long blade with a serrated edge.It hasnt left the house recently or not for a good while and it has vanished or else it is somewhere that i havent looked yet but where that place is i have no idea as i have checked everywhere.As far as i knew it was always kept in the drawer in the kitchen along with cooking knives and various cooking utensils.

Ye could build a super-powerful-electro-magnet,  strap it to the top of a remote-controlled car, then rally that bitch 'round yer gaff. Ye'll find it in no time

Or ye could pray to St. Anthony

....I'm not really helping am I?
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Rog69 on 29 June, 2011, 09:45:32 PM
My Mother had her Email account "Hacked" and could access it.

I went round earlier tonight to try and sort it out for her and it seems that all you need to know to access and reset the password for a Talk Talk / Tiscali account is the account holder's email address and date of birth :o.

Thoughtfully, they will send you an email telling you that your account password has been reset, but as you have already lost the account by that point and can't actually access your email...... ::)

That's worrying. I took Shark's advice and downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird as Talk Talk's e-mail won't work on the latest Firefox (Thanks again BTW - works great!) but worryingly I got this message during installation:

"WARNING:
IMAP.TISCALI DOES NOT USE ENCRYPTION
SMTP.TISCALI.CO.UK DOES NOT USE ENCRYPTION
Thunderbird can allow you to get your mail using the provided configurations. However, you should contact your administrator or email provider regarding these improper connections."

Further emails to the support people just generate standard replies about "so, you're having trouble accessing your e-mail account..."

Seems like security isn't their strong point. Should I be worried? There's nothing useful in my emails but I'm concerned about Paypal

The Legendary Shark

DDD, there are many email alternatives. You don't have to stick with what your ISP gives you. Some good alternatives here:

http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

Use one of these for Paypal and such and your Talk Talk thing for stuff that doesn't matter.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SmallBlueThing

Fucking buggeration. Both my kids have headlice; which we discovered at 9:45 tonight when they came down moaning they couldnt sleep because they were itchy. So annoyingly, we have to apply nytol and change all the bedding. Then we sit down to watch psychoville series two, and find the dvd player is knackered and wont work. It's been on the blink for ages, but has finally died. Shitballs.
SBT

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 July, 2011, 10:23:48 PM
Then we sit down to watch psychoville series two, and find the dvd player is knackered and wont work. It's been on the blink for ages, but has finally died. Shitballs.
SBT

Thats the most annoying thing ever and its always at the worst possible time.I had a portable stereo and a DVD player that had minds of their own as in when they wanted to function properly and they both met a very unpleasent end as i ran out of patience with them.

SmallBlueThing

And to make it immesurably worse, I wake up this morning and tell my eldest that he won't be able to watch DVDs this weekend, and he just gives me THAT LOOK and says "It's okay daddy, I'll just watch them through the PS3".

Why the SPUG didn't I think of that? ARGH.

SBT

Peter Wolf

I dreamt that i was talking to Tony Blair this morning.I cant recall what the context was or what was said but Blair was sort of oily or sweaty and his voice was exactly the same as in reality along with him grinning again exactly the same as in reality.

House of Usher

I've known for some time that the roof was missing a few slates at the back of the house and that I would eventually have to get it fixed because sooner or later the roof would start leaking; I just didn't know where I was going to find a few hundred quid to get the job done. Well, it can't be put off any longer: a water penetration stain has now appeared on the landing ceiling and in the corner of the guest bedroom. A visual inspection of the problem carried out from atop a neat pile of bricks at the end of the neighbour's garden reveals that there is a gap in our roof which resembles a letter box. No wonder there has been rain coming in. I'm sure it wasn't like that when we first noticed the problem.
STRIKE !!!